Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

89 idi sudden lose of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:29 PM
7.3IDIDiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 idi sudden lose of power

truck info 89 f250 5spd 200k new ip and injectors 2 years ago new fuel filter and now new lift pump

after installing a turbo from a 93 factory turbo(he rebuilt it) we took it for TEST run over a steep mountain drove great (best the truck ever drove he said) went got boost gauge ant what not but on the way back half way up the mountain within a sec the truck loss power hard, developed a bad rattle(sounds like one cylinder), and blew black smoke bad(but not rich coal).

got back to the shop and installed boost and cracked lines to help bleed. drove again same no power psi never went past 8 psi.

also after install the truck had a tick in the fuel line in the frame like the lift pump died and the ip was sucking fuel so we replaced the lift pump and blew out the fuel lines but no change but now it blows white smoke bad

Could the ip be failing? also we turned the ip 1 flat any help would be nice

Old 03-19-2015, 01:38 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
This might be from left field, but what about the timing gears / chain? Old enough that with the new power it could have jumped a tooth?

Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM
7.3IDIDiesel
Freshman User
i thought bout that pump timing to but the truck ran great for 2 yrs and its a southern oregon pump and it had great power as a N/A

Old 03-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
Crack each injector line one at a time. If one does not cause the engine to stumble or does not change the engine sound as much as the others, then that is most likely a bad injector.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:44 PM
7.3IDIDiesel
Freshman User
we already cracked every injector as to help bleed nothing changed even felt the lines no abnormal heat

Edit: my bad yes the engine stumble for a sec on every line

Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
Originally Posted by 7.3IDIDiesel
truck info 89 f250 5spd 200k new ip and injectors 2 years ago new fuel filter and now new lift pump

after installing a turbo from a 93 factory turbo(he rebuilt it) we took it for TEST run over a steep mountain drove great (best the truck ever drove he said) went got boost gauge ant what not but on the way back half way up the mountain within a sec the truck loss power hard, developed a bad rattle(sounds like one cylinder), and blew black smoke bad(but not rich coal).

got back to the shop and installed boost and cracked lines to help bleed. drove again same no power psi never went past 8 psi.

also after install the truck had a tick in the fuel line in the frame like the lift pump died and the ip was sucking fuel so we replaced the lift pump and blew out the fuel lines but no change but now it blows white smoke bad

Could the ip be failing? also we turned the ip 1 flat any help would be nice
Missed that the first time I read through. What does the white smoke smell like? sweet like coolant or just like unburnt fuel? Blown head gasket? Open radiator cap while running check for bubbles.

White smoke can be caused by the ip. Just experience that on my 89, 5 months after ip had been rebuilt. advance piston went bad in the pump.

Just a couple things to check.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:45 PM
7.3IDIDiesel
Freshman User
raw fuel also just talked to him the ticking in the fuel line went away with the new lift pump is it possible that the lift pump failed without notice awhile ago and over time the ip burnt up running on that solo? iv ran only on my ip when my 6.2 broke a fuel pump pushrod for 20+ miles nver hurt anything but who knows how long his ran on the ip

we gonna go put clear fuel line on right now to go check flow

Old 03-19-2015, 03:11 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
I'm gonna sit over here by the beer fridge and wait to hear about fuel flow.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 PM
7.3IDIDiesel
Freshman User
we just put a clear hose on no air bubbles after a sec of running got on the phone with the injection company they told us to push that rocker arm in on the side of the pump ran way quieter and smoother and they told us its retards the timing so some how the pump advanced itself i dont think it skipped a tooth and if it woulda i think it would have caused a striped gear? anyone have this problem or know of this?

Edit: the truck didnt sputter at full throttle so its getting fuel i would guess

Old 03-20-2015, 12:03 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by SDElwood
This might be from left field, but what about the timing gears / chain? Old enough that with the new power it could have jumped a tooth?
No chain on these engines, just gears. Absolutely NO way it could jump a tooth by itself. The only way that can happen is if you remove the bolts holding down the cover at the top of the engine the IP is bolted too (this is the cast cover the oil filler is part of).

However, it is possible that the bolts holding the IP to the cover somehow loosened and the pump rotated a bit changing its timing. Thats highly unlikely to have just randomly happened, and would most likely cause other issues as I don't think it could just move and stay in that new position.

You mentioned cracking the injector lines to bleed the air. Did you crack them one at a time AFTER the engine had been running for a while and all the air should have been bled from the lines?
To elaborate on what was said, you want the engine running /normally/ when you want to evaluate how the engine runs and the difference in sounds. So make sure its been run for a few minutes to clear any air that might have been in the lines from when you had put in the clear line or whatever else. If you loosen one line at a time, it effectively shuts down just that one injector. Each line should make the same difference when loosened, that the engine looses a bit of power. If its NOT the same for each line, note the one thats different than the rest. Either it will make no difference at all when loosened, or a bigger difference than the others. That would pinpoint that one injector, or cylinder having an issue.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3IDIDiesel
we just put a clear hose on no air bubbles after a sec of running got on the phone with the injection company they told us to push that rocker arm in on the side of the pump ran way quieter and smoother and they told us its retards the timing so some how the pump advanced itself i dont think it skipped a tooth and if it woulda i think it would have caused a striped gear? anyone have this problem or know of this?

Edit: the truck didnt sputter at full throttle so its getting fuel i would guess
this tells me something inside the injector pump broke, and it is going to have to be sent back for repair.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:45 PM
7.3IDIDiesel
Freshman User
he ended up calling moose pumps and decided the ip advance plunger died so hes ordering a moose pump. Southern Oregon fuel injection keep giving us the run around for help so he called moose and was very helpful. i just bought a Oregon pump wish i hadnt wish i would went for moose but i hope mine last more than 2 yrs thx everyone

Old 03-26-2015, 01:16 PM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From everything I hear, Moose pumps are the last word in awesomeness.

It's the right choice.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:23 PM
7.3IDIDiesel
Freshman User
yes and their very nice and detailed bout there product

when i ordered my ip and injectors and return line from southern oregon i told them i had a turbo a thousand times and 1. forgot to turn my ip 1 flat at their shop so i did 2. sent me the wrong return line (the return cap with only 1 plug) and charged me more for them to send it out

Moose was very nice my brother said and got a pump built and sent asap cause its hes daily

Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Wait just a dern second here, in order to have a sudden loss of power does not one have to have power in the first place???

Quick Reply: 89 idi sudden lose of power