6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Got a new project

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsm180
If it was mine the bearings would get replaced in pairs, I would not replace just one half. What did you use for assembly lube? There is more wear than I would expect to see in 1 hour unless the lube was too thin or contaminants were present.
Of course the lube was too thin. That's why we're here. Lol. But you were referring to the assembly lube being too thin. There's only so much that fits in there. Lol

Old 06-01-2015, 12:00 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with your Gut feeling Anthony , you guys have been busting your tail on this project so don't skimp now , if you think for one second that it ran dry for too long then replace them , you do have some recourse with the Machine shop and I would very much get them involved . that way they don't make it another mistake again. good luck Bud and thanks for taking the time to video the build . Now go get some sleep you got a lot of explaining to do Lucy

Old 06-01-2015, 12:58 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
I've pulled engines apart with 5-10 hours on them and the bearings look just like they did when they were put in. I only use lubriplate if the engine is going to sit for a long time before test running but it is a good lube. If the engine is going to run right away I use 60wt Aeroshell.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
I've learned by being online,,, someone always can do it better. No sweat tho.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Anthony that wear is normal,thats what they will look like after running.I've pulled multipal motors at the track after just one run. You can change the bearings but the outcome will be the same.......all is good. If it makes you feel better change them with new and save them in the boxes for another project

Old 06-01-2015, 02:59 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Anthony that wear is normal,thats what they will look like after running.I've pulled multipal motors at the track after just one run. You can change the bearings but the outcome will be the same.......all is good. If it makes you feel better change them with new and save them in the boxes for another project

Agreed. I have pulled multiple inline engines as new from Yamaha and Kawasaki for modification and would say 99 out of 100 bearings look the same.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Do what you think is right Anthony, that is all that matters.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm on board with that,It's a long way to go for warranty work,plus it's a big ticket and word of mouth goes a long way on the net. Change them and have piece of mind,use them in a shop project down the road and prove it to yourself.I went though it in my day,it's all part of the business learning experience.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:45 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
GOOD JOB

Good job on the find pal. I'll be honest. I would be completely pissed if I were the one wrenching on this little project. Having had multiple heads off these engines myself, and sent out to the machine shop, I never would've thought myself to notice any missing plugs. That video reminds me of a 5.4 engine I once plunked a new cylinder head assembly on, years ago. Upon engine startup, a very large pool of engine oil came gushing out from the rear of the engine. Turned out, it was missing an oil gallery plug. This was a COMPLETE cylinder head assembly (with valves, lash adjusters, followers and can). So, I wouldn't have thought to check for that missing oil gallery plug. Since then, on EVERY engine I have apart, I check for such seemingly trivial little things like that. Live and learn, and don't be too hard on yourself.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Glad you got that figured out. What a headache.

Also in case anyone hasn't seen here is video 14. Look how pretty everything looks and hear about the wonderfulness of the banks exhaust.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Well,, we are going to replace the gpcm after all. Lol. The fan clutch and ac manifold line also. We had to stop last night because we didn't have the ac line(s) that connect to the compressor. Got the engine back in chassis,, should be firing it tonight. The ac line was in Omaha. It's an excursion with rear ac,, so most of the ac stuff is different than f series. Do you guys use shellac on the oil galley plugs?? I used Indian head on these.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
All is well

Just watched the video. Guess I was talking to myself. Lol can't hear nothing I'm saying.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Great work Anthony, I have to ask though. Are they leaving the front fender like that?!?!

Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
It's got a date at the body shop once it gets home. I guess it's gonna be still under the knife for two more weeks there. They are changing the color scheme. It's gonna get new carpet and upholstery too. We are replacing all the weatherstripping too. I know it looks"half done", but by the end of July,,, it's gonna be show quality. Not sure they want to make the new color scheme public,,, these are stolen everyday. Lol

Old 06-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Anthony have you thought about using something like Lizardskin
Spray-On Insulation - Automotive Insulation Coatings | LizardSkin
for sound and heat control? Here is the link. I have not used it but they did
use if on The PowerBlock Show "Trucks" PowerBlock

You might be able to get them to get you a good price on it being a diesel shop.

Spray-On Insulation - Automotive Insulation Coatings | LizardSkin

I keep kicking around the idea of doing the inside of the doors and back of the cab under the carpet.

Sean

Quick Reply: Got a new project