New RV to me

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
It is a cheaper way to go, but I am not sure you will be happy with it.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 PM
rockertom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
It is a cheaper way to go, but I am not sure you will be happy with it.
Actually I am leaning that way, and not sure I want to drill more holes in the A-Frame if I don't have to. Which WD system would you purchase if it were you? I am not opposed to spending the money for the right system as I intend to keep this a long time. This one came with it. So I am not out any coin. Was just trying to make it work.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rockertom
Actually I am leaning that way, and not sure I want to drill more holes in the A-Frame if I don't have to. Which WD system would you purchase if it were you? I am not opposed to spending the money for the right system as I intend to keep this a long time. This one came with it. So I am not out any coin. Was just trying to make it work.
Where are you located?

Old 03-28-2015, 07:19 PM
rockertom
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Where are you located?
Orlando, FL

Old 03-28-2015, 07:33 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rockertom
Orlando, FL
Too far away. I was going to loan you my old double cam to see if it made a difference.

Here's my take on this situation. You have a "white knuckle" situation if the sway is significant when you are passed. That is at least scary and makes for a tiring pull. Sometimes those situations are really hard to straighten out. I think they are a bit more common with shorter wheelbase trucks, but that is just my guess.

The friction sway controls are cheap, but I have found them to be less effective than some of the hitches with integrated sway control.

So far you have followed a logic course and still have what sounds like some problem. If the remaining sway is minor, an additional friction controller may do it. If the sway is significant, I am concerned throwing another friction sway control in the mix may not be enough, so I am trying to think of something to make a more pronounced change.

I guess you don't know anyone who would let you borrow another model hitch? My favorites without going way up the price ladder are double cams, but others should chime in here too. Hensleys are super, but also come with a serious price tag.

Steve

Old 03-28-2015, 09:10 PM
rockertom
Senior User
Well, I will see how it goes this coming weekend as I will be taking the camper to Daytona for the weekend. Since your talking double cams. I was looking at this set up from Reese.
Amazon.com: Reese 66074 Strait-Line 1200 lbs. Trunnion Bar: Automotive Amazon.com: Reese 66074 Strait-Line 1200 lbs. Trunnion Bar: Automotive

Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Get a good WDH like a equalizer hitch and be done with it. Runs about $500 or so on amazon. I had the same issues you did and put the equalizer on it. Its great i wouldnt tow without one. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Whether it is hitches or whatever, I know I sound like a broken record, but there is a difference between the most inexpensive components and higher priced ones. In my opinion, the most moderately priced should not be regarded as suitable for more than "occasional" use.

For example, for a while I was buying the basic hitches, six at a time, complete with bars and all for $97.00 and selling them for $200, but I would never use them myself. They just don't control as well as the more expensive models.

For me, that means the first rule I have is to make sure everything is up to the job, shocks, suspension, components, etc. Otherwise the fixes are little more than band aids trying to cover over basic inadequacies.

In regards to hitches, I have heard some folks who favor equalizers, I have heard some folks favor double cams, but I have never heard anyone say they cured a weight distribution problem by going to a cheaper hitch.

Just my two cents.

Steve

Old 03-29-2015, 04:04 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man what a nice travel trailer! I looked it up. We've owned a few over the years and I'm now thinking of going from our current 30ft 5th wheel to a 30ft travel trailer. I've towed with and without WD even when I should have used WD. I haven't found it to help or hurt with regards to sway. Not enough tongue weight can cause sway. Soft or squirmy tires on the truck or trailer can also cause sway. RV manufacturers often use barely enough tire for the load and they're often very soft and squishy as a result. This will let the trailer blow all over your lane behind you. Is it sway or is the trailer being pushed around by passing trucks? Sway can start on it's own and wants to get worse. Push from passing trucks ends when the truck has passed. Then you'll feel the truck's turbulence until he gets far enough ahead of you. Very unnerving until you get used to it. Just throwing some thoughts your way. We've been enjoying RV trailer camping for about 25 years.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 PM
rockertom
Senior User
RV_Tech, I am looking over the various hitches. I believe my truck to be in good order. As I do maintain it well. Perhaps not clean. But mechanical. Every 5k it goes in for alignment, and tire rotation and balance. Love the lifetime stuff from Firestone. Plus I hit the intervals of fluids when the manual says too. That and if Firestone can make a buck on a service they would let me know it needs it. I think I have it sorted from the last pull trial I did yesterday. I plan on taking it out this weekend. It wasn't a white knuckle after the final adjustment.
SDTriton250, I was having the problem with the big rigs as they approached. When they changed the air flow upon the initial contact. I did have several pass me again yesterday and it wasn't bad. In reviewing my numbers from the scale weight after final adjustment. Since the scale was a 3 pad. It gave me the trailer axle weight. Doing the math it looks like I have 960lbs on the tongue. That equals 12% of the trailer weight. Since you mentioned the trailer tires. That struck me as the only thing I did not check. That will be done when I pull it out of storage and go by an air pump if needed. Could be my culprit? Anyways. Thanks for chiming in so far. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks for the prop on the trailer. We are really liking it so far.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:07 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I think you are doing a great job! If all you are feeling is the initial push of air, it is not big deal. The current recommendation for tire pressures is they are always aired to sidewall maximum.

Our maintain our tow truck better than the stuff we only use locally because it is such a pain to break down hundreds of miles from home.

We were in Florida most of the winter. The traffic around Orlando was crazy. Sometimes I was 10 mile over the speed limit and still being passed by everybody. Yow!!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely air those tires to max on the sidewall. I prefer stiff sidewall bias ply trailer tires for their stability but radials are softer for the trailer and contents and give better mileage.
Traffic in Florida has been crazy for a couple of months at least. We just returned from a short trip to north Florida and back to Tampa. Four hours to get to Lake City from Tampa. On the return, traffic was backed up for about 20 miles due to an overturned Penske truck in the northbound lanes of I-75 in Pasco County. Sometimes US19 is much faster.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:19 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Congrats on the new trailer!!!! If you have the $$ to spend, The best hitches on the market are ProPride and Hennsley hands down... They guarantee no sway or your $$ back. I didn't have the extra $$ for one of them so i bought a Equalizer with 4 way sway control and have been very happy with it.

Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | Truck RV Trailer Hitch Accessories | ProPride, Inc.

Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated...Guaranteed

Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
Congrats on the new trailer!!!! If you have the $$ to spend, The best hitches on the market are ProPride and Hennsley hands down... They guarantee no sway or your $$ back. I didn't have the extra $$ for one of them so i bought a Equalizer with 4 way sway control and have been very happy with it.

Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | Truck RV Trailer Hitch Accessories | ProPride, Inc.

Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated...Guaranteed
Agree, but man the admission price is intense!!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:15 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find a used one....
I had a propride for the 35' tt we had and it absolutely made that thing stay behind our Ford Excursion - sold it for about $1500 when we moved to a 5er...

You saved SO much money on the rv, don't skimp on the hitch as it may be fine for 90% of the time and then that other 10% becomes dangerous REAL quick and without warning...

good luck ! and if you stay with tt's you've got a good hitch forever !

Quick Reply: New RV to me