Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crew cab F350 repaint thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picking up a dually bed for 200 bucks this Saturday!

Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Ended up pm not getting that Dually bed but I did get a header panel to install my headlights on the obs front clip for all $15. Also going to look at another dually bed this Monday. Will get pics soon

Old 04-04-2015, 10:03 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$200 bed was shot, I'm guessing?
Still planning to go flat,Tye?
You posted one a while back that was a bit of an unusual design. I don't know what it is called. I thought it was unique, but maybe there were some impracticalities?

- edit - Centurion bed?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14624114

Old 04-04-2015, 11:31 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jayft8
$200 bed was shot, I'm guessing?
Still planning to go flat,Tye?
You posted one a while back that was a bit of an unusual design. I don't know what it is called. I thought it was unique, but maybe there were some impracticalities?

- edit - Centurion bed?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14624114
I wanted that centurion bed originally but we ended up being too far away to make a reasonable deal. After that fell through I was going to go with a nice skirted hauler bed I found off an 89 centurion that was already powder coated black and was only 850 dollars but it sold very fast and I remembered my only complaint about our last flatbed was that you constantly had to put away or tie down anything you put on it or it was gone so I've decided to go with a stock ford dually bed.

The 200 dollar bed was dented up but had great fenders and I had my eyes on another 200 dollar bed that was perfectly straight with no fenders so I was going to put them together but when I added up the math it was going to be almost 650 dollars total after travel expenses to get both beds. The bed with no fenders is only about ten miles from my house but today I fouond a very nice bed off a 92 Dually with one small ding in the corner and needing one fender at a close friends place so I will know whether or not I'll be getting that or the one at my friends on Monday depending on the price.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
It's official I'm getting a dually bed next week so I started to pull off the old one and 2 of the carriage bolt heads are already stripped in the hole from someone else trying to take them off. Will update tomorrow with pics. Going to attempt removing it myself with straps and a cherry picker and I'm replacing the fuel pumps and sending unit while the bed is off

Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Got a new fuel pump today. I'm putting on a dually bed anyway so I decided to pull the old one and it only took 7 hours. First I had to grind off most of the bolts because they were stripped

I attempted to remove it from the top with a cherry picker but the truck was too tall

So I had to get creative. The passenger side was ruined anyway but I might be able to get rid of the drivers bed side or the floor

At about ten o'clock I was able to flip the bed over onto a trailer and I may cut out a piece of the floor I need for a patch panel after I get the filler necks gooseneck plate and tail light harness off it

Until next time....

Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Was able to get it running reliably for the first time in nearly a year. Got the fuel pump done and dialed so had to drive to town for a parts store run but first I stopped for fuel and yes that bumper will be replaced with something correct for it

Then hit the highway

Managed to get to the parts store to find out my alternator was fine but it was actually my battery that was giving me problems despite testing good the first time

The deal on my last dually bed didn't work out so I'm driving the truck tomorrow to hopefully go pick one up. Also going to get an axle and possibly a hood

Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 PM
1993_f350_2013
Posting Guru
I like your new cold air intake setup! How's it work?!

Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1993_f350_2013
I like your new cold air intake setup! How's it work?!
Works great thanks.....

The deal on this dually bed also went south so I'm still on the hunt for one and my running lights have mysteriously quit working. My truck has earned the name junkyard dog so I guess that's what it'll be called. Drove it around all day today and it did great. Went to the junkyard today and picked up a factory cab light harness for $10.

I've been having a heck of a time finding rear crew cab doors and while I was at the junkyard today I found the back left one for $75. Score!

