1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Ford Econoline 4X4 questions !!!

Old 03-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Keep-n-it-custom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Econoline 4X4 questions !!!

Hey y'all this is my first post on here but not my first rodeo I'm 24 years of age and have owned my fair share of fords from e150 conversion vans to f350 lathed duallys I have owned all three big name manufactures and nothing works like a ford ...

But to the topic at hand I have owned a 1991 f150 super cab short bed for 2.5 years now and due too a blown freeze plug behind the motor mount I haven't driven her in 2 years ... The old girl has just been sitting and rust has really gotten a grasp on her between the radiator core support and the back of the cab below the window (going up into the window seal) I'm afraid what I might find under neath the cab ...

I'm considering buying a late 80's econoline and taking all of the parts and money I've put into my truck and putting it into an econoline ....
Has anyone ever done a ttb 4x4 conversion on an econoline ? Do the stock f150 radius arms work? I'm not worried about axle housing clearances as I'll be putting a 6 inch skyjacker lift in at the same time from my truck...

If anyone had tried this or has done the research on parts interchange your input would be very appreciated. I only have a few months to get this done as I'm moving to Florida for school in Orlando

So please HELP !!!!!!! Lol

Old 03-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Keep-n-it-custom
New User

6 foot bed 8 foot cap ... If I keep it it'll be cut down

Passenger side shot notice the bottom of bed vs bottom of cap I replaced bed due to rust

Old 03-13-2015, 01:40 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
not much is going to fit without major mods. engine/trans/Tcase will bolt in with Eseries mounts/manifolds. and will probably need all your engine pulleys and accessories changed to Eseries stuff to fit into the engine bay.

as for the axles.................... nothing bolts in!

unless you are a master fabricator don't even consider the swap .

it might actually be easier and faster to mount the econoline body on your Fseries frame. your PU is 139" wheelbase and the standard length Eseries is pretty close..................................

Old 03-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Keep-n-it-custom
New User
I don't under stand what's different ... What would need to be modified? A 2wd f150 uses the same components as the van doesn't it ? And I've done a pickup 4x4 conversion I just don't understand what major different....

Last edited by Keep-n-it-custom; 03-13-2015 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Didn't get the hole thought out
Old 03-13-2015, 10:49 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
2wdF150to a4wd in a F150 80-96 is a bolt in. chassis is exactly the same, other than the rear leaf springs are wider on the 4wd.

4wd F150 to 2wd E150 has nothing in common.

there is a thread on FTE about TTB into a pre92 econoline if you want to do some searching, not sure if the guy ever finished it or not. but it was a huge undertaking even for a good fabricater/welder.

in your own words you only have a few months..........................anything is possible with enough time, but you don't have that on your side.

good luck.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be an ***, but if the truck has been sitting for 2 years because of a freeze plug that needed to be changed, are you capable of doing a 4x4 conversion? As mentioned, it's not a bolt on. It's 100% custom and will require a lot of fabrication.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by EagleFreek
Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be an ***...It's 100% custom and will require a lot of fabrication.
Not being an *** at all---in fact you're pretty much spot on with your observations EagleFreek.

Fact is the F-Series and E-Series are very much different if only in the track widths so trying to transplant drive train components from one to another is at best "difficult"

Sad to see our OP saying:

Originally Posted by Keep-n-it-custom
I don't under stand what's different ... What would need to be modified? A 2wd f150 uses the same components as the van doesn't it ? And I've done a pickup 4x4 conversion I just don't understand what major different....
This line of thought shows there's a lack of understanding there are significant differences that won't allow a bolt-on & go swap.

