2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Rotten egg smell/pungent odor after hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:32 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 05LTDpearl
Rachel - I am unable to PM due to insufficient privileges. Is there an email address that I can send the info to?

Thanks, Dave
Originally Posted by 05LTDpearl
It looks like I dodged a bullet. The smell in my car was from a failing battery. I replaced it last night and no more smell.

Dave
Hey Dave,

Sorry I missed your first post! Glad to see that the smell is gone now though. I'm here if you need me!

Rachel

Old 10-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the same problem with my '16 Platinum. I get the smell on hard acceleration. Took it to my dealership and of course they couldn't duplicate the problem. I only smell it when I give it full throttle when getting on the interstate. Goes away quickly but I know it shouldn't be there. Otherwise love the vehicle, never had anything that accelerates or drives as well, wish it had more room in the driver's footwell.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:48 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 13 LTD doesn`t smell with 42k on it. then again my wife doesn't floor it from every light! and even when I drive it, it doesn't smell either!

Old 10-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Only time I've had to floor it is getting on the interstate. Speed limit is 75 mph here which means traffic is running at least 80-85 so sometimes you have to really move it to merge!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 AM
vermont911
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@FordService @FordTrucks @Ford

I have a very similar situation with my 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. I dont see how to PM you the information requested, can you reply here an email or PM me please?

Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM
vermont911
New User
increasing propane / rotten egg smell

@FordService @FordTrucks @Ford

I have the same situation as many here. I can find how to PM you, can you send me an email or PM me with one please.

2016 Ford Explorer Sport

Old 01-23-2017, 08:45 PM
17STROKES
Junior User
Exhaust entering cabin

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer limited and it has had the exhaust smell as long as I can remember. I bought this car new for my wife and when I drive it I drive a little harder than she does. I almost always notice the exhaust smell after accelerating hard to pass another car. I keep thinking I am smelling this because of unburnt fuel entering the vehicle which only last for a few seconds. But in the back of my mind I feel that when I am driving at a steady speed that the same exhaust is entering my car only at a steady speed the exhaust doesn't have as many unburnt fuel odors. Although i can't keep from thinking it still has carbon monoxide which is odorless. I hope I am not putting my family at risk. And I hope the new 2017 f250 platinum that I have ordered doesn't have this same problem, I sure would hate to have diesel fumes in the cab. I don't think it will because the exhaust exits the side. I feel it is entering the rear of the Explorer cabin because of the low pressure area at the rear of the vehicle. I feel ford should contact owners to let them know of this problem. I was on this ford truck site and just tripped over this problem with the Explorer, now that I have I am going to do some investigating. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:44 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No fix that I've heard of... but since ours is a sport and we've not experienced this, I probably haven't watched as much as others...

and fyi, my 2012 and 2013 6.7 diesels did not have this problem... they were GREAT trucks I hated to get rid of...

Old 01-24-2017, 04:56 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The Explorer is the only recent Ford vehicle I have heard of that will do this, so no worries about a Ford pickup. No fix that I have heard of either. If your climate control is on, you should be pulling in fresh air at all times, so the cabin should be slightly pressurized and fumes would normally be evacuated. Fresh air would be pulled in at the cowl.

I believe the fumes come into the cabin thru the cabin vent exhausts under the sides of the rear bumper cover which should normally be letting out the interior air. It seems like with hard accel, the exhaust fumes must create more pressure than the interior is pushing out. I would almost be curious what would happen if you added long exhaust tips to the existing exhausts, or directed the flow to the sides or downward. I think someone suggested that one of Ford's fixes was using heavier rubber flaps on those vents. Alternatively, I wonder if the smell would be less bad if you were running the interior fan on a very high speed while stomping the gas pedal. I'd try it just for kicks. Also windows closed so the interior pressure is all being pushed out thru the vents.

(I don't own an Explorer but a good friend owns a Sport and I have been trying to help him out.)

Good luck,
George

Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 AM
FordFamily3
New User
Exclamation

I own a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT. It is currently scheduled to go back in the dealer next month for the first available appointment.

HISTORY: I went to leave on a Monday morning in November and my car smelled heavily of rotten eggs/trash. Bad enough that I moved my Explorer out to the driveway and decided to take my daughter in my 2008 Fusion that has 183,000 miles on it! (Disappointing that I pay for this nice new SUV and I end up driving my old car.) The smell would get terribly worse when I turned on my air conditioner and vents. I began doing research and learned that there is a class action suit for the Explorer years 2012-2015 (filed before my model year came out). Along with multiple forums explaining the issues with the Explorer exhaust and the related smell.

I was able to get into the dealer in mid November. I received a call from the service tech at the dealership stating that there must be a dead animal in the car and I will need to pay $140.00 an hour for them to start ripping off panels to find it. I asked if there were any signs of animal droppings or chewing. The answer was no. They told me that even if I paid and they didn't find a dead rodent, Ford would not pay for anymore diagnostic work! He basically stated I had no other options. Suggested maybe calling my insurance company to see if they will help. He stated that I will need to return the rental car and pick up my Explorer. I was absolutely defeated! My car is garaged 100% of the time when home and I work in an office parkway. The odds of an animal crawling up in there and dying are slim-especially with a current known issue by Ford with the smell. When I picked up my car it did not smell at all because it hadn't been running or drove anywhere. That right there would tell you it was NOT a dead animal. I also paid to have them replace the cabin air filter just in case that could help. It didn't. The only time over the winter that it had the odor was when I would use the automatic start and it would turn on the defrost by default. Now it is getting warmer here and I have had the air on a few times. Yuck. Not only is it incredibly stinky but I am afraid I am hurting my poor baby with the fumes.