I'm picking up a black rear right door tomorrow hopefully and I'll update on how that goes. I've only been buying brick nose doors so far so I won't have to run different glass and if I pick up another rear door tomorrow I shouldn't have any problem. I'm going back later to pick the doors and possibly the interior out of this 87. Kills me to tear apart such a clean old truck but I need parts. Wish I could save this whole truck

Old 04-17-2015, 07:03 AM
Ford SD
Senior User
I'd love to have access to so many rust free body parts. Up here in NE Ohio nothing is rust free. There's a guy that brings beds up from the south that he wants over $1000 for. Usually without tailgates. I need a driver side door on my '89. I've noticed some rust starting at the bottom lip so the cancer is there. Any idea what one of your connections might be able to ship a door up here for? Obviously once you've found both your front doors.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:35 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford SD
I'd love to have access to so many rust free body parts. Up here in NE Ohio nothing is rust free. There's a guy that brings beds up from the south that he wants over $1000 for. Usually without tailgates. I need a driver side door on my '89. I've noticed some rust starting at the bottom lip so the cancer is there. Any idea what one of your connections might be able to ship a door up here for? Obviously once you've found both your front doors.
I can ask around but as far as I know none of my connections ship parts because of scammers but I'm not positive.

Took the truck over 300 miles yesterday and it ran like a champ. Did 75 the whole way and it ran cool and smooth once the tire flat spots wore off. Only problem I had was when I got to Lubbock I was going to a friends house and I looked in the mirror to see white smoke pouring out. I was only about half a mile from my friends house so I killed the engine, put it in neutral and coasted to his driveway. Turns out one of the trans cooler lines on the radiator wasn't clamped down when we did the front clip swap so trans fluid was spewing out and burning on the headers. Got a ride to town and found a clamp from another project in my truck so I was able to réclamp it and once I filled it back up with fluid it was on the road again. Only took about 20 minutes to fix so it could have began much worse. Im going to an event with it tonight so we'll see how it does. Still looking for a bed but I've been having a blast driving it again.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:25 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
... Still looking for a bed but I've been having a blast driving it again.
Are you kidding me? All of your improvements finally have that thing looking perfect just the way it is. Don't touch a thing. Red Barron has never looked so good.

ok - maybe I'm kidding ... just a little. But when I saw it in all of it's multi-color Mad Max glory with no bed, or hood, I thought to myself, "I sure hope Tye takes advantage of this wonderful opportunity and drives that thing around for a while just like that." Glad to see that you are and enjoying it.

Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
I can ask around but as far as I know none of my connections ship parts because of scammers but I'm not positive.
can you educate me on this? I don't follow?

Old 04-18-2015, 12:40 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ford SD
I'm not in the business, but have done a bit of my own shade-tree work in the past, and recall salvage yards having a 'Parts Hotline' where there was a nationwide network of salvage dealers participating in a co-op. Maybe that might be something to look into?

My memory of this dates back to BI (Before Internet) but I notice with a search using 'Parts Hotline' - there are a number of things online now that appear similar. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jayft8
Are you kidding me? All of your improvements finally have that thing looking perfect just the way it is. Don't touch a thing. Red Barron has never looked so good.

ok - maybe I'm kidding ... just a little. But when I saw it in all of it's multi-color Mad Max glory with no bed, or hood, I thought to myself, "I sure hope Tye takes advantage of this wonderful opportunity and drives that thing around for a while just like that." Glad to see that you are and enjoying it.

can you educate me on this? I don't follow?
It's been great but last night I drove it out to an event and when I got back to it it wouldn't start and had a code 32. Egr. Would appreciate where to start.

Most junkyards I go to won't ship because they don't want to deal in anything but cash. They are mostly independently owned places and won't ship. If I can get it running tomorrow I think I'll post up the drivetrain for sale soon. I'm keeping the t case but the old 460 and C6 are either being put on Craigslist or put into a rat rod project I've been dreaming of in a 1948 F6 truck. Stay tuned for that. Picking up a hood soon and praying I can get a Dually bed I've had my eye on for a while now next week. Will know tomorrow about that crew cab rear door. I'm also seriously thinking about picking up both doors off that brown truck I posted a pic of earlier. Right now I'm still hoarding parts but the true tear down will start soon.

Until next time.....

Old 04-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
I like how ambitious you are and how you go around finding parts and aren't afraid of the work involved. Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying following the progress.

Btw... This thread is titled "Repaint Thread"... What color are you planning to paint it? I assume paint will come after you're done scavenging for replacement parts. You painting it yourself or having that done professionally?

Quick Reply: Crew cab F350 repaint thread