6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dpf & egr rookie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:39 AM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
I haven't installed in the truck yet as I am waiting to get all the parts and good weather to install them...woauld it hurt anything to go ahead and purchase everything (MCC custom tune package)? Or is it advisable to wait and get the truck deleted / tuned first and then get all the custom stuff done?
Sorry for all the dumb questions, just want a smooth transition, and really want to go straight to the gearhead tunes!
I think the custom folks will need the original tunes from the truck...correct?
If you can work a deal to get a package price on everything, then by all means get the GH and unlock code in the included package. Not sure if that can be done or not. It was an after thought for me. I got my GH tunes months after, for an additional $$$.

IMO, do one at a time. Use the H&S canned tunes to start. Learn the workings of your MM, it has many options. Try them all out, they are good. You'll be very happy with the H&S tunes.
Then install the GearHead tunes, and see the difference.

JMO

Old 03-26-2015, 11:47 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by allcool
If you can work a deal to get a package price on everything, then by all means get the GH and unlock code in the included package. Not sure if that can be done or not. It was an after thought for me. I got my GH tunes months after, for an additional $$$.

IMO, do one at a time. Use the H&S canned tunes to start. Learn the workings of your MM, it has many options. Try them all out, they are good. You'll be very happy with the H&S tunes.
Then install the GearHead tunes, and see the difference.

JMO
I'll purchase through the shop I got the tuner from, but he said he would put me in touch with gearhead and get the tunes directly from them so as not to have any issues. And I just called the shop and talked to the guy, he pretty much said the same thing, he needs some information from the truck / tuner after the install to complete everything. I won't install the tuner until I delete the truck, No need IMO, but I will purchase the custom tunes shortly thereafter, whether I install the or not for awhile. Appreciate all the info!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM
allcool
Senior User
I'll purchase through the shop I got the tuner from, but he said he would put me in touch with gearhead and get the tunes directly from them so as not to have any issues. And I just called the shop and talked to the guy, he pretty much said the same thing, he needs some information from the truck / tuner after the install to complete everything. I won't install the tuner until I delete the truck, No need IMO, but I will purchase the custom tunes shortly thereafter, whether I install the or not for awhile. Appreciate all the info!
Hey, if you got the tuner, put it on now. Make sure it works before you delete. Learn all of its settings and how it works. You don't have to run the high sulfur delete tunes. The canned H&S non deleted tunes are good and fun to play with. And the MM offers other things like tire size speedo calibration, tpms settings, etc...

jmo

Old 03-26-2015, 12:01 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Hey, if you got the tuner, put it on now. Make sure it works before you delete. Learn all of its settings and how it works. You don't have to run the high sulfur delete tunes. The canned H&S non deleted tunes are good and fun to play with. And the MM offers other things like tire size speedo calibration, tpms settings, etc...

jmo
Pro;;y will, the truck is at the front end shop right now.....sore subject, suffice it to say I won't have it back for a few hours yet. But, I needed to get all that (alignment issues) sorted before adding even more power!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM
allcool
Senior User
Pro;;y will, the truck is at the front end shop right now.....sore subject, suffice it to say I won't have it back for a few hours yet. But, I needed to get all that (alignment issues) sorted before adding even more power!
Check out the defuel settings in the MM.

With the H&S, had mine set to 180° on the water temp low set point.
That only allows the stock power level to be used till the water temp reaches 180°. It takes a good 10-15 minutes driving before the temp goes above my defuel set point. Then a alarm beep sounds to let you know you are off the defuel and in performance mode now.

I also have my MM set up to monitor oil temp, trans temp and coolant temp. I now realize it takes quite a while for the truck to really warm up and all temps seems to normalize around the 190°-195° mark. I try to only get on it when all the temps have finally reached their normalized range.

Call me ****, but I like to know my engine cylinders and pistons have all expanded to operating size/temperature and my oil is up to temp before I try to put 500whp and 1200ftlb torque down. IMO, a lot of wear takes place on cold starts and a cold engine asked to put out big HP...

jmo

Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Check out the defuel settings in the MM.

With the H&S, had mine set to 180° on the water temp low set point.
That only allows the stock power level to be used till the water temp reaches 180°. It takes a good 10-15 minutes driving before the temp goes above my defuel set point. Then a alarm beep sounds to let you know you are off the defuel and in performance mode now.

I also have my MM set up to monitor oil temp, trans temp and coolant temp. I now realize it takes quite a while for the truck to really warm up and all temps seems to normalize around the 190°-195° mark. I try to only get on it when all the temps have finally reached their normalized range.

Call me ****, but I like to know my engine cylinders and pistons have all expanded to operating size/temperature and my oil is up to temp before I try to put 500whp and 1200ftlb torque down. IMO, a lot of wear takes place on cold starts and a cold engine asked to put out big HP...

jmo
I'm the same way, got a bad case of OCD with a side order of ADD!
I'll be reaching out to several of y'all once I get the MM installed, especially defuel levels and such.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:57 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,040 Likes on 2,208 Posts
Mine is set to defuel at 160*F. Has worked for me.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:03 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I assume once you install the tuner it will walk you through different parameters? Or do you have to go into a seperate menu to access that? The truck supposed to be back here in another hour or so, can't wait to pick it up and install the MM. One thing is for certain, when they say Mini, they mean mini!
I watched one of your old videos on youtube Andre about it, eased my mind anyway. I never realized it was as small as it was.

(Dakster ought to have fun with that statement!)

Old 03-26-2015, 01:04 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Same here

Also

Turbo at 32

Hot coolant at 220

Egts at 1400

I believe I got those others defueling parameters right from h&s, but can't seem to find that info online anymore.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:07 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Same here

Also

Turbo at 32

Hot coolant at 220

Egts at 1400

I believe I got those others defueling parameters right from h&s, but can't seem to find that info online anymore.
Turbo is okay @ 32 PSI?
Just curious, I'd heard it wasn't good to allow them to boost over 24 / 26 PSI. Of course you get conflicting numbers online. Just don't want to screwed the truck up.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:13 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Turbo is okay @ 32 PSI?
Just curious, I'd heard it wasn't good to allow them to boost over 24 / 26 PSI. Of course you get conflicting numbers online. Just don't want to screwed the truck up.
With the last update I don't think I've been over 28, on the older tunes I would hit 35, no good lol. See what your hitting when you get it all setup, maybe you won't even be over 30 psi with your tune, if over, I would set the defuel around 28/30. Should be fine around there, 3+ years for me, I haven't blown anything up...yet

Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Check out this thread Mitch, third post is an h&s tech with the defuel numbers.

H&S Performance :: Topic: Defuel Levels (1/3)

Old 03-26-2015, 01:19 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,040 Likes on 2,208 Posts
I assume once you install the tuner it will walk you through different parameters? Or do you have to go into a seperate menu to access that? The truck supposed to be back here in another hour or so, can't wait to pick it up and install the MM. One thing is for certain, when they say Mini, they mean mini!
I watched one of your old videos on youtube Andre about it, eased my mind anyway. I never realized it was as small as it was.

(Dakster ought to have fun with that statement!)
Yes it is small...here is another video for where to plug in the temp sensor

Go to the main menu of the minimaxx and select "set defuel levels". It should be the bottom option if you don't scroll down. There you can set all of your defuel levels.

I have my turbo boost set to defuel at 32 psf, but the tune (v.28) that I'm running usually stays under 28psf, so I'm good there.

Cold coolant 160*F
Hot coolant 220*F
Tranny hot temp is 210*F
EGT 1400*F

Old 03-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with the custom tunes i use, i hit 40 psi on the regular

Old 03-26-2015, 01:20 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot