Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem on 93 F-150 6cl

Old 10-18-2001, 11:46 AM
drought1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past Friday, i went to stop at a store. Went in. Came out. Went to crank the engine, and no go. Just the famous "1-click" from the starter switch which is located on the frame next to the battery. After checking cable connections and such, I ended up replacing the starter switch, and voila, it cranked right up. Fast forward to Saturday night. I go to work. Come out for a break, go to crank engine, and "click". Nothing. So, i thinbk to myself, aha, had a bad starter switch again. So i replaced it a 2nd time. "Voila!" cranked right up. Fast forward to Sunday morning. Get ready to go to work, and nothing... "click". Well, no more replacing starter switches, I had another problem. So, over the last few days, I've replaced the solinoid (not the starter, it was tested to be fine. However, the solinoid was stuck, so it was recommended that i just replace that). This did not help. I've replaced both battery cables. Nothing. I've replaced the key switch. Nothing. I have inspected (but not yet replaced) the ignition switch. No corrosion, burnt ends, etc. So, I am stuck now with the possibility of taking it in to someone.

Before I do though, does anyone have any other suggestions for me to check? I appreciate any and all advice I can get.

Thanks!

Joe Henry

Old 10-18-2001, 11:50 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume the battery is in good shape and not being drained somehow?

Old 10-18-2001, 11:55 AM
drought1
New User

Yes. Sorry i forgot to mention that The VERY first thing we did was check the battery. Full cranking amps. Full charge. Good battery. It was after this that we replaced the starter switch.

Joe Henry

Old 10-18-2001, 12:05 PM
StangMan
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 18-Oct-01 AT 01:06 PM (EST)[/font][p]Run ALL of the wires, the ones to the starter, from the battery, etc. A friend had a similar problem, and what happened was the insulation had come off a small piece of wire, and the wire had corroded itself into powder.
I would still be wary of the battery. If it really starts bugging you, replace the battery. That's what it sounds like. When it's hot, it won't power enough to crank. After sitting for a little while, it's rested and will work.
Just a thought.
Later

Old 10-19-2001, 01:40 PM
HOFOJOKO
New User

I have what sounds to be a very similar if not exactly the same problem as yours. My '94 F-150 w/ a 300 I-6 and manual 5 speed OD is giving me intermittent starting problems. The problem seems to occur when the engine is warm (as in a trip to go somewhere, jump out of the truck real quick then back in, go to start it and nothing), but not always. The deal is I turn the key and I get nothing but a dull hum from the engine compartment. The radio, dome light, horn and other electrical components have power, but the starter isn't cranking over. Sometimes there is a delay between turning the key and starting, sometimes it won't start at all. The battery shows a good charge and good amps when tested (it's not that old), but man. I'm stumped. Coincidentally, I keep blowing out in-line fuses for my aftermarket fog lights. So I'm thinking false ground somewhere. I have yet to remove the lights from the system to see if that is the problem, but I hope it is. What worries me is what if that isn't it? What else could it be? When I got stuck last time, I was towed to the local Ford dealer who told me all they could find was a loose neg. battery ground connection. That seemed to fix the problem, but apparently only temporarily. Help me out if you can, folks! Thanks in advance. Howard, HOFOJOKO at excite.com

Old 10-19-2001, 02:05 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that the fancy electronic machine that tests batteries sometimes passes off bad batteries as good. Get a hydrometer and measure the specific gravity of each cell. There can be one cell bad and the electronic tests will pass it, but that battery is on its way out. How old are your batteries compared to their service life warranty. A 4-year-old 48-month diehard probably would be better replaced now, rather than at the side of the road in January with a -10 wind chill.

Old 10-19-2001, 03:01 PM
HOFOJOKO
New User

Yeah, 10-4. I plan this weekend to buy a new battery (it's never a bad idea, really), remove the fog lights from the equation and finally check all wires, no matter how insignificant they look, for signs of wear and/or failure. Maybe an insulator has worn or been melted through and is touching somewhere, making for a false ground. I know this sounds a little twisted, but I hope I find something significant, because if I fix it, then maybe this problem will go away. I mean, it's gettng cold out there and riding my Harley as a back-up vehicle is getting pretty old! Howard

Old 11-21-2001, 05:39 PM
junction28
New User

I have a '93 F150 (4.9L 6cyl) that has the same problem. I just replaced the starter and it worked fine for a couple days. Then it happened again. Starter and solenoid are OK. When I short the solenoid with a screwdriver, it still won't turn the starter. What else is connected to the starter?

Old 11-21-2001, 09:24 PM
davewild
Senior User

Has anyone checked the start interlock switch on the clutch pedal?
I believe you said you had a manual, correct

Old 03-06-2002, 09:48 AM
msj6819
New User

Old 03-23-2002, 10:42 AM
wappmanb
New User

I have the same problem that people here were describing. Has anyone found a solution? I am getting frustrated!

Bruce Wappman
wappman@juno.com
Harrisburg PA
============================
Get paid to read email!
wappman.myecom.net

Search this Thread