Sponsored by: Moser

Dealing with a mechanic advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:46 PM
samwill226
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealing with a mechanic advice

Hey guys. I need some feedback on my situation. I am pretty frustrated, but not sure how to handle it. Short story, I have a '73 F100 with a '76 302. I wanted to put power brakes on the truck, and since I have no brake experience, I took a new booster AND bracket over to a local shop to get installed. The guys said he would get on it no problem. This was February 3rd. I drive by the shop every day and saw the truck not moved for a week. I didn't think much of it, and had actually bought some 1970 351 heads that same week and decided to stop in to see if they could clean them. They could and it was $40. I paid and was told, while they were doing the booster, they could save me the trouble and install the heads for me. I was then told that those heads wouldn't be as good as a "SPARE" set of 289 heads they had "sitting around collecting dust" and maybe those would be a better idea. I said ok get me a price on them, he said he would give me a "Good deal".

The following week I waited, and waited for a call, on the 289 head price, so I finally called up there late second week of February. I was told they still didn't have a price to get the 289 heads ready. The guy I was talking with before was out, and the new guy asked if he could help. I told him the situation. He said he would check on it, and call me back. He didn't.

Third week of February I call back up there. The original guy was out, so I asked to speak to the one who never called me back. He said he got busy, but he did look at these 289 heads, and could not figure out why we would use them. He said my 351W heads should be fine! I said "Well that was my original plan anyway!" I told him that I did NOT have a huge budget and what did he think the 289's would cost anyway? He stated $1000 was scratching the surface. I told him no way was I paying that. He said he agreed and thought the 351W heads would be fine, quicker, and easier! I replied "Fine...go ahead with it." He tells me from here on out only to call for him so we can keep things straight. I asked him when they could install the 351's? He said they still needed to clean them (Yes STILL needed to clean them).

Forth week I call back because I figured the job was close to finish. I call up there and the original guy answered (Mr. 289). He said the guy who talked me back into the 351W WAS ON VACATION all week. No one had touched the truck yet. And he wanted to know why we aren't doing 289 heads. We went round and around, and finally I told him it was cost. He said that was fine and they would start taking the engine apart to check the heads and see if the pistons were flat top (they were). He said if they were the 351W would work fine, he would call me back. He didn't. I wait a few days and call mid week. He said the pistons were flat and the 351W heads would work....(Duh). He said they would get it finished up the next few days.

I finally get a call on March 4th oddly from the shop. The question was "Do you have gaskets and bolts for these heads?" WHAT? No, why would I? He says ok "We're trying to wrap this up!" and hangs up. I hear nothing. So I call back the end of the following week March 11th. He says they hadn't put the head on yet.... I said I needed to know prices and time frames. He said he didn't know, but would get someone to call me with all of that by days end. No one called.

I call them this week 3/19. They don't have a price for anything done at this point. He said the heads were on, the brake booster was on. He also says they put a new intake manifold on and are trying to find a 4 barrel carb...Wait...what? When did all this happen? I told them to put the 2 barrel back on it that I didn't approve any of that and I can do it myself. He then says that I need King Pins, Brakes, and a Kick Down cable and did I want them to do it. I told him I still needed a price on things done up to this point first. He said ok he would call me back the end of the day. He didn't. So I gave him the morning, and called at 2PM. He still doesn't have a price for me he was "so busy". I told him I couldn't do this game anymore and wanted to get my truck next week.

This is just a "taste" of the time frame. There have been more calls un-returned, more "I'll call you right backs" that never happen, and I STILL DO NOT HAVE ANY NUMBERS. What would you guys do? Am I overreacting? Should I tell them I am coming to take my truck home next week and to have it done? What type of bill should I expect before I argue with them?

BTW the heads were not bored. They only needed to be set for unleaded gas and cleaned...

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2015, 02:02 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if I drove by there alot, I would have stop in, not called. Harder to BS you face to face. Things do happen and the ones that aren't an emergency are usually the ones pushed back. I use a good shop and they know I can do the work myself, so I don't get any run around. He also has a price for every thing they do, and has it ready when he calls. I don't believe you are asking to much and I would not be going back.

I run my own business doing mainly service work. I do great work, but I am horrible at time management. But, if I have work scheduled, I stick to it, or at least call to reschedule.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:06 PM
samwill226
New User
Thanks for the reply. Only reason I haven't stopped in is because usually my kid is in the car seat sleeping on the way home. I'd either have to wake up or carry him in, neither one I want to do with a 2 year old. You're right, if I could have been face to face it would have been better. I feel like when I call them, or stop in, they get busy on it for 24 -48 hours. As soon as the coast is clear I feel like it get's pushed out. It's like cat and mouse at this point.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:09 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Pretty p--ss poor operation. Good time to contact the Better Business Bureau.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:15 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope for your sake that the quality of their work isn't as bad as the quality of their time management and customer service ...

Old 03-20-2015, 03:23 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
I would get my truck out of there ,you were patient enough."Originally Posted by co425 <a href="https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1009344-my-70-s-f-250-a-3.html#post10694549" target="_blank">https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/im...s/viewpost.gif
Sounds like a crappy shop. Time to cut your losses and find another. That's why for 99% of my stuff I just do it myself then i know it's right."

Old 03-20-2015, 03:27 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
If the truck is still outside and you have proof of ownership call a tow truck and get it yanked out of there... more than likely they are going to try and screw with you on cost too...

Old 03-20-2015, 04:00 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One major issue I see is that you still don't have an idea of what you are paying for the services rendered. What is to stop them from charging you $1500 for the head work? I would stop by, pop the hood on my truck and see exactly what has been done myself. If there has been no work, then get your parts and leave.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
This is why my tool box gets bigger and bigger.. I have tried at least 6 local mechanics and they are all incompetent.. Be careful with that "I'll get back to you with the price" because they're going to hit you big. I don't leave without a written quote if I unfortunately have to use another set of hands

Old 03-20-2015, 04:30 PM
dentsides
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree look to see the work done. Have the truck towed home. Report it to bbb. Also if you signed no paperwork for approval and or estimates you owe nothing.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 PM
1995F150XLT4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy - I'd walk out of that situation. Get your truck out of there. Sounds like they're gonna screw you on a number AND your truck most likely