2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

First 2017 Super duty pic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:30 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
Does it matter? You will find out in a couple of weeks. However snarky you may suggest it, the grille under the camo looks exactly like the one in the prototype, and the lines of the truck are accurate.
So, I'll stick with the picture as a base of what it's going to resemble.

Doesn't really matter what it looks like to me. It may matter to some I guess. IMO, It's a Ford and it'll be sharp. I'll be buying one of the first F-350 CCLWB PSD to roll off the line.
Well, it looks exactly like a porcelain toilet. But it's a crew cab long bowl, with a diesel powered flusher. But it doesn't matter, because you'll be camping out overnight at the dealer just so you can order the first one.

For the rest of us who care about styling, let's hope Ford gets this right and it looks better than the spy picture suggests.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
What a nice thing to say about the new Ford truck..

BTW, I don't camp out, I just order it and write the man a check when it comes in.
So, my opinion is the only one that matters, and I'm sure the compliments will come the second I, or another 17' buyer posts a picture.

I'm picking up a new GMC 2500HD All Terrain Sonoma Red with black/red leather as a winter beater plow truck this weekend.
I suppose that looks like a porcelain toilet to you also, and maybe it does to some I guess, but it will make a fine work truck for me.
Funny, another member called me a brand loyalist.
The ironic thing is the name of this site, and he's a member just like you..

Trucks aren't the be all, end all for me. It's more about current style, latest technology, warranty, and a section 179.
Nothing would be more depressing than owing a brand new truck that looks the same as my first SD that I bought almost 19 years ago. That would truly suck to me.
So if it's a porcelain toilet with a diesel flusher, I'll be thrilled to death.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:53 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Actually, aside from the square wheel arches, I kind of like the look of the current GM HD trucks. If you have the money to buy a brand new truck to use as a "winter beater," than I think that's great.

My point was that I'd like to buy one of these new trucks, but only if I think it's styled well.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:03 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
Actually, aside from the square wheel arches, I kind of like the look of the current GM HD trucks. If you have the money to buy a brand new truck to use as a "winter beater," than I think that's great.

My point was that I'd like to buy one of these new trucks, but only if I think it's styled well.
The square wheel wells are gawd awful, but at least GMC uses a black moulding to make it some what less nauseating.

I have to spread it around town when I buy vehicles because most of the dealers are my customers. They all know what truck I use to plow, and what truck gets the custom accessories and wheels, along with a storage spot for the winter.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:07 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2015+ GM trucks look much better than their predecessors.

I still think Ford looks the best however.

I have faith that the final production model will look good, esp with the right color/trim/wheels.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:02 PM
leikos
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is that, historically, what has always distinguished the Super Duties from the F150 is a taller, more pronounced grill. That's been essentially the visual 'key' for the Super Duties from the start, and has only gotten more prominent with each series. So it just doesn't make sense that Ford would do exactly the opposite this time around, and give the truck a wider, flatter grill like the one in the pic.

If I were to make a stab as to the new design, I'd say they'll probably look a lot like the new F-150, but more angular and with a slightly more vertical grill that protrudes a bit more. In fact, I'd probably say that if they toned down the Atlas a bit for the production F-150, they probably do the opposite for the SD and do a slightly beefier version. It just makes sense.

But who knows - I've been wrong once before. I suppose since they did a pronounced grill for the F-150, maybe someone in the design department said they needed to do a flat one on the SD to make it different.

But to me, what's in the pic is what you'd get if you took a 1980 F-250 and told the designer to bring it up to date. I suppose too if someone said 'make a cross between an f-150 and the Super Chief concept', you might also get something like this.

For the record, my favorite SD was the second generation - clean lines, tidy, businesslike. The current SD looks to me like it's wearing a chrome clown nose.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
What a nice thing to say about the new Ford truck..

BTW, I don't camp out, I just order it and write the man a check when it comes in.
So, my opinion is the only one that matters, and I'm sure the compliments will come the second I, or another 17' buyer posts a picture.

