Fuel Tank Sending Unit - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign In
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fuel Tank Sending Unit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Senior User

rswhitmore is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Has anyone here modified a Mustang fuel tank sending unit for use with Dolphin gauge? I have a new 1970 Mustang fuel tank with new stock fuel sending unit. The stock unit reads 90 ohms empty and 0 ohms full (by design). Dolphin/Shark fuel gauges need a 0-90 ohm sending unit, but 90 ohms full and 0 ohms empty. Naturally my gauge reads backwards.

I contacted Dolphin and they told me I could send them the Mustang unit and they would modify it to work with their gauge. I am sure this would entail grounding the opposite end of the resistor, and hooking the wire to the end that is now grounded (swapping the wire and grounded ends of the resistor terminals). I would like to do it myself rather than wait for weeks to get the unit back. I am curious how accessible the terminal on the grounded end of the resistor is, and if anyone has done this.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you know what to do...best thing is to just go ahead and do it.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Senior User

rswhitmore is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Sender Modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
Sounds like you know what to do...best thing is to just go ahead and do it.
I ordered a new fuel sending unit last night. Thought I would start with a new unit with no fuel residue in it, and they are not too expensive. With the popularity of the Mustang gas tanks and Dolphin/Shark gauges I can't be the only one who has this problem. If it works out I will post a thread on how to make the modification.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to beholdCharlieLed is a splendid one to behold
Good for you, I bet that you will find that the mod is fairly simple and well worth the knowledge gained. It has been my experience that most gearheads do not comprehend rheostats or basic electricity so you are well ahead of the game.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:27 AM