1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Up Pipe Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Get yourself a bottle of soapy water to spray on.

Check the intakes where they meet the heads. The RTV is not at least 18 years old

Old 04-05-2015, 12:58 AM
JCart
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd check the exhaust manifold to head interface on the driver's side bank just infront of firewall first. Not uncommon for the e manifold bolt heads to pop off in this location causing boost leak. With a good light look for black carbon along the interface edge, from underside of engine, also check passenger side too while your down there.

jrc

Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 PM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Found a leak on the drivers side intake manifold using pressure and soap. With constant air to the system it would get up to 10 psi. Do I have to take the turbo off to get to the manifold to change the gasket?

Old 04-05-2015, 09:08 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahhh. That sucks. No gasket there, just silicone. Go to ford and ask for the Ford gray diesel silicone and they'll bring it out to you in a little caulk tube. Don't skimp and get the cheap stuff. That tube will cost you less than $20 and it's worth every penny.

As for pulling the turbo, I can't say for sure whether it has to come off or not in order to get the plenum off. That's not a fun job though, my ribs hurt just thinking about it!

Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 ^^^^ on the Gray silicone.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 AM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
I am going to drop the truck off at a mechanic and have them look at it. The place I have been getting my emissions done seems legit. I don't like other people touching my cars, but sometimes it has to be done. Yesterday was my first day off in two weeks. I spent 3 hours on the truck and my wife gave me "the look". lol. I will keep you all posted.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:01 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife gave up on the "look".

Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
My wife gave up on the "look".
Hahaha....I changed wives lol

Old 04-09-2015, 06:35 PM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
I got word from the "mechanic". He used a smoke machine to test for leaks on the exhaust and intakes sides and couldn't find any. He stated the truck had a weak motor and was shifting early causing it to not make boost. It was making 7lbs of boost with really bad up pipe donuts before I took the turbo off and added the bellowed up pipes. The truck fires up at 0 degrees with no problem, there is no blow by. I know the motor is fine. Not sure where to go with this.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You said you had a leak on the intake plenum, did you get that fixed? Just because a mechanic said he checked it doesn't mean much. How does he know you have a weak motor? Or is he just shooting darts? He didn't happen to mention that he had a good used motor he would sell you did he?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:25 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
I am agreeing with Nick....what other tests did the mechanic do to come to the conclusion that your motor is weak?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:56 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this was already suggested.
But did you spray the intake joints with starting fluid with the truck at idle to find any leaks? RPM will rise if there is a leak.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 AM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
I am going to pick up the truck this morning. I hate it when mechanics don't know how to fix something and make something up instead of admitting it. That's why I am hesitant to have anyone work on my stuff. There is definitely a leak on the intake manifold on the valve cover. It doesn't seem to be bad enough where the truck would have no boost. I will spray some either by it to see what happens.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:09 PM
pinbill
Mountain Pass
Hey Guys,

The shop owner could tell I knew he was full of it. He also realized I was in one of my "moods". I asked his mechanic if he watched the pyrometer when he test drove it. He said no the gauges were aftermarket so he didn't know what they were for. I almost blew a gasket. I let him know you could destroy an engine running it with high egts. The owner had the sense to let me go without trying to charge me anything.

I bought the truck to another shop that is close to my house. The shop manager and I went for a ride. We laid into it a little bit. He knew a ton about the 7.3s and was surprised at how well the truck ran. He said the turbo was boosting correctly and the egts were not spiking. It would be impossible for the truck in the stock setting (no chip, programmer ect..) to have high egts. There would also be a ton of black smoke. It is the gauges that are not working right. He let me go for free too. At some point I will bring a car there when I run into a snag.

Turns out the first mechanic wasn't driving around the neighborhood in my truck spiking the EGTs. Now that I am not afraid to lay into the gas pedal I can tell it is running real nice. The up pipes are not leaking and I can hear the turbo spool up nice. I knew it was something dumb. The gauges are from Glowshift. I will replace with Autometer.

Thanks for all your help,

Bill

Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did he actually check the gauges (presumably with regulate air pressure) or watch the boost pressure through the OBD port? Or is he just guessing that the gauges are bad? I guess I'm confused as to why you thought there was a boost issue if you weren't seeing high EGTs and were afraid to lay into the throttle. You won't see more than 10 PSI or so of boost until you get the engine up above about 2200 RPM anyway and on an all stock truck, you'll have to floor it to see 15 PSI.

Quick Reply: Up Pipe Options