I'm picking up a new GMC 2500HD All Terrain Sonoma Red with black/red leather as a winter beater plow truck this weekend.
I suppose that looks like a porcelain toilet to you also, and maybe it does to some I guess, but it will make a fine work truck for me.
Funny, another member called me a brand loyalist.
The ironic thing is the name of this site, and he's a member just like you..

Trucks aren't the be all, end all for me. It's more about current style, latest technology, warranty, and a section 179.
Nothing would be more depressing than owing a brand new truck that looks the same as my first SD that I bought almost 19 years ago. That would truly suck to me.
So if it's a porcelain toilet with a diesel flusher, I'll be thrilled to death.
After reading your previous posts, I am confused why you are picking up the new GMC 2500. Please let us know why you did not purchase another Superduty.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Im fortunate enough to be able to have two trucks. I buy two different brands so I have something different to drive.
I use the GM for winter plowing and for my business. It's also a double cab since I can't fit a crew cab with a plow in my garage at home. That takes Ram out of the running, and I hate, HATE the Ford Super Cab back seating area. Very uncomfortable if you have to carry someone in a pinch. I like the safety of the GM B pillar in the double cab over the non B Pillar of the Ford.
The Ford is my non work crew cab, and my daily driver until the snow flies.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by leikos
The thing is that, historically, what has always distinguished the Super Duties from the F150 is a taller, more pronounced grill. That's been essentially the visual 'key' for the Super Duties from the start, and has only gotten more prominent with each series. So it just doesn't make sense that Ford would do exactly the opposite this time around, and give the truck a wider, flatter grill like the one in the pic.

If I were to make a stab as to the new design, I'd say they'll probably look a lot like the new F-150, but more angular and with a slightly more vertical grill that protrudes a bit more. In fact, I'd probably say that if they toned down the Atlas a bit for the production F-150, they probably do the opposite for the SD and do a slightly beefier version. It just makes sense.

But who knows - I've been wrong once before. I suppose since they did a pronounced grill for the F-150, maybe someone in the design department said they needed to do a flat one on the SD to make it different.

But to me, what's in the pic is what you'd get if you took a 1980 F-250 and told the designer to bring it up to date. I suppose too if someone said 'make a cross between an f-150 and the Super Chief concept', you might also get something like this.

For the record, my favorite SD was the second generation - clean lines, tidy, businesslike. The current SD looks to me like it's wearing a chrome clown nose.
You can instantly tell a Super Duty from an F-150 since 1999. Currently, you usually cannot "instantly" tell an HD RAM or GM truck, since they look so similar. You need to check ride height, lugs on wheels, etc.

I think the custom likes this total differentiation - different cab, different bed, different nose, etc. Moving the SD in line with the way GM and RAM style their HD trucks may be cheaper, but not in the long run if customers are lost.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Here it is. Let's hope so. It looks better than the other posted picture. Comparing to the spy photos this could be it?

Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts
If that is actually it, I like it. Definitely a better angle than that spy picture. After looking at that, the spy picture definitely hides a lot of the body lines and details. I never noticed it before but there is definitely the super duty letters stamped into the hood. The crappy picture along with the silver color really hid a lot in that picture.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Are we sure this is not the F-150? The bed seems to be less than the current 6.75' short bed, in fact it looks identical to the 5.5' F-150 pickup bed. Also, why the small, F-150 mirrors? All current Super Duties have nice big towing mirrors.

But yes, this pic looks better.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
If you compare the earlier pic, they look almost exactly the same. It's just a different view, which makes the front look 100% better than the original pic. The original pic had Super Duty stamped on the hood and so does this pic.

I think most of the body will be very close to a F150 with an modified front end to make them slightly different.

Just my opinion.....

Old 08-31-2015, 12:58 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Just curious, where did you snag that pic?

Old 08-31-2015, 01:10 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by troverman
Just curious, where did you snag that pic?
I just googled 2017 Ford Super Duty......

Quick Reply: First 2017 Super duty pic?