2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

First 2017 Super duty pic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:28 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Funny.
PACCAR has been using aluminum for their cabs and Peterbilts hoods for decades. Mack, who used to be all steel finally switched over to aluminum before going out of business because no one would buy a steel bodied tractor.
Some of these class 8 trucks have millions and millions of miles and decades of use on a single aluminum cab and hood. I don't remember a Peterbilt hood falling apart, especially since there are a couple dozen of them outside of my door.
I wonder why enormous truck manufacturers like PACCAR or Freightliner stick with long lasting and proven aluminum when your local body shop is obviously so much more intelligent than educated class 8 design engineers with millions of examples running up and down the road every day.
It's also amazing to see 99% use of Alcoa aluminum wheels on almost everything on the road today, when steel is so much more appealing and longer lasting..
Puzzling....

Old 09-09-2015, 09:37 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The aluminum hood on my '09 F150 still looks new, as do the aluminum fenders, hood and trunk of my '04 Thunderbird. (The other panels on both are steel and they look new as well.) Both seem to work just fine. If the aluminum drops 700#-1000# off the super duty (and adds as much payload), that sounds great to me.

Same strength, less weight, more payload, more trailering capacity, better mileage, faster... hard call

Old 09-09-2015, 02:19 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
Lots of negative opinions on a vehicle no one has even seen yet.
I seen the picture above, that's enough.

I don't have to see Caitly Jenner in person to know he's fugly, just like I don't need to wait to see a new SD in person to know the picture isn't lying about those weird head lights.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:37 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have high hopes the 2017 SD will be awesome! Almost 2 more weeks of waiting, damnit! Someone has to have a legit leak by now?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:22 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I hope it's awesome as well. The cell phone picture is kind of a downer but maybe that was the point of it.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 PM
houseofdiesel
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FrontLineTrainer
ok my friend you win, I'm done. You're just saying stuff to try and get a rise out of people now, nothing you just said makes any sense. You want repetitive get a Dodge, they've gone virtually unchanged since 94'. The new Superduty's have different body lines, hoods, grills, lights ect. I had a 99'... nothing alike. Sigh...anyway, I just can't argue with or waste energy on incompetence. ...you may now have the last word.

Incompetence would be buying a turd to be different. To the rest of us, especially when investing $50-75k into a truck performance, durability, and options is what matters. If Ford wants to retain sales they better start checking the bread and butter sales or they can just put out whatever and watch their sales plummet. I'm not going to buy a car or truck just because it's a Ford, or Dodge, or Ferrari. Diehards really kill engineering progress and forward thought.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I seen the picture above, that's enough.

I don't have to see Caitly Jenner in person to know he's fugly, just like I don't need to wait to see a new SD in person to know the picture isn't lying about those weird head lights.
Then don't buy one.
Pretty simple.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Funny.
PACCAR has been using aluminum for their cabs and Peterbilts hoods for decades. Mack, who used to be all steel finally switched over to aluminum before going out of business because no one would buy a steel bodied tractor....
What are you talking about???

Mack is still very much in business, though they were taken over by Volvo (truck, not car) some years ago. Mack still uses a galvanized steel cab as do many Volvo's. International uses a steel cab on the TerraStar, DuraStar, ProStar, TranStar, WorkStar and LoneStar. Oh yeah, and all the Western Stars have steel cabs too. Nothing wrong with a steel cab on a class 8 semi, though there is a weight penalty. In fact, steel cabs are generally preferred on heavy duty on/off road vocational trucks for durability reasons.

Of course this has nothing to do with Ford's choice to go with aluminum on their pickups, it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:00 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Don't worry about aluminum boys. GM has signed contracts to start aluminum body production by 2018. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S5Q_5o_vUDhOJw

There's a dozen or so links all dated for Feb 2014 that confirm this.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Then don't buy one.
Pretty simple.
Maybe I'll buy one, and just fix the fugly grille/headlights. Or hide them behind another Ranch Hand. Or hell, maybe I'll just call my truck Caitlyn And everyone will know the secret that's really hiding under the fenders.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:37 AM
R Guest
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Maybe I'll buy one, and just fix the fugly grille/headlights. Or hide them behind another Ranch Hand. Or hell, maybe I'll just call my truck Caitlyn And everyone will know the secret that's really hiding under the fenders.
LOL! Thats too funny.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:45 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The reality is that you now own a brand new, over weight two decade old designed truck that looks the same when parked next to a 1999 SD.. As soon as the new one parks next you yours, you will know what I'm talking about.
It hauls less, is very inefficient and takes more effort to stop.

If you understand trucking, class 8 fleet trucks are speced for the load they carry.
A tanker for example will be paid on the amount of weight it delivers. The more liquid cargo it can carry, the more money it makes.
Same can be said by any LTL freight.
That's why you see stripped down tractors and trailers running light wide based singles dominating the highways today, and nothing added that interferes with actual cargo potential. Even the engines are now smaller to save weight, hence the CGI Paccar MX series. Aluminum fixed 5th wheels, under body exhaust, light weight cabs and hoods. Everything done is a more efficient manner. The Peterbilt 389 and the Kenworth W900L sales are falling off the charts. Light weight doesn't change the safety habits at all, in fact it's much safer by having less unladen end weight to have to stop.

Removing 700 lbs will enhance the amount of weight the new truck can tow, and it will haul more, handle better, use less fuel and will never rust. GM is now rumored to be going aluminum on their next gen large SUVs in 2018.
Guess what will follow? Probably everything.....

Today, GM may be using the "strength of rolled steel" ad campaign to plant doubt in your head, which they have successfully done, but they will be singing a different tune shortly.
Class 8 trucks are often bought more on cost than for any other reason, and since day cabs are considerably cheaper than a sleeper...well, it isn't because a sleeper hauls less. Those stripped down trucks are cheap. But a trucker running long haul needs a place to sleep that doesn't cost $100 a night. So for short / medium runs, fine. But your argument is silly. Ford is switching to aluminum to save fuel and meet future CAFE, not because they are trying to get extra payload from aluminum. That's just how they are selling you. If weight were no object, you could make a steel truck haul any load you wanted.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:48 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The above link is just speculative and incorrect information - for example, the new trucks will still have 6-speed transmissions, not the 8 or 10-speeds promised by the link.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:19 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
He's a spammer... Every post he's made is promoting that nonsense blog. Report the post like I did and get him booted.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:37 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Ford is switching to aluminum to save fuel and meet future CAFE, not because they are trying to get extra payload from aluminum.
I think you're right. However, it seems like whenever Ford announces some change that will bring about "increased fuel economy"....it translates into BS in real life....take the 2015 upgrades for example...not only did they fail to deliver better economy, they actually made it worse.

Quick Reply: First 2017 Super duty pic?