2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Production start up!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Fullsized-Fan
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But if the 2016 Model is not any different from the 2015 Model - why is this subforum even named after it?

If all the vital changes like aluminium panels and the boxed frame are for the 2017 generation, wouldn't this be the one worth the extra forum?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Fullsized-Fan
But if the 2016 Model is not any different from the 2015 Model - why is this subforum even named after it?

If all the vital changes like aluminium panels and the boxed frame are for the 2017 generation, wouldn't this be the one worth the extra forum?
Moderators just need to change it to "2017 Super Duty"

Old 03-26-2015, 06:59 PM
phredE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the input on the 2016 information. I went ahead and ordered a 2015 DRW KR Crew today. I am going to let the dust settle on the 2016/2017 new design for now. If the 2017 is a better truck as far as durability and looks, I will probably get one. I have been waiting for those major ugly tractor fenders on DRWs to be redesigned into something a little more aerodynamic. I have not seen anything to the affect that this would be happening on the 2016 or 2017.

I also need to learn more about this aluminum body. I wonder what hurdles the body shops are dealing with repairing these light weight trucks!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Last year, I suggested to the Moderators that this subforum was misnamed on the day it was created, and should be called 2017 Super Duty.

My only far fetched guess is that the site admins figured that keeping the 2016 name would yield higher traffic counts, and that they would change the name when they could no longer keep the traffic up with 2016.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:43 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Last year, I suggested to the Moderators that this subforum was misnamed on the day it was created, and should be called 2017 Super Duty.
The name of the forum has now been changed to 2017 Super Duty.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:24 PM
HOWITTRO
New User
2017 F450 Production Start Dates

Any word on the start date for the 2017 F450's

Old 05-05-2015, 07:01 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No word yet that I've heard. It's going to be a significant roll over. There will probably be a decent amount of time between '16 and '17 production.
I have to say it's funny to hear folks talk about aluminum not being up for the task on "big boys"... most class 6+ use plastic or fiberglass extensively on their fronts. F550 is a light duty truck when you're actually have conversations with real "big boys". Not to mention, the Al being used on the F150 is tougher than the outgoing steel because they are making it thicker.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Tommy O'Dually
Senior User
People can say what they want but steel is king. We don't look at old vehicles and say, "look at that aluminum standing the test of time". When aluminum is new it's great. It's lightweight and pretty strong and not too expensive, although once it ages steel becomes the more highly sought after metal. Why? Because it's still steel and you usually can sand off some rust and still have a strong, sturdy material. That's not necessarily the case with aluminum. If the aluminum is saving them by allowing smaller engines and less weight being shipped in and out and all these other great things we are hearing, are they going to lower the prices or at least keep them the same? Of course not. We are being sold on aluminum for our super duty vehicles when they may be ok for a 150 that's not used for real work, I just don't see them lasting with real world work being done to them over time. I hope I'm wrong. But I think it's just another way to trick us into paying more for less.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
The smaller motors have nothing to do with the aluminum. The 2.7 out-performs my 351 for the 150. It has nothing to do with the metal in my truck or the new one. They've been using aluminum bodies aftermarket (dumps and flat beds and stuff like that for real trucks) for a number of years as a way to increase usable payload. Frankly, the OEMs don't care what a truck is worth in 20+ years. If you wait to buy 20 year old vehicles you really don't have a vote. Nothing personal of course. Fleets buy new vehicles and use them for a few years. Most customers don't even keep vehicles all that long. Heck, the avg vehicle is at an all time high of 11 years old.

Aluminum gets you lower fuel cost and lower registration cost (you can get lower GVWR for same job). You also don't have to worry so much about corrosion for the intended life of the vehicle. Higher scrap value if you are an end of life user. Lower center of gravity. Old vehicles are steel because it was cheaper, and the associated cost of weight were much lower. If you want to talk about test of time, the cap on the Washington monument is made out of aluminum. What would it look like today if it had been steel?

Old 05-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Tommy O'Dually
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
The smaller motors have nothing to do with the aluminum. The 2.7 out-performs my 351 for the 150. It has nothing to do with the metal in my truck or the new one. They've been using aluminum bodies aftermarket (dumps and flat beds and stuff like that for real trucks) for a number of years as a way to increase usable payload. Frankly, the OEMs don't care what a truck is worth in 20+ years. If you wait to buy 20 year old vehicles you really don't have a vote. Nothing personal of course. Fleets buy new vehicles and use them for a few years. Most customers don't even keep vehicles all that long. Heck, the avg vehicle is at an all time high of 11 years old.

Aluminum gets you lower fuel cost and lower registration cost (you can get lower GVWR for same job). You also don't have to worry so much about corrosion for the intended life of the vehicle. Higher scrap value if you are an end of life user. Lower center of gravity. Old vehicles are steel because it was cheaper, and the associated cost of weight were much lower. If you want to talk about test of time, the cap on the Washington monument is made out of aluminum. What would it look like today if it had been steel?

