1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:43 PM
BigBlackF-250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 help please!

2001 Ford F-250 7.3 Lariat, Crew cab, 8 ft bed. Have had the truck since about 2007 and 4x4 has never worked. It has the typical ford "self rotting" vacuum lines (which have all been replaced along with the hubs themselves). Took it to a mechanic a few years back and he n-word rigged it (for a lack of a better word) and bypassed a lot of vacuum stuff and it still didn't work. The weird part is this-- the 4x4 light is permanently on on the dash, even if the switch is in the 2wd position. Flip the switch and nothing happens. No sounds, nothing. No mechanic can fix it and I have yet to find a forum with someone having the same problem. (Worth manual transfer case swapping it? West Virginia winters are a b*tch.)

Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
there are a lot of fragile parts in this system...to include the motors and grears withing the transfer case.

I'd much prefer a manual on the floor shift transfer shift.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No mechanic can fix it? You need to find better mechanics.

I assume the bypassed-a-lot-of-vacuum-stuff is referring to the locking hubs. Not a big deal there, with the vacuum blocked off the hubs will work as manual. Lock them in when you want them locked by turning the **** on the hub clockwise. If you want that part of the system fixed, we can come back to them later.

Under the truck on the side of the transfer case there is a small motor that switches the t-case into its different modes. Key on engine off, WITH THE WHEELS CHOCKED, lay under the truck and have someone put their foot on the brake and move the selector switch. See if you hear anything and report back. The ESOF isn't terribly complicated. We can help you get 'er figgerd out.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:21 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
I replaced my 4x4 motor on my transfer case (NAPA TCM 48205) when mine was acting up, and all is well. Also got rid of the ESOF hubs and went with Warns. Warn thread here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...onversion.html

Old 03-16-2015, 01:10 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
I agree, the ESOF system is not complex. True, the vacuum lines did often fail, but the standard "locking" hubs allowed you to manually lock the hubs if they failed. Other than that, you have the transfer case. Basically it uses an electric motor the size of a power window motor and a couple of gears to manually move the selector fork between low and high range, and 2WD. The motor can be easily replaced if it doesn't work. That only leaves the selector **** itself. This can be tested to see if the switch is doing what it needs to do or not with a volt / ohmmeter. You can also directly apply 12V to the transfer case motor and see if it works (take it out first so you don't end up between 2WD / 4WD / Low).

As for the light, its a switch on the selector rod either on or inside the case. These can fail, and the light will permanently stay on, or off. Replacing the indicator switch solves the problem. But if its inside the t-case, probably not worth replacing unless you really know what you're doing. 4x4 will obviously still work regardless of the light.

The manual shift cases are pretty foolproof. The worst thing that can happen is the lever freezing up and breaking the rubber mounts on the case...just keep it greased and engage 4x4 a few times even in the summer.

I went from my 2012 with a manual t-case / manual hubs to my 2015 which is the electric system, a couple of quick observations:

Manual system benefits: engages and disengages quicker than electric system, nothing to really break or fail. Disadvantages: The fully manual hubs. You have to leave them locked in just about all the time in the winter unless you don't mind getting out every time you need 4x4. At full steering lock the front axle joints are hitching even when you are in 2WD. When engaged, they cause you to use a little more fuel.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 PM
BigBlackF-250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thomabb
No mechanic can fix it? You need to find better mechanics.

I assume the bypassed-a-lot-of-vacuum-stuff is referring to the locking hubs. Not a big deal there, with the vacuum blocked off the hubs will work as manual. Lock them in when you want them locked by turning the **** on the hub clockwise. If you want that part of the system fixed, we can come back to them later.

Under the truck on the side of the transfer case there is a small motor that switches the t-case into its different modes. Key on engine off, WITH THE WHEELS CHOCKED, lay under the truck and have someone put their foot on the brake and move the selector switch. See if you hear anything and report back. The ESOF isn't terribly complicated. We can help you get 'er figgerd out.
There is no sounds at all. The transfer case works because after the mechanic did the vacuum lines, in a complete spell of luck, we actually got the 4x4 to work one time. So it's something in the system before the vacuum lines. Now with the dash having the 4x4 light permanently on, could it be the switch itself that's bad?

Old 03-16-2015, 02:00 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
I don't think the switch in the dash turns on the 4x4 light. Usually the 4x4 indicator comes on when the selector shaft is moved into the 4x4 position. A switch on the selector shaft moves with the shaft, sending a signal to the instrument panel to illuminate the 4x4 lamp.

Pull the connector plug off your transfer case motor, and connect a voltmeter to it. See if voltage is applied when an assistant turns the 4x4 switch from 2WD to 4HI / 4LO, etc.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:09 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Trover is exactly right - the switch activates the motor which turns on the light.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:57 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
Pull the connector plug off your transfer case motor, and connect a voltmeter to it. See if voltage is applied when an assistant turns the 4x4 switch from 2WD to 4HI / 4LO, etc.

^^ Do this next. This will tell you if the issue is in the motor on the side of the t-case. No sound at all coming from the motor means it isn't even trying to work.

Let's do this one step at a time and we will methodically zero in on your problem. Report back what you find.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:01 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
What town are you near? There may be a member of the brotherhood nearby.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:25 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Good point - have you located your local FTE chapter? Start here. Regional Chapters - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums