Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Pls - 2nd Battery or Larger Alt needed ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:30 PM
jp petracco
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Pls - 2nd Battery or Larger Alt needed ?

Added 6 PIAA 520s on front and 2 KC's flood on the back of my SURCO Safari rack.

Im a novice at this, but wondering if I will need to add second bat or larger alt.

03 Eddie B 6.8/V10 4x4.

Also have 1200 amps running six 5x7 Access Focal speakers, pioneer 4000NEX and 12"sub. Lights will not be on for any serious length of time 10-15mins at a time.

thoughts appreciated

JP

Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Turn radio up and all lights on while the truck is running. If you notice a drop in power, I would say you need a larger amp. If you are going to be running all these a lot when the truck is off, I would say throw another battery in there so you will be able to start it back up.

Disclaimer*** This advice is based only off of my personal experience with vehicle electronics and I do not claim to be any type of expert in the matter.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
They have duel alts brackets for the v10s. I just pulled my system but i had 3k and another 1500 for the doors. But behind the 2nd row u can put batterys. I had 3 c&d 140s laying down almost flat behind the 2nd row

Old 03-15-2015, 10:22 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The two kind of go together...

A 2nd battery will give you more reserve when using the lights or stereo with the truck off.

Double alternators or a higher amp alternator will charge your batteries faster and more efficiently.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:22 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the 520s are 85w? If so, you just added about 38 amps of draw with the engine running.

I wouldn't worry about it. I generally run about the same wattage in lighting and have no issues, even with extended run times (1+ hour). I don't have a big fancy stereo though.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm looking at building a tray that'll hang on the side of the frame rail to hold a pair of Group 31 commercial truck batteries. Looks like I should be able to tuck them up above the level of the running boards.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
The big 3 will help alot too. Upgrade all the charging wires to 0 gauge and also the grounds. I gained .3-.5 volts on high amp draws thats a win in my book. I do it to every car once i get it

Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince79vette
The big 3 will help alot too. Upgrade all the charging wires to 0 gauge and also the grounds. I gained .3-.5 volts on high amp draws thats a win in my book. I do it to every car once i get it
This is where I would start first. Also what alternator and battery do you have? My time truck has the 850 Motorcraft and the tow package alternator which produces a higher amperage.

If looking to add a second battery check out the E350 frame mounted tray's.

How solid is yout charging system currently?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
This is where I would start first. Also what alternator and battery do you have? My time truck has the 850 Motorcraft and the tow package alternator which produces a higher amperage. If looking to add a second battery check out the E350 frame mounted tray's. How solid is yout charging system currently?
I have that same alt u have and i run c&d 140ah batterys 3 total and its pretty good. Stays in high 12s when playing fult tilt which is pretty dam good. They have duel alt brackets for ours that are pretty cheap. Think they used them for ambulances for duel alts. And if u did that and got another alt like u have that would be the cheapest and also have 400+ amp. And ya the Diesel trucks have a second battery in the engine bay which v10 guys can do too

Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 AM
ExploringNH
Senior User
I have that same alt u have and i run c&d 140ah batterys 3 total and its pretty good. Stays in high 12s when playing fult tilt which is pretty dam good. They have duel alt brackets for ours that are pretty cheap. Think they used them for ambulances for duel alts. And if u did that and got another alt like u have that would be the cheapest and also have 400+ amp. And ya the Diesel trucks have a second battery in the engine bay which v10 guys can do too
Engine bay is cramped on v10s. Emissions equipment takes up all available space on both sides. you can fit dual optimas or a dual smaller batteries where the stock battery goes if you turn them sideways. Im not a fan of optimas in any way, so this limits options. It would be nice to toss another odyssey where the powerstroke's second battery lives. Not a fan of the frame rail mounts due to exposure to elements and damage offroad.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by ExploringNH
Engine bay is cramped on v10s. Emissions equipment takes up all available space on both sides. you can fit dual optimas or a dual smaller batteries where the stock battery goes if you turn them sideways. Im not a fan of optimas in any way, so this limits options. It would be nice to toss another odyssey where the powerstroke's second battery lives. Not a fan of the frame rail mounts due to exposure to elements and damage offroad.
I ran 8 optimas in my bass jeep for a while. They did great till i started giving them 15.8v and they started dieing lol. But for the price there are better ones out there like juciebox for the same price. And i just undid that emmisions box to work on my powersteering and i am pretty sure u could move that somewhere else with little problem

Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Also what does that box do any ways. It only has one hose going into it. Seems unnecessary to me.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:55 AM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Also what does that box do any ways. It only has one hose going into it. Seems unnecessary to me.
Vapor canister for emissions.

If removed, the power steering reservoir needs to be moved forward an inch or two, which is not that hard of a task. You can get a generic plastic battery tray and trim it to fit. There might be a need to move a couple of other things a little but nothing major.

The canister could potentially be relocated but it is large. I will not comment on the legal aspects of the removal of emissions equipment but if you do remove the canister, fuel vapors from the tank vent out of the hose that attaches to it. If you plug the hose, the tank can become pressurized if you use a non-vented gas cap. If you don't plug the hose, you will get fuel vapors out of it, venting the the engine bay, which can be a bad situation.

The old Optimas were great. It seems quality went downhill after they were bought out. I had one for about 10 years that I just moved around from car to car. It finally died after being fully discharged too many times and I bought another. The new one died within a year. Gave up on them at that point after reading some reports.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by ExploringNH
Vapor canister for emissions. If removed, the power steering reservoir needs to be moved forward an inch or two, which is not that hard of a task. You can get a generic plastic battery tray and trim it to fit. There might be a need to move a couple of other things a little but nothing major. The canister could potentially be relocated but it is large. I will not comment on the legal aspects of the removal of emissions equipment but if you do remove the canister, fuel vapors from the tank vent out of the hose that attaches to it. If you plug the hose, the tank can become pressurized if you use a non-vented gas cap. If you don't plug the hose, you will get fuel vapors out of it, venting the the engine bay, which can be a bad situation. The old Optimas were great. It seems quality went downhill after they were bought out. I had one for about 10 years that I just moved around from car to car. It finally died after being fully discharged too many times and I bought another. The new one died within a year. Gave up on them at that point after reading some reports.
Oh ok thats good to know. Thanks man. And ya i had the older optimas. I am addicted to data server batteries now. I picked up close to 50 of the c&d 140ah ones and love them. And price was cheaper than a normal battery. If u contact a server company they some times have some when they swap the old for new and they are the best used batteries u can get and can get them for a steal i get mine for around 70 each. Always maintained and are usally high ah

Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
This post motivated me to go finish up my dual battery setup. I still need to go get a battery hold-down and run wiring, but this is what it might look like if someone decided to remove or relocate the vapor canister and relocate the power steering reservoir to fit a second group 65 battery.

Quick Reply: Help Pls - 2nd Battery or Larger Alt needed ?