Any suggestion that I should tell the dealer? I REALLY do not want to get rid of this Explorer, I love everything else about it.

P.S. Of COURSE between the visit in November and now I am past the manufacturer warranty. I did purchase the extended warranty.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:10 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by FordFamily3
I own a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT. It is currently scheduled to go back in the dealer next month for the first available appointment.

HISTORY: I went to leave on a Monday morning in November and my car smelled heavily of rotten eggs/trash. Bad enough that I moved my Explorer out to the driveway and decided to take my daughter in my 2008 Fusion that has 183,000 miles on it! (Disappointing that I pay for this nice new SUV and I end up driving my old car.) The smell would get terribly worse when I turned on my air conditioner and vents. I began doing research and learned that there is a class action suit for the Explorer years 2012-2015 (filed before my model year came out). Along with multiple forums explaining the issues with the Explorer exhaust and the related smell.

I was able to get into the dealer in mid November. I received a call from the service tech at the dealership stating that there must be a dead animal in the car and I will need to pay $140.00 an hour for them to start ripping off panels to find it. I asked if there were any signs of animal droppings or chewing. The answer was no. They told me that even if I paid and they didn't find a dead rodent, Ford would not pay for anymore diagnostic work! He basically stated I had no other options. Suggested maybe calling my insurance company to see if they will help. He stated that I will need to return the rental car and pick up my Explorer. I was absolutely defeated! My car is garaged 100% of the time when home and I work in an office parkway. The odds of an animal crawling up in there and dying are slim-especially with a current known issue by Ford with the smell. When I picked up my car it did not smell at all because it hadn't been running or drove anywhere. That right there would tell you it was NOT a dead animal. I also paid to have them replace the cabin air filter just in case that could help. It didn't. The only time over the winter that it had the odor was when I would use the automatic start and it would turn on the defrost by default. Now it is getting warmer here and I have had the air on a few times. Yuck. Not only is it incredibly stinky but I am afraid I am hurting my poor baby with the fumes.

Any suggestion that I should tell the dealer? I REALLY do not want to get rid of this Explorer, I love everything else about it.

P.S. Of COURSE between the visit in November and now I am past the manufacturer warranty. I did purchase the extended warranty.
As you can see from all the posts above, this is a well known problem. Well known to Explorer owners, well known to Ford and well known to the National Transportation Safety Board ===>

Potential Issue with Models from 2011 to 2017 Leads to Hundreds of Complaints, Could Prove Dangerous

Hundreds of Ford Explorer owners have already complained about exhaust leaks entering the cabin of the vehicle while driving. And Ford has released a total of three repair bulletins regarding the issue. But as CBS News is reporting, the problem hasn’t been fixed and could prove potentially dangerous.
Owners claim that a rotten egg or sulfur smell enters the vehicle while driving. The problem specifically occurs under acceleration while the air conditioning is in circulation mode. CBS reports that at least 450 complaints have been filed, covering Explorers produced between 2011 and 2017. Owners claim that fumes enter the vehicle through unsealed seams in the rear.

At least one of those complaints resulted from what could have been a fatal crash. Newport Beach police officer Brian McDowell was behind the wheel of his 2014 Explorer when, without explanation, he suddenly passed out and crashed into a tree. McDowell has no memory of the accident, and toxicology reports show that he had no drugs or alcohol in his system.
Doctors couldn’t explain it at first, as multiple tests showed no medical reason why McDowell had passed out. Then he remembered hearing about the complaints regarding the Explorer’s leaky exhaust. And, of course, exhaust fumes can easily make someone pass out, so it could possibly explain what happened that ill fated day.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched an investigation in July. But the Administration states that no injuries have occurred as a result of the exhaust leaks. Ford acknowledges the problem but hasn’t notified customers and can’t seem to come up with a fix. CBS references a deposition from 2015, when a Ford representative called it a “design issue” and said “we’re working on it.”
Ford reportedly also told CBS News that “in rare circumstances, there have been instances where customers detected an exhaust odor in Explorers,” adding the issue “poses no safety risk.” McDowell certainly disagrees, and has filed a lawsuit against the automaker. The Newport Beach Police has since installed carbon monoxide detectors in all of their patrol cars.

Apparently, the dealers won't care until it can be proven that someone died as a result. The manufacturer says "it poses no safety risk". Apparently the Newport Beach Police Department disagrees.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordFamily3

Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 PM
pengwen
New User
2016 Ford Explorer Limited sulphur smell

I have had my 2016 Explorer Limited for 4 months, today. It has only 1,670 miles on it. Tonight as I was going to the grocery store after work I noticed a sulphur smell as I accelerated from a 25 MPH zone to a 50 MPH zone. I had the heater on "auto" and it hadn't yet kicked on fully. When I accelerated I noticed the sulphur smell. I, too, like other people who have posted about this problem, wonder if there is carbon monoxide coming into the cabin area all of the time, especially after hearing of the officer who passed out and hit the tree, and the other TV reports/internet reports I've heard lately.
I hope Ford comes through and finds a fix for this problem!

Old 02-23-2017, 05:11 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by pengwen
I hope Ford comes through and finds a fix for this problem!
I wouldn't hold my breath (pun intended). This has been a problem for years, there have been a couple of TSB's but it seems to come down to a design fault.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:26 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder what is wrong with mine and why it doesn't smell?

Quick Reply: Rotten egg smell/pungent odor after hard acceleration