1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had this done by the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:26 PM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone had this done by the dealer?

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ml/Q-158R3.pdf

It is instructions for the dealer to reprogram a module to allow LED lights to be used in the blinkers.

They quoted me $115, kind of a lot for what it is, but whatever.

I want to make sure that when I do this, I can just throw a regular LED bulb in the front signals and brakes, and they will work and blink just fine without a resistor. I would much rather do this than have to tap into the factory wiring.

My goal is to replace all exterior bulbs with LEDs. How do you guys think the bulbs will look in the stock lenses? I'm hoping they will be a lot brighter, and I like the instant on and off flashing of LEDs.

Let me know if there is something about doing all of this that might cause any problems.

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Looks like they are charging you an hour or more labor which is a bit ridiculous...15 minutes max....i could see paying 1/2 hour rate...

do you know any local repair shops with the Ford IDS? It appears to not need the latest version to make this change.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Slackdaddy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was quoted $200.00 by local dealers, to flash upgrade for the brake controller

Old 03-16-2015, 06:42 PM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Just to update anyone that might be interested in doing this.

I had it done at the dealer a few minutes ago. The service manager just grabbed a laptop and plugged it into my truck. Took about 10 minutes and he didn't charge me. It's literally just clicking through a couple screens, and waiting for the computer to load the data.

I was standing right there, and I saw an option for tire sizes, so I had him change that as well.

I also saw on there options for police mode, remote start, and several other things.

They really shouldn't charge more than $20-30 to reprogram things like this, but most people like myself might not know how simple it really is.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyCap

I had it done at the dealer a few minutes ago. The service manager just grabbed a laptop and plugged it into my truck. Took about 10 minutes and he didn't charge me. It's literally just clicking through a couple screens, and waiting for the computer to load the data.

I was standing right there, and I saw an option for tire sizes, so I had him change that as well.

I also saw on there options for police mode, remote start, and several other things.

They really shouldn't charge more than $20-30 to reprogram things like this, but most people like myself might not know how simple it really is.
Thanks for the info Joey!!!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:21 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
How do you guys think the bulbs will look in the stock lenses? I'm hoping they will be a lot brighter, and I like the instant on and off flashing of LEDs. Thanks!
I went with LEDs in my '08 directionals, front and rear but did the resistor routine. They looked great... that's what I wanted to add, they were much nicer than the conventional bulbs! Haven't done the '15 yet but have the LEDs - waiting for warmer weather.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:06 AM
hoss66
Senior User
Have you tried led bulbs yet and if so did it work so that you dont have to use the resistors?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:16 PM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Originally Posted by hoss66
Have you tried led bulbs yet and if so did it work so that you dont have to use the resistors?
Not yet, I ordered the Anzo LED tail lights because they look mostly stock, a recon third brake light, and the rest from super bright LEDs. The only lights that won't be LED are the headlights and fogs. I'll have to save up a little more for those.

They should be in by the end of the week so I will update when I get everything installed.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM
richsoucie
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
just saw at walmart the other day they have led bulbs that say can bus compatible i think they might have the resistor built in or something they were like $10 for a pack of 2

Old 03-17-2015, 05:33 PM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Originally Posted by richsoucie
just saw at walmart the other day they have led bulbs that say can bus compatible i think they might have the resistor built in or something they were like $10 for a pack of 2
The guy at super bright LEDs said the can bus bulbs won't fix the flashing issue. I'm not sure why not, but he said they do burn warmer and most are brighter. I got can bus bulbs for my cab lights because they are brighter and the lenses are smoked.

I'm hoping everything else will work without the can bus bulbs.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Why not just buy a LED flasher for your truck they are under $20 from superbrightled.com or eBay or amazon etc

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM
JM96F250
Senior User
Can someone fill me in on this?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:43 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User

Its more than the time. They have to have the laptop and the program. Then if if somethings happens and it frys your computer. Who do you think you are going to want to pay for it?

Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 AM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Originally Posted by JM96F250
Can someone fill me in on this?
I've read it prevents your lights from coming on when you open doors and lock and unlock it.

I've read about it on here, and I saw the option for it on the laptop so I'm assuming it's pretty easy to activate.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:24 AM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Originally Posted by redrivergorge
Its more than the time. They have to have the laptop and the program. Then if if somethings happens and it frys your computer. Who do you think you are going to want to pay for it?
That's true, which is probably why their standard rate to reprogram a module is $115.

Maybe since I brought the instructions to do it and the guy at the desk did it himself he figured he just wouldn't charge me.

Quick Reply: Anyone had this done by the dealer?