Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 PM
oracle
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's with Cyl 4? Killed 2 Or 3 COP

Again p0304 showing.
The Truck already killed 2xCOP.
Dealership changed spark plugs and HEGO sensor.
Does Ford have a protocol/process to follow when the dealership can't figure out the problem?

They ran a fuel pressure, power balance etc. And all came back fine then just the misfire.

What's the next step from customer perspective? I've shelled out almost $1k and still no solution...
Truck is back to dealership with a dead COP.

Any thoughts or opinions??

Thanks

Old 03-18-2015, 07:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Has anyone tested or inspected the COP wiring harness connector? Has anyone tested these dead COP's in another vehicle to verify they've really failed?

There's no known reason for just one COP being killed repeatedly other than a faulty electrical connection. While getting defective COP's is a distant possibility that many so quickly together makes this much more improbable.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:55 AM
oracle
Mountain Pass
Unfortunately I have not asked much at the dealership...
I chose them because they are the experts (or should be).
I only talk to the service advisor (really cute girl, mechanical is not her thing).
I will ask today and she has to ask the mechanic on my behalf.

It is really annoying they can't figure out the problem, wiring or whatever...

Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by oracle
Unfortunately I have not asked much at the dealership...

I only talk to the service advisor (really cute girl, mechanical is not her thing).
I too have repeatedly fallen into that "cute gal who knows nothing...." bit and have to accept the fact its one of two things: they don't care to know more than they already do (coz they realize they're cute and the magic that is all by itself) OR no one has taken time to teach them much of anything.

Either way I leave my flirting to times when vital or important info needs to be learned. I also do NOT EVER talk to intermediaries when speaking to the horse's mouth directly is possible. If its not possible I go elsewhere, the places marginal knowledge isn't shrouded in mystery or hidden from we who own the check books.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:20 PM
oracle
Mountain Pass
The latest is that they have done "multiple tests" and today they asked me to authorize a compression test. According to the service advisor there is a possibility of engine issues..
I'm so mad/sad now...
A month ago a bought a truck that had head gasket leaks, lost $2500 now this one I will loose even more if there are engine problems that require a replace or overhaul of the engine...

Please send all the positive energy you have.. I need a drink..

Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Number 4 is an absolute b---h to change. Usual cause of cop failure is moisture. They need to insure no coolant / water in the plug well. If I where doing this the failed cop would get swapped to another cylinder (easy to get to) and see if the miss fire moves. If it doesn't then it is time to investigate either injector, plug or compression issue. At $100 + an hour that the stealership charges diagnosing get expensive. If I couldn't talk to the actual mechanic then I wouldn't have my truck in that shop.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 AM
oracle
Mountain Pass
update from dealership

just got this from the dealership:
Compression test results:
“PERFORM MANUAL COMPRESSION TEST-CYL #1 145PSI-#2 150PSI-#3 145PSI-#4 150PSI-
#5 145PSI-#6 140PSI-#7 150PSI-#8 145PSI---COMPRESSION IS GOOD AND WITH IN SPEC”

“CONFIRM ROUGH RUNNING-IDS TEST CODE P0304 RETRIEVED-
SEEMS TO ONLY RUN ROUGH FOR ABOUT 3 MINS AND THEN SMOOTHES OUT-SWAP IGN COIL AND REPLACE #4 IGN COIL CONNECTOR-LET SIT OVER NIGHT FOR COLD START-RAN ROUGH FOR 3
MINS-PERFORM INJECTOR FLOW TEST-TEST PASSED. SWAPPED #4 INJECTOR WITH #1 INJECTOR AND LET SIT OVER NIGHT FOR COLD START. STILL MISSES ON #4 CYL. OPEN WIRE HARNESS TO GET TO
SPLICE FOR IGN COILS AND PASS SIDE-CUT OUT SPLICE AND SOLDER IN NEW CONNECTOR-LET SIT OVER NIGHT FOR COLD START. STILL MISSING ON CYL #4 FOR ABOUT 3 MINS. POSSIBLE PCM INTERNAL
PROBLEM ON GROUND SIDE OF IGN COIL DRIVER.”

The dealership is recommending to replace the PCM for $500 but NO guarantees that will solve the issue...

Any word of advice will be appreciated as I cant keep replacing parts hoping one will cure the problem!

thanks

Old 03-25-2015, 12:39 AM
oracle
Mountain Pass
thoughts please!

just got this from the dealership:
Compression test results:
“PERFORM MANUAL COMPRESSION TEST-CYL #1 145PSI-#2 150PSI-#3 145PSI-#4 150PSI-
#5 145PSI-#6 140PSI-#7 150PSI-#8 145PSI---COMPRESSION IS GOOD AND WITH IN SPEC”

“CONFIRM ROUGH RUNNING-IDS TEST CODE P0304 RETRIEVED-
SEEMS TO ONLY RUN ROUGH FOR ABOUT 3 MINS AND THEN SMOOTHES OUT-SWAP IGN COIL AND REPLACE #4 IGN COIL CONNECTOR-LET SIT OVER NIGHT FOR COLD START-RAN ROUGH FOR 3
MINS-PERFORM INJECTOR FLOW TEST-TEST PASSED. SWAPPED #4 INJECTOR WITH #1 INJECTOR AND LET SIT OVER NIGHT FOR COLD START. STILL MISSES ON #4 CYL. OPEN WIRE HARNESS TO GET TO
SPLICE FOR IGN COILS AND PASS SIDE-CUT OUT SPLICE AND SOLDER IN NEW CONNECTOR-LET SIT OVER NIGHT FOR COLD START. STILL MISSING ON CYL #4 FOR ABOUT 3 MINS. POSSIBLE PCM INTERNAL
PROBLEM ON GROUND SIDE OF IGN COIL DRIVER.”

The dealership is recommending to replace the PCM for $500 but NO guarantees that will solve the issue...

Any word of advice will be appreciated as I cant keep replacing parts hoping one will cure the problem!

thanks

Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Don't take this as gospel but the more sophisticated diagnostic scanners with included oscilloscope or a similar feature would most likely isolate this to the PCM or other component.

For me, spending ANY amount of money in "hopes" but no guarantee it solves an issue is just insane. Cute gal or not there has to be a better shop someone near you.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:32 AM
oracle
Mountain Pass
I agree that someone with the right equipment can pinpoint better.
I watched this video and would like to search in the city for a place like this: http://youtu.be/y4r5OcHN5Lg

The catch is how is that kind of garage/diagnostic called?

If I search for ford garage I get a bunch of regular garage.
What is it called?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM
oracle
Mountain Pass
I got the truck back.. finger crossed its all good now..

I got them to exhaust all options before replacing the computer and they listened.... they had checked the TSBs and SSMs but had not contacted the technician hotline and they did... and they got back the recommendation to remove the valve cover and inspect...

They found the culprit: Intake valve follower broken and camshaft lobe worn.

They replaced the follower and camshaft and the truck is purring...

Unfortunately was an expensive experience but Ford dealership offered a discount in labour and parts and did not charge for hours and hours of diagnostics.

I'm pretty happy.. and just took the truck to a car wash for a well deserved shower.. :-)