Hi Frantz, I'm sure you are well informed, your don't get it though. I am an old American that just likes everything the way it was, lol. I'm only half kidding. I still will take steel over aluminum in our tanks and bunkers. Yes? Did I get one right? Thanks for the insight but there are some things that I like to have made of steel and my super duty is one of them. Would a "57 Chevy or the big old Imperials and Cadillacs be the same had they been made of aluminum? Sometimes certain things are better...........just because. Thanks again.
Oh yeah, what about "The Man of Steel"? "The Man of Aluminum" just wouldn't sound right. LOL. But seriously thanks for the info.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Oh I'm more traditional than you'd think by my post there. I have several classic cars and trucks myself. No land rovers, so I don't have any old Al stuff. I honestly completely agree with a "just because" mentality. I also sell commercial Fords for a living. I gotta defend the product both because I depend on it, and I also believe in it. I enjoy debate, and don't mean to offend (though never really sorry if I do). But, can you imagine a 61 Imperial with the 413 that was 1000# less? It'd look the same and just be faster.

I do find the F250 through F550 crowd to be cute with their "big truck" mentality. They are still light duties in the truck world. Real big trucks use plastics wherever they can. Trucks are both things of beauty and things of work. You can make both metals look about however you want, so it just comes down to what they can do. Aluminum is going to be a game changer for payload and towing for the SuperDuties. The beds are more than strong enough to handle what you do with them. And the frames are steel, which is the honest backbone of the truck, and best cost solution at the present time.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:34 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tommy O'Dually
People can say what they want but steel is king. We don't look at old vehicles and say, "look at that aluminum standing the test of time". When aluminum is new it's great. It's lightweight and pretty strong and not too expensive, although once it ages steel becomes the more highly sought after metal. Why? Because it's still steel and you usually can sand off some rust and still have a strong, sturdy material. That's not necessarily the case with aluminum. If the aluminum is saving them by allowing smaller engines and less weight being shipped in and out and all these other great things we are hearing, are they going to lower the prices or at least keep them the same? Of course not. We are being sold on aluminum for our super duty vehicles when they may be ok for a 150 that's not used for real work, I just don't see them lasting with real world work being done to them over time. I hope I'm wrong. But I think it's just another way to trick us into paying more for less.
Yes, we know this because class 8 Semi tractors don't last being that they are made of Aluminum. Semi tractors have proven this technology, with the average miles being well over 1-2 million miles before parking them. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? Aluminum is great for long term durability.......

Old 05-13-2015, 01:07 AM
Tommy O'Dually
Senior User
Thanks for the Sarcasm

Originally Posted by LSchicago2
Yes, we know this because class 8 Semi tractors don't last being that they are made of Aluminum. Semi tractors have proven this technology, with the average miles being well over 1-2 million miles before parking them. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? Aluminum is great for long term durability.......

I was just wondering why frames are made of steel? I believe the frames on the new F-150's are also still made of steel. I wonder why. I didn't think it was such a mean post but I do appreciate the sarcasm. Don't know what offended you, I thought this was a fun site to learn and kinda talk out loud. What can you expect? Obama is from the Chicago area also.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tommy O'Dually
I was just wondering why frames are made of steel? I believe the frames on the new F-150's are also still made of steel. I wonder why. I didn't think it was such a mean post but I do appreciate the sarcasm. Don't know what offended you, I thought this was a fun site to learn and kinda talk out loud. What can you expect? Obama is from the Chicago area also.
You didn't offend me, you offended Ford. I am not Ford, and Obama has nothing to do with my reply. Ford decided to keep the frames steel on it's aluminum trucks, same as they have always been. Some class 8 frames are aluminum, which kind of kills your thoughts on that subject too. Ford decided to keep the steel frame, but they didn't have too. Aluminum will not be going away, we will all see MUCH more in coming products from Ford and other manufactures. Aluminum bodied vehicles are nothing new. The F150 is the first aluminum bodied vehicle to be built in such large production numbers. Some people just refuse to accept change (no Obama reference intended). Aluminum is the future of the US auto/truck industry.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Isn't steel more flexible than aluminum? I would think for a highway truck an AL frame could work just fine. Super duties require alot of flexing when doing off-road work and I think an aluminum frame would be too brittle. I could be wrong, I have no engineering background.

What many people fail to remember is the cab does nothing but give you, the driver, a nice environment. When trucks first became commercially available, most were like the current stripped chassis, or had a simple engine cover, maybe a seat. A pick-up bed is just one type of bed, and all it does is contain a payload. It's the frame that's doing all the work. You could have a plastic cab and it wouldn't change what the truck does.

Quick Reply: Production start up!!