Money cures everything though----hope he has lots of that!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Keep-n-it-custom
New User
Not trying to be a complete what ever you are .... But Actually *** holes I don't ...the fact is that I'm broke and the motor mount is hiding the freeze plug that went and good ****ing luck finding a lifted truck engine hoist on ZERO income .... Not only that but have not had the time due to being gone to school 7 hours away from the truck not every thing is cut and dry questions will keep you from looking like a complete ******* if you just ask

I've been working on trucks all my life and have done stuff similar to this in the past and I have been able to do very little research on it so I figured I'd ask y'all assuming you'd be professional adults but what I've found are a buch of people no better then the runny nose little *******s that don't know there *** from a hole in the ground similar to those I went to school with I know see this website is nothing but a ducking joke and will be deleting my account so thank you all for nothing and for future reference "eagle freak" if you want any respect I advise you to give some. if some is simply trying to ask a question why not be hospitable or like in your case if you don't know keep your ****ing nose our

Thank you all !

Old 03-14-2015, 08:43 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
That's a real good way to get people to help you.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow. You got the answer early on. Engine is in a different place in the pickup, much higher and further back than the van engine in its frame. And the van shifts the drivetrain to the right much more than the pickup.

Front suspension is entirely different. Where are the 2 steering columns and how do you put the pickup column in the van?

If your work on trucks has included pulling out drivetrains, pulling bodies off of frames, you might have a start in the kinds of skills that it might take to do something like this. Throwing your little tantrum sure doesn't reinforce your maturity.

Good luck,
George

Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Keep-n-it-custom
Thank you all !

oh no , thank you.

if you have no time and no money, what were you thinking.

good luck with school, hope your instructors are more understanding and helpful than we are. study hard and keep your phone off in class.

cheers to higher education, tradesman, experience, fabricators, and rude people . there is a place in this world for everyone. some of us find it

Old 03-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I think you should buy an E-Series and bolt on all the parts from your truck. Show us a picture when you're done!

Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Keep-n-it-custom
New User
Thank you "YoGeorge" that was genuanly helpful I apologies for my temper but I'm country raised... "can't" ain't in my book first off and haveing devoted my life to working on cars including giving up my "child hood" starting when I was 4 Years old ... So hearing any insults to my way if life dig deep… I am a "real man" so I can say I DONT KNOW EVERYTHING… No one does or there wouldn't be these forums. Everyone needs help from time to time and I absolutely despise people that come on places like this belittle people and act like they know it all ... Unless they so then share damn it!!!! I apologies to all that I offended but damn it y'all a little respect is all that's requested … I have over 100 minor ford credentials and in about 6 months I'll have ALL FORD CREDENTIALS ....I'm certified in electrical and computer diagnostics as well as a few others suspension, tires, etc.... But the campus I attended cared mainly about nascar not bashing but the cars and trucks I work on have 1/8-1/4 the power and make more then left turns and last a lot longer!!! I'm sorry I'm starting to rant again .... Again I'm sorry to all y'all that I offended but a little professional curtesy is all I ask for ... I genially feel horrible I guess that's been building for awhile as I haven't blown my top in four years and god knows I've had better reasons so again I apologies .... Thank you "YoGeorge"

Ps I've decided while I've got a few months to do it I'm going to just fix the truck and sell it and buy one of the projects I've wanted to do for years

Old 03-14-2015, 09:59 PM
Keep-n-it-custom
New User
Ok mark are you saying that out of sarcasm or being a "former ford engineer" do you have insight?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:23 PM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
I know these are in Ontario, here in Canada but still right up your alley if you sell that pickup.

1984 Ford fullsize van 4x4 | classic cars | Sudbury | Kijiji

1983 Ford E-Series Van Minivan, Van | used cars & trucks | Ottawa | Kijiji

keep up your Ford Training. I have been a licenced Truckand coach mechanic since 1992, got my automotive licence then too and have kept them both current.
started my apprenticeship in Ford heavy truck dealership, kept with it until the end.

I will have a stripped 79 E250 chassis in the spring and a stripped 96 E350 4x4 chassis , if this thread is still on the go send some pics of them side by side. if you had them side by side you would see very quickly what you would be up against.

good luck in your quest

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Econoline 4X4 questions !!!