6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Using Hot Shot oil / Fuel additives w Diesel Kleen

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:45 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using Hot Shot oil / Fuel additives w Diesel Kleen

I am going on an 1800 mile trip next week. In an effort to raise MPG, I am installing a 200 degree t Stat and plan on running Hot shot in a fresh oil change and to a full tank before takeoff. I plan on doing a few other things as well, but they are not additive related.

I have owned my EX for 12k mile. It's an 05 6.0. I ran my first bottle of diesel kleen on a tank before the current tank I'm on. I feel I am getting a little better mpg but won't know until I hand calculate it.

So, is it okay to run the Hot Shot in conjunction w the diesel kleen or should I run only the hotshot on the next tank, then go with regular doses of the diesel kleen?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Good idea to only do one thing at a time, and run like that for a while to see what the effects are. But that's just me.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
You should run the Hot Shot Secret Stiction Eliminator in the oil and Hot Shot Diesel Exteeme in fuel.

Something else you should consider in an effort to raise MPG is the EBPS and EBP tube. If you have an '05 engine, it's easy to remove and clean.

I recently wrote up a post on things that hinder mileage on a 6.0, it should help before your trip: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15173616

Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM
BoKnowsDiesel
Former Vendor
We recommend running one at a time. Diesel Extreme is just a bi-annual treatment, so you can go back to the Diesel Kleen when you are not running the Hot Shot's

Old 03-16-2015, 11:23 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
You should run the Hot Shot Secret Stiction Eliminator in the oil and Hot Shot Diesel Exteeme in fuel.

Something else you should consider in an effort to raise MPG is the EBPS and EBP tube. If you have an '05 engine, it's easy to remove and clean.

I recently wrote up a post on things that hinder mileage on a 6.0, it should help before your trip: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15173616

I read and saved you post from that thread. It was very informative, concise, and systematically written, thank you.
I will try this week to do most of those recommendations. But the oil / Fuel additive should be a good one as we will be highway only.

I should note, I have no drivability / runability / starting / injector / Stiction that I know of / noise issues at all.

I am willing to spend the money as a preventative expense if nothing else

THANK YOU guys for the replys

Old 03-18-2015, 06:34 AM
BillC1009
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been running diesel kleen in my 05 for a couple of years now, just to get the cetane boost. I haven't noticed any big improvements in mileage. I also just put in my first 2 quarts of Hot Shots Secret yesterday with a fresh oil change. I'm running Mystik 15W40 in my truck with the HSS, so we'll see how it does. Really interested to see if my stiction issues get resolved, but if I get a boost in mileage that will be an added bonus.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:36 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BillC1009
I've been running diesel kleen in my 05 for a couple of years now, just to get the cetane boost. I haven't noticed any big improvements in mileage. I also just put in my first 2 quarts of Hot Shots Secret yesterday with a fresh oil change. I'm running Mystik 15W40 in my truck with the HSS, so we'll see how it does. Really interested to see if my stiction issues get resolved, but if I get a boost in mileage that will be an added bonus.

COOL, I'm excited to see your results. Are you going to run the HSS fuel treatment as well?

Yesterday I filled up after a 509 mile tank and got 12.78, hand calculated, mostly in town driving with short distance freeway driving.
On Saturday I will top the fuel off then add the additive and hit the road.

We'll see!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:15 AM
BillC1009
Junior User
Originally Posted by A Rodder
COOL, I'm excited to see your results. Are you going to run the HSS fuel treatment as well?

Yesterday I filled up after a 509 mile tank and got 12.78, hand calculated, mostly in town driving with short distance freeway driving.
On Saturday I will top the fuel off then add the additive and hit the road.

We'll see!
I'm probably going to stick with the Diesel Kleen for now in the fuel since I can get it at the local Wally World in the big jug for about 20 bucks. Just curious, though, are you running oversized tires on your rig? I'm running 285 70R 17s on mine and I average about 15 MPG in mixed driving, so just wondering why your mileage is so much lower than mine.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
I'm probably going to stick with the Diesel Kleen for now in the fuel since I can get it at the local Wally World in the big jug for about 20 bucks. Just curious, though, are you running oversized tires on your rig? I'm running 285 70R 17s on mine and I average about 15 MPG in mixed driving, so just wondering why your mileage is so much lower than mine.

I'm running stock Michelin 265 75 16's
I intend to go at minimum to 285's though since I did the modded B / x codes. I'd like to get my mileage improved and stabilized before making the change though.

I have posted on and done most all of the thing Toreador_Diesel posted on the "bad mileage" thread.

I have a faulty EBP Sensor that I will replace today. The truck has no codes stored in my CTS and generally I run it in performance mode. I have not seen any drop off in fuel in that mode though.

I will report after I get the sensor in. I pulled it and the tube and cleared them out as well as the fitting, also the map fitting on Monday. Curious to see the readings thanks when I was getting 0 psi on the EBP reading.

The truck runs perfect in all aspects.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:09 PM
BillC1009
Junior User
I'm running stock Michelin 265 75 16's
I intend to go at minimum to 285's though since I did the modded B / x codes. I'd like to get my mileage improved and stabilized before making the change though.

I have posted on and done most all of the thing Toreador_Diesel posted on the "bad mileage" thread.

I have a faulty EBP Sensor that I will replace today. The truck has no codes stored in my CTS and generally I run it in performance mode. I have not seen any drop off in fuel in that mode though.

I will report after I get the sensor in. I pulled it and the tube and cleared them out as well as the fitting, also the map fitting on Monday. Curious to see the readings thanks when I was getting 0 psi on the EBP reading.

The truck runs perfect in all aspects.
Good luck with all that. I'm actually thinking about going back to stock sized tires to get some mileage back. Not to mention the oversized tires come with an oversized price tag! Hope your mileage comes up on this trip and you're able to report some good news!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:56 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
My sensor was putting out a value that was read on a snap on scanner so that is good.

Regarding the Hot Shot fuel treatment it says to use once ever 6 months. I have a 44 gallon tank should I run a little more than than 18-20 oz. So the ratio us still correct? Or is that "too much overall"

The excursion tank is much larger, that is my concern.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
285 70R 17s on mine too, and getting 15mpg, good to see I'm not alone

Old 03-22-2015, 09:36 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
732 miles in, hand calculated 17.69 mpg at 70mph

Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 PM
BillC1009
Junior User
732 miles in, hand calculated 17.69 mpg at 70mph
Nice! Are you hauling anything?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:38 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Nice! Are you hauling anything?
The wife, our six kids, the mother in law and another kid.....plus all our crap in that box on top and a cargo basket that is obscured.

Probably 10k or so.

Quick Reply: Using Hot Shot oil / Fuel additives w Diesel Kleen