Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Suggestions PLEASE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Gear619
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Suggestions PLEASE !!!

So ive been planning on getting super swamper boggers for my truck, but my buddy says theyll only last a summer but i have a hard time believing that. My trucks a daily driver, farm truck, and a mud truck. I hear the boggers get around 20K road miles before theyre junk ... I was wondering if a different kind of super swamper TSL tire would be better for a daily driver truck ... The boggers have the deepest tread so id figure they would last the longest... Any suggestions on tires and even tips to get more miles out of the tires would be greatly appreciated ... THANKS

Old 03-11-2015, 09:06 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
Boggers are awesome, but maybe not for a DD. My friend had 38x12.5's on a Scrambler and it vibrated like crazy, an the howl? We lived about two miles from each other and at night, I could hear him until he got to his driveway!

OTOH, I had Radial TSL and LTB's. Both great tires and in never complained about longetivty.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Gear619
Senior User
Originally Posted by broncoderek
Boggers are awesome, but maybe not for a DD. My friend had 38x12.5's on a Scrambler and it vibrated like crazy, an the howl? We lived about two miles from each other and at night, I could hear him until he got to his driveway!

OTOH, I had Radial TSL and LTB's. Both great tires and in never complained about longetivty.
Would you say that the boggers and bias last about the same becuase those are the 2 im split between

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
Probably the same compound, I'd like to see what the contact area is like between the two.

I'd like to think the Boggers have more contact area so using my "logic", they'd last longer.

My LTB's were on an XJ with a spooled rear and still, I wouldn't complain about wear. I wish I could tell you how long they lasted.

My Radial TSL's were on a Samurai and then on a K5 and I sold them with lots of life left.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:49 AM
jrsweldit290
New User
I went with nitto trail grapplers m/t 285/75-r16 i love them. i had them sipped to cool off better. they run kinda like the toyo m/ts but 100 cheaper pertire

Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
TSL radials or SSRs would get better life and much better ride.

Boggers are for mud trucks and people with deep pockets LOL

Old 03-11-2015, 07:06 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
I had a set of TSL SX's (35"x15.5") that had about 25,000 miles on them before they were junk. Be warned that you may need to upgrade the speakers in your truck to cover the howling of any of those tires.
Currently, I recommend the Cooper Discoverer STT's for a streetable offroad tire.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GNR22
I had a set of TSL SX's (35"x15.5") that had about 25,000 miles on them before they were junk. Be warned that you may need to upgrade the speakers in your truck to cover the howling of any of those tires.
Currently, I recommend the Cooper Discoverer STT's for a streetable offroad tire.
I agree with the cooper stt's I have them on my f150 and have 15000 miles on them with out any noticeable tread wear. I do rotate them every 3 to 5k miles so I get an even wear on them. And I am very impressed with them. I can't wait to see what it takes to actually get my truck stuck. I have plowed mud with my bumper and still climbed out

Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Size?

Any reason to go bias over radial?

I'm very happy with my TrXus MTs, to me they're a fantastic dual use tire.

If you want more then that, then Iroks.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:03 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Size?

Any reason to go bias over radial?

I'm very happy with my TrXus MTs, to me they're a fantastic dual use tire.

If you want more then that, then Iroks.
same tire i'm running...no complaints

Old 03-12-2015, 05:28 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
Radials = no flat spots and a bit better ride.

Bias ply = daily flat spots and possible a stiffer sidewall. (Neither issues would make me not buy them though)

Old 03-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Gear619
Senior User
My trucks lifted 6" and a 3" body lift on the way so I want to get 38" or bigger tires ... The boggers that i planned on ordering are 38.5x15x16.5 .... Id love to get normal offroad tires becuase of how much cheaper they are, but they dont come in big enough sizes, unless someone knows of any that do ? ... My logic is the same as broncoderek seeing that the boggers are very flat treaded theys make more contact with the road making an even, slow, tread wear, same as any bias tire for the most part ... Radials they say are better for roads but they are arched badly making the center wear out alot faster ... I love all the suggestions and help KEEP EM COMING !

Old 03-12-2015, 09:20 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
I believe, with PROPER inflation (12 psi for my Samurai, 30+ psi for the same tire on my K5 Blazer) the contact patch is mostly square.

I know the tire will look high in the middle everywhere there's no ground contact but like I said, accounting for the load rating of the tire and the weight of the vehicle, contact patch should be flat and wear properly.

I just think by looking at tread patterns, the Bogger may have more rubber on the road at any given time than the TSL would.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear619
... My logic is the same as broncoderek seeing that the boggers are very flat treaded theys make more contact with the road making an even, slow, tread wear, same as any bias tire for the most part ... Radials they say are better for roads but they are arched badly making the center wear out alot faster ... I love all the suggestions and help KEEP EM COMING !
The logic seems reasonable, but I've never heard from anyone who has used Boggers that they give anything other than horrible tread life. And I've never seen any comparison where radials didn't give better tread life than a comparable bias ply. So if you're looking for life stay away from Boggers for sure, and better yet look for radials.

That said, bias ply tires do have tougher sidewalls, so they stand up better to off-road abuse, especially at low inflation pressures. So if a lot of rock crawling is in the cards then it's possible that bias ply tires might last longer. But it won't be because of tread life.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:47 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If the truck is a pure mud machine, Boggers are unmatched except by tractor tires. If it is a multi-use truck that sees mud, dirt, rocks and trails, a regular TSL, SSR, TSLR, IROK, will perform better. Especially if any side hills are in the mix. Boggers are notorious for not having great side traction.

If you want them for looks and bragging rights, I get it.

Quick Reply: Tire Suggestions PLEASE !!!