1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT - Brag on myself a little

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:28 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Wow, Joe that is an impressive resume. And a steeple chaser! That is one tough race.... cudos to you!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe congratulations I lived in Lincoln for first two years of high school then Elmhurst Il. You may have heard of the cc coach at York High. Joe Newton. He coached a bunch of Olympic cc guys on the side and had the most state champs of any cc coach in IL. That's a tough sport congrats again.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Congratulations, that's quite an honor.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DUDE! That is impressive! A superstar in our FTE ranks! Congrats, man! Super cool!!
t

Old 03-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Harrier
Well since you guys have asked, below are my accomplishments. The only reason I have this info together is because my jersey was retired at my high school a few years ago and recently they wanted this info to put in the display case. The secretary harassed me until I put this info together. • High School o 3rd fastest Cross Country 5k time in Missouri history (15:01) o School Records held since 1986  1600M 4:12  3200M 9:06.2  5000M 15:01 o Only Missouri athlete to qualify for Foot Locker national cross country championships twice (1984, 1985) o 3 time District Cross Country champion (1983,1984,1985) o 2 time Sectional Cross Country champion (1984,1985)  All-Sectional team (1983) o 2 time All-State Cross Country (1984, 1985) o 2 time State Champion Track 3200M Run (1985, 1986)  8th place State Track 3200M Run (1984) o 3 time Track District champion 3200M (1984, 1985, 1986) o 2 time Track District champion 1600M (1985, 1986) o 2 time Track Sectional champion 3200M (1985, 1986) o Track Sectional champion 1600M (1986) • College – University of Nebraska o 2 time Division 1 All-American Cross Country (1988, 1989) o Division 1 All-American Track & Field in the 3000M Steeplechase (1989) o 2 time Big-8 Champion 3000M Steeplechase (1989,1990) o 3 time All Big-8 Cross Country (1988, 1989, 1990) o Nebraska Outdoor 5000M record holder 13:51.35 (1990) o Nebraska Outdoor Steeplechase 2nd all time 8:34.45 o 3 time qualifier for the US Track & Field Championships (1989, 1990, 1993) o All-American US National Cross Country Championships 18th (1990) o 13th fastest 300M Steeplechase time in the USA in 1990 My senior year in track I was the top ranked Collegiate Steeplechaser. In the finals of the national championships, I fell and hit a barrier 2 1/2 laps into the race and couldn't finish. That sucked....My senior cross country season, I was a top 5 or 10 pick. But I had a terrible race. At least I made up from that race by getting 18th at the US Championships 5 days later. Good memories. I have always had so much fun competing and seeing how far I could push myself. (Hence, being crazy enough to tackle a frame off restoration with ZERO experience. ) I appreciate all the good words guys. I still can't believe it.
My Goodness!!! I don't think I will be able to get anywhere near those times next year (my senior year) or any year for that
Matter. Those are some rediculously fast times you had. Thank you for sharing.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
My Goodness!!! I don't think I will be able to get anywhere near those times next year (my senior year) or any year for that
Matter. Those are some rediculously fast times you had. Thank you for sharing.
The one thing I love about Track and Cross Country, it's about competing against yourself. My main in competing is that if you ran faster than you ever have before, you have to be happy about your race. Yeah, you want to win, but improving yourself is the most important thing in any sport. By the way, if you ever have any questions about your running, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Thank you so much for the offer and reminding me about what running is all about. Believe it or not, I have improved my 5k time by a full minute each year since 7th grade.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Very cool. My son is a senior this year and he's a thrower. My daughter was a thrower too. I guess we [ my family ] aren't running inclined, although I think I have the fastest time from the car to the bathroom at the gas station though. I hope your daughter does well also.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome accomplishments, thanks for sharing with us.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:17 AM
idahoal
Freshman User
Very impressive joe!.congratulations
Both of my sons competed in track in college.my oldest a sprinter,was awarded a scholarship at montana state university.my youngest,awarded a scholarship at idaho state university as a decathelete.it was very rewarding to watch ALL of the kids compete.track and field holds a special place in my heart.i greatly appreciate your accomplishments

