Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

small pick up diesels

Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
small pick up diesels

So GMC/chevy is putting an i4 2.xL diesel in their canyon and colorado's....

Now Nissan is is putting a 5.0L in its titan....

Whats it going to take to get ford to bring out a compact (ie ranger) 4 door diesel....

If other manufacturers are doing it...there has to be a market for it, right?

http://futurecars2015.com/2013/08/20...sel-and-truck/

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...kup-truck.html

Old 03-15-2015, 06:53 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is an idea that has been bantered about for quite some time. The answer I always get from someone @ Ford is that it comes down to profitability. A diesel option in this segment is not profitable with the projected number of sales. There does seem to be a lot of interest in diesel powered light trucks but is it enough? With Nissan and Chevrolet offering them now it will be interesting to see how well they sell. Will Ford Follow suit? Who knows. They have two engines that would possibly work well in a F150 chassis. Will the cost of the engine and the exhaust aftertreatment system be worth the expense? I for one would love to see this. Ford killed the Ranger in North America while the rest of the world got a brand new Ranger with the I-5 Duratorq diesel (same engine now offered in the Transit in North America). The numbers were just not there to consider the Ranger, perhaps the F150 is a more attractive option. Yes, we will see how this plays out soon enough.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
They have a platform, they have an approved powertrain, and now they are losing sales to the competition. Done right a small diesel pickup would be a fleet favorite, but Ford seems to be uninterested in fleet sales anymore.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
I wouldn't say THAT. Ford's fleet sales are huge. I am sure if the numbers work they will consider it. The reason we never saw the Fiesta with the diesel (for example) was due to the cost of the aftertreatment system and that was a tiny engine... but the car is also tiny and an inexpensive POS too. LMAO!

Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i can not see it ever happening.
i constantly hear about the dodge 150 diesel being so great, yet the dealers here in jersey can not give them away.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:36 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Tom, I have seen that diesel and it is not impressive though I admit I have never driven one. The Dodge guys in my shop say it is a pile of crap but I don't know what people expect from these smaller engines. They wont be huge power houses like the big engines we have become accustomed to. You cant compare them to a Power Stroke, Cummins or a Duramax.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:21 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i can not see it ever happening.
i constantly hear about the dodge 150 diesel being so great, yet the dealers here in jersey can not give them away.
You may not be able to give them away in Jersey.... But in the ohio Indiana area you can't get one... the minute one hits the lot it is gone...

Old 03-16-2015, 12:13 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
This is an idea that has been bantered about for quite some time. The answer I always get from someone @ Ford is that it comes down to profitability. A diesel option in this segment is not profitable with the projected number of sales. There does seem to be a lot of interest in diesel powered light trucks but is it enough? With Nissan and Chevrolet offering them now it will be interesting to see how well they sell. Will Ford Follow suit? Who knows. They have two engines that would possibly work well in a F150 chassis. Will the cost of the engine and the exhaust aftertreatment system be worth the expense? I for one would love to see this. Ford killed the Ranger in North America while the rest of the world got a brand new Ranger with the I-5 Duratorq diesel (same engine now offered in the Transit in North America). The numbers were just not there to consider the Ranger, perhaps the F150 is a more attractive option. Yes, we will see how this plays out soon enough.

Ford may say it is a profitability issue but I would have to question that statement as both nissan and GM are doing it. If it wasn't profitable would they being doing it, probably not!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Perhaps. But we don't get to see the numbers. It may also come down to how many they can sell too. We are going to find out now I guess.

I am surprised at how little interest this topic has gotten.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I saw a Mighty Max turbodiesel today in Kent. He was showing it off as a diesel a bit, made me wish I was driving my truck but I was in a customers car instead.