6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Grinding noise and tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:28 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Grinding noise and tire wear

Ok haven't been on here in a LONG time. Sold my '12 and bought a DRW '14 F350 to tow our fifth wheel.
Just got back from a 775 mile round trip pulling our fifth wheel.
My dad noticed my passenger front tire was going bald on the outside. I said yeah it was pulling to the right and thought my tire was low but when I checked it was the right psi.

Turning to the left I was starting to get a grinding type noise. If I rolled my passenger window down you could here something just grinding away but when you straightened out nothing.
So I took it into the dealer and they tell me the outside tire wear is normal. I said it has 22,000 miles and the passenger tire will be bald on the outside in 4,000 more miles or less.
Said they can't hear any noise, yet my wife can hear it, kids can hear it and people outside the truck can.

Please tell me for the life of things that it's not normal for the passenger or drivers tire for that matter to go bald in less than 25,000 miles?
Tires have always been kept to proper psi, I've towed only about 5,000 miles total with it.
They are also taking the worthless rancho rebranded shocks off and going with bilstiens. I should have replaced them 10,000 miles ago. They are horrible shocks.

It really torques me that they have it for a week and can't find anything wrong. What's your opinions guys?
When turning to the left it's almost like bump steer in 4wd just not quite as bad but with also a grinding sound that you can hear inside the cab and can feel it in the floor board.
Nothing evident but just looking under the truck.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Rich53
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Doesn't sound normal, and the tire wear definitely doesn't sound normal, it shouldn't wear just on the outside. Is it 4x4, could one hub be locked?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:12 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
It is 4X4 and checked and it doesn't feel like it's in 4 wheel.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:47 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Right tire wear and pulling to the right sounds like the right front is dragging, or, doesn't spin freely. Jack it up and see if it spins easy?

Seized/sticky caliper could be it, faulty hub assembly/bad wheel bearing.

Gotta jack it up to check the ball joints too. There's also a u joint in there that could be sticky. I'm in the process of installing a new u joint on my Deere tractor so it's fresh in my mind. Mine still works but it's stiff/jerky. Any vibrations at all while turning and driving?

Truck was pre owned? Any repair work ever done to the front end? Original tires?

Seems like you need something to really break so that it can be easier to figure out. Might go to a better dealer too. There should be a better mechanic/tech/service writer in north Georgia somewhere. If you're close to atl they're prob all too stressed out and busy to care....

Old 03-17-2015, 05:53 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,053 Likes on 2,212 Posts
Welcome back

Old 03-17-2015, 06:02 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Truck is new I had it ordered.

Yeah I'm thinking new dealer. It needs a new fresh pair of eyes after a week I think.

How's it going Savage, long time no talk.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
X3 - Not Normal. Did they at least check the alignment? Jack the truck up and spin the tires to see if they move freely? See if there is any side to side play? Really all the things that ruschejj said...

Could also be the shocks being bad too.

Let us know what the new dealer says.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
mine was making weird noises when turning this spring, I hit those two joints with grease and got some sandy, salty crud out that was built up over the long winter, seems better now.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:46 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Dealer is checking alignment tomorrow.

I'll have them check the wheels. Plus I'm taking them for a ride to show them the noise that can't seem to hear.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
It makes the noise every time you turn?

Please post your results, I'm curious what you find out.

Mine was making noise only on a left turn as well.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
It makes the noise every time you turn?

Please post your results, I'm curious what you find out.

Mine was making noise only on a left turn as well.

Yeah left turn only. It's gotten bad enough I can feel it in the pedal and in the floor board. Told the dealer about it two months ago but they said they couldn't find anything. I knew it was there because I drive it every day and I know the tiny in's and outs of it so for me it was easy to feel and sense but for the dealer not so much.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Tell the tech to take off his headphones and quit listening to Pandora... (kidding)

Wouldn't be the first time I had an issue that I thought would be easy to duplicate that I end up having to show the tech. The issues I have had with my '15 that ended up being normal at least the tech went with me in the truck so we could make sure! I give that dealer 5 stars and 10's on their eval paperwork Ford sends out.

Nice thing is that their diesel techs all drive and own diesel trucks too. One happens to own a Dodge, but I won't hold that against him. Rather have a diesel head working on my rig than a guy that is there for a paycheck and drives a Honda Civic...

Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
On my 2011, I had a front caliper seize up and ruin a rotor. I also had the bearings go bad at 100,000 miles and that caused a little grinding especially on slow turns.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Thanks guys, I"ll be visiting the dealer tomorrow and can't wait.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems if it was a caliper, you would be able to tell from heat, smell. I had one stick before and actually warped the rotor, there was no doubt what the problem was. Not saying that's not it.
My last company truck started having issues on the left side, wasn't pulling real bad, but it sounded like I was running TSL Super Swampers on it! It ended up being a wheel bearing and ball joints. Now, it was a F150, with only 35,000 miles on it IIRC, not apples to apples, but that also seemed like low miles to have those issues. Do you feel a vibration in the steering wheel also?
Good luck, keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise and tire wear