1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

I was thinking......injector o-ring time, But.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking......injector o-ring time, But.....

Hi all,
Well I was waiting for the weather to break, so I could make an attempt at doing injector o rings. Has all the classic symptoms, Hard cold start (impossible without engine block heater on real cold nights) whiteish smoke on start up and poor power. Anyway with that, I did an oil and filter change and fully expected a filthy black fuel filter. Well, it looked almost new with about 8,0000 mi. on it.(I change it every other oil change). If the o-rings are shot, shouldn't the fuel filter be a mess ? should I look at other than o-rings? Thanks

Old 03-15-2015, 04:40 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
With the cold start problems, I would look more to the glow plugs/relay. I believe the injector o rings would cause more of a hard start when warm. I know if you free rev the motor it will be smooth until the tack reaches around 2000 rpm, then will stumble and white/blue smoke untill around 2400 rpms then kind of smooth out.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmert
With the cold start problems, I would look more to the glow plugs/relay. I believe the injector o rings would cause more of a hard start when warm. I know if you free rev the motor it will be smooth until the tack reaches around 2000 rpm, then will stumble and white/blue smoke untill arpond 2400 rpms then kind of smooth out.
hummm...Ok, no hot start issues at all, easy start no smoke. Still has no power most of the time. Funny,sometimes though it will wake up and run...... WTF ? love it but its giving me a headache lately. It will never tow my trailer on the beach this year.......gotta figure this out fast. Thank you Farmert.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:55 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Address you glow plug situation for the cold starts. If you want to double check that just plug it in for a few hours before you need to start it. Is your ebpv (exhaust back pressure valve) still hooked up. If so disconnect it. The is 2 wires that come out of the driver side injector harness inside the valley and go to the turbo pedestal. Report back if that helps.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Address you glow plug situation for the cold starts. If you want to double check that just plug it in for a few hours before you need to start it. Is your ebpv (exhaust back pressure valve) still hooked up. If so disconnect it. The is 2 wires that come out of the driver side injector harness inside the valley and go to the turbo pedestal. Report back if that helps.
Thanks Moose. EBPV has been disconnected for years. Plugging in does help, in fact it was often necessary when it started getting cold. It smokes on the difficult cold starts. The fact that it has no power is killing me. This is my DD, work and play truck. Having it laid up for a major repair has really got me worried. I hope I can find the problem. When the weather warms up I'll have no starting problems so I could get to work. No way will it tow my trailer though . Especially on the beach. Regards, Vinny

Old 03-15-2015, 10:14 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
check the glow plug system. then on the power issue you are going to have to go back to the basics.

Fuel pressure
icp have oil in connector?
map disconnect make a difference in power?

check all running data for symptom issues.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman67
check the glow plug system. then on the power issue you are going to have to go back to the basics.

Fuel pressure
icp have oil in connector?
map disconnect make a difference in power?

check all running data for symptom issues.
Thanks Fordman. Yeah, I've pulled the plug on the map sensor and it runs worse. I did shim my fpr last year. Had about 50- 55 lbs at idol. I was getting sprayed with fuel too so maybe those #'s are wrong. I did not check at higher rpm or under load. I have been suspicious of the fuel pump though..... is that where you're going? I've never checked the icp... will now, thanks.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
nothing wrong with icp... what a bummer

Soon as I got out of work, I popped the hood and pulled the icp plug. I was hoping beyond hope to find it full of oil..... and maybe, find a simple solution to my lack of power issue. Well its clean. I even started it unplugged hoping it would run better. Runs like crap without it. I did notice that it smelled of raw fuel under the hood. It looks wet in the valley too. I'm pretty sure its fuel but not leaking where it leaves a puddle or anything. Would a fuel leak give me any of the issues I stated in this thread ???? Thanks All

Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 AM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When I was leaking fuel I did not notice a loss of power. No load was on the truck though

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by pilgrimbizket
When I was leaking fuel I did not notice a loss of power. No load was on the truck though
Ok Thanks, just fishin' now. I've got to get this thing right or i won't be using the camper this summer

Old 03-18-2015, 01:12 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Try to get some good fuel pressure numbers. Everything wears out. There really only one way to know if the pump is weak.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Try to get some good fuel pressure numbers. Everything wears out. There really only one way to know if the pump is weak.
Thanks Moose, Gonna do that this weekend. I'm all over the place right now. Just want everything to work right. Got so many issues with the truck that I don't know where to start. The camper is another story. We've had such a tough winter here that I'm like a crazy teenager with spring fever. Only real difference is that I'm in love with a truck that won't love me back. Thanks Man.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:07 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Lol. Isn't that every truck. Just sayin.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a bad IDM which left me with almost no power and it would blow white smoke when I stepped down on the throttle.

Check your fuel pressure first, and then find an IDM to plug into your truck to test this theory. Another IDM is the only easy way to test if yours is any good. The only other way to test it is with signal equipment.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Buck Dharma Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by lemonshindig
I had a bad IDM which left me with almost no power and it would blow white smoke when I stepped down on the throttle.

Check your fuel pressure first, and then find an IDM to plug into your truck to test this theory. Another IDM is the only easy way to test if yours is any good. The only other way to test it is with signal equipment.
Ok, Thanks. I get a bit of smoke if I does respond to my right foot. Nothing crazy though. I will take your advice thanks.

Quick Reply: I was thinking......injector o-ring time, But.....