1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

just returned the last exide batt I'll ever buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:26 PM
gusThe56f-350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just returned the last exide batt I'll ever buy

Hey y'all, remember when the word Exide didn't make you groan?

Anyway, may I ask what minimum CCA y'all recommend for the new batt I'm about to buy at CostCo?

Interstate Batteries--hallelujah!

('56 F350 with the Holley 1bbl on a 223 inline 6). We don't go below zero much, but it does get mighty cold'n damp here in the Pacific Northwest.

'Preciate it,
m

Old 03-14-2015, 09:20 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
5-600 CCA should be plenty if the engine starts easy.

Agree on the Exide batteries.....never had good luck with them. Best interstate I've had lasted 11 years.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 PM
gusThe56f-350
Freshman User
Thanx Tinman. Very sweet lady at Costco didn't laugh when I told her my year and make but she did say it sounded like a "big ole truck" and I'd maybe need 800 CCA. Jeez darlin', I don't need to blow the spark plugs outa the head.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Good luck with the Interstate ...
I had no luck with them and my shop quit using them ...
I just had a car towed in the other day . 2 month old battery . Not the first time I have seen that either . I have not sold them for years , most around here don't either .
Best of luck !

Old 03-14-2015, 11:29 PM
Sportster.Mark
Senior User
Get two six-volt Trojans and wire them up in series and you will never ever be stranded because of the battery.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:34 PM
gusThe56f-350
Freshman User
Exide I'm taking back to the store tomorrow had an 84-month warranty and didn't even last 1 year--and it was a replacement for a previous Exide also returned dead after less than half its guaranteed life, so that was it for me. And hearing from everyone I've asked so far that from being the best brand, Exide has fallen to the worst, just figured I'd move on to Interstate.

But JWC, are you saying you've had bad luck with Interstate, too?

Yikes, what's a body to do? Buy an Optima RedTop?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Sportster.Mark
Senior User
I use Trojans to run everything, even a powered pallet jack and the two man lifts at work. Using four in series to get 24 volts is the standard in the trucking industry. They are absolutely reliable.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:57 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know if it is a regional issue or what . I worked for a parts house almost 20 years ago and had pallots of bad new batteries . I use to sell Interstate , no better . I see bad batch runs still today buying from parts stores , but not often . I mostly use Super Start and Carquest batteries now . We install many batteries , autos to heavy trucks and equipment .

Old 03-15-2015, 04:32 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
In North American, the vast majority of lead acid automotive batteries are made by Johnson Controls or Exide. Since battery manufacturing historically is a nasty business and battery freight costs are problematic, multiple producing locations are needed to support nationwide brands. In addition, the only way for a manufacturer to stay price competitive is to vertically integrate and control parts of the lead sourcing. This is best done by at least managing the battery recycling (a higher percentage of car batteries are recycled in the US than aluminum beverage cans about 90%+ versus 80%ish) and or smelting. Ideally, you'll do both.

For the branding, Johnson Controls is Interstate and Optima. It is also either the exclusive or majority producer for Wal-Mart, Costco, Sears, CarQuest, Farm and Fleet, and Delphi in total, it holds about 75% of the market. Exide tends to use their own name in the market and does have some reseller presence - I'm not as familiar with those partners.

The car companies buy from both (Chrysler was stronger with Exide). Johnson has a much stronger global presence including multiple joint venture partners.

The battery manufacturing process is generic - black cased batteries are run down one line, finished, and sent to the distribution center without labels. Based on customer orders, the batteries are decorated (brand labels applied) and shipped to the selling location. The exception are Optima products due to the unique construction.

Unless you look very closely at some labels (and even then it's not a given), the producer isn't identified.

Trojan is an independent producer with their own operations and brand.

On the quality side, a capable factory should have consistent good product out the door. Since the batteries are generally shipped fully charged, there really isn't an excuse for DOA batteries. Early failure is likely a reflection of manufacturing issues that are revealed in use.

The last thing to know is that no manufacturer will ever admit to an explosion of their product. Rather, it may occasionally 'spontaneously disassemble'. So be aware.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:54 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gusThe56f-350

Yikes, what's a body to do? Buy an Optima RedTop?

Sorry to say, I've been hearing bad reports on the Optima line also. Still having good luck with Interstate, but that could change with the new one I just bought, time will tell. I'm assuming you've checked charging system for any issues. I usually buy the most cranking and reserve capacity available for the size battery needed.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:27 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This is a warning about the 9v pro-cell batteries by Duracell. I had one explode in the smoke detector and it destroyed the detector. another from the same pack exploded in a stud finder. I know you were talking of truck batteries but think of how many times we hold our voltage tester.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:29 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I've been buying automotive batteries for many years and found battery life to be a crap shoot. I've had new vehicle batteries replaced under warranty and had replacement batteries last eight years.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:53 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
I've been buying automotive batteries for many years and found battery life to be a crap shoot. I've had new vehicle batteries replaced under warranty and had replacement batteries last eight years.
I agree, For years I purchased walmart batteries and they used to be cheap ($39.99) but now they are near $100.
I have a friend who works at a NAPA and he takes the turn in core batteries that look good, puts them on a slow charge and then tests them. He gave me a "junk" core battery and I have had it for a few years now. Starts my truck just fine.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:25 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
I've had good luck with the Interstates, I just replaced the one in my truck last week and it was 10 years old. Both this one and another I bought last year for my other vehicle and the one I put in the wifes Fusion a few months ago all say Made in Mexico...

Old 03-15-2015, 12:33 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Just bought interstate 800 cca at Costco for 82.95 two days ago. 40.00 less than Sams club, 60.00 less than Oreillys for same size.

Quick Reply: just returned the last exide batt I'll ever buy