Old 03-19-2015, 05:50 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
Thank you so much for the offer and reminding me about what running is all about. Believe it or not, I have improved my 5k time by a full minute each year since 7th grade.
Guys, this is why I love running so much. A minute each year for that many years is amazing! Let's look at what this tells me about this young man. He's willing to work hard, he is coachable (this is so important in anything you do in life), he always strives to make himself better, and he doesn't give up. You throw on top of all that a love for old trucks.....Sir, if you keep this up you will have a very bright future in whatever you decided to do.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by toby tough
Very cool. My son is a senior this year and he's a thrower. My daughter was a thrower too. I guess we [ my family ] aren't running inclined, although I think I have the fastest time from the car to the bathroom at the gas station though. I hope your daughter does well also.
I have a special place in my heart for throwers. The distance guys and the throwers got along so great. I think they got a kick out of us scrawny guys. They all loved my girlfriend (now wife). At parties, they would carry her around all over the place (she is 4'9" and was about 100 lbs). Her favorite, Kevin Coleman, would bounce his pecks at her while I wasn't looking, she thought that was so funny.

Originally Posted by idahoal
Very impressive joe!.congratulations
Both of my sons competed in track in college.my oldest a sprinter,was awarded a scholarship at montana state university.my youngest,awarded a scholarship at idaho state university as a decathelete.it was very rewarding to watch ALL of the kids compete.track and field holds a special place in my heart.i greatly appreciate your accomplishments
Track and Cross Country are just you and your event. Yeah, there are others competing, but they don't have the impact on you like other sports. You can compete hard with your rivals and cool down together after the event. There is such a camaraderie with athletes.

Abe, here is the info on the Soccer inductee for you:
Christine Latham, Soccer, 1999-2002 (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
Christine Latham was a three-time All-American who rewrote the Nebraska soccer record book. One of only two three-time All-Americans in program history, Latham earned All-America accolades in each of her final three seasons. She was the Big 12 Player of the Year in 2000 when Nebraska swept the conference regular-season and tournament titles, then repeated as the league’s player of the year in 2001. Latham helped the Huskers to two Big 12 regular-season championships, two conference tournament titles, four NCAA Sweet 16 appearances and one trip to the Elite Eight, matching the best finish in program history. During her decorated career, Latham became Nebraska’s all-time leader with 69 goals, 23 game-winning goals, 17 multi-goal games and 167 points. Latham also set Husker records for shots and shots on goal. Internationally, Latham was an active member of the Canadian National Team. At the 2003 Women’s World Cup, she scored three of Canada’s 10 goals, as the Canadians finished fourth, the country’s best finish. In the professional ranks, Latham was named the 2003 Rookie of the Year in the Women’s United Soccer Association, and she also played in the Women’s Professional Soccer league. Latham earned a Bachelor of Arts with a major in sociology from the University of Nebraska in 2005.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Christine Latham, unrecognized the name but couldn't place her.... probably cause she is Canadian. Scored 3 goals at the women's World Cup..... not bad.

I hope your thrower buddies did not throw or put your wife as the party got later!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Harrier
Guys, this is why I love running so much. A minute each year for that many years is amazing! Let's look at what this tells me about this young man. He's willing to work hard, he is coachable (this is so important in anything you do in life), he always strives to make himself better, and he doesn't give up. You throw on top of all that a love for old trucks.....Sir, if you keep this up you will have a very bright future in whatever you decided to do.
Thank you so much.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:17 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well, Nebraska did an article on me and posted it yesterday:
Stretch Goals Land Kirby in NU Athletic Hall of Fame - Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

The second to last paragraph talking about disappointing failures hit me hard. Just an hour before I got to proofread the article we got the results of Sam’s MRI (my 16 year old). He tore the MC Ligament and Common Flexor Tendon in his left arm on Friday. He is out for at least football and possibly baseball as well. We are meeting today with a surgeon here in town and Wednesday with one in St. Louis. His dream is to play baseball for Nebraska. This injury now has his sports future in question. I guess we will see how well we as a family handle my own advice.

Quick Reply: OT - Brag on myself a little