1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New tranny e40d leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:22 PM
bballcrf
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
New tranny e40d leak

I replaced the oring that attaches the upper tube to the lower dipstick tube on the tranny, no more leak, but now its coming out of the top, wich i also replaced that oring weeks ago. No fluid has been added in years, doesnt get alot of miles yearly. Just did a 100 mile trip and there is fluid all ober underneath, amd it all goes back to the top of the tranny dipstick, insight trans temp gauge stayed between 140-155 the entire time.

I looked for some type of vent thinking it could be clogged but could not feel it or find it, isnt it at the very top of the tranny? The tranny still shifts good, no codes, and temp stays good. Why is fluid puking out? Any ideas? Thx

Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
If it's overfilled it will come out of the vent and/or the dipstick tube. The vent is on top, just behind the bellhousing.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:43 AM
bballcrf
Mountain Pass
Thats what i thought of but i havent added any fluid in years, and its had thousands of miles with no leaks, just all of a sudden is coming out the top of the dipstick.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Check for ATF in the engine coolant. If the trans cooler in the radiator fails the fluids will intermix, and the trans could suddenly be overfilled. If this is happening you should have ATF in the engine coolant.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:26 PM
bballcrf
Mountain Pass
Hey mark, i took my truck to a local tranny shop, small shop been in buisness over 60 years, theyve done a couple trannies for me in the past no probs, anyway, they told me its 1 of 3 things, overfilled, bad fluid and overheating,or the pump is going out.

Since i havent touched the fluid in a few years, and its reading right in the middle of the hatchmarks, and the fluid is red and doesnt smelled burned, the tranny has no slipping or overheating,he said its got to be the pump going out, said its sucking air in and causing it to come out the dipstick, he also put it up on the lift and showed me the relif valve was dry and not clogged.

They quoted me $25-2800 full rebuild, new torque conv, seals, bushings and other stuff i dont remeber. He said the e40d is prolly getting tired with almost 200k miles and 100k of it being lifted. Hows this all sound? I was hoping for something small clogged up like a filter or something.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I wonder what it was he showed you. There is no relief valve on an E4OD. Where was the part located?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how a bad pump could suck in air. I could see a bad filter causing it to suck air, but a bad pump should just cause low pressure, not foaming.

Their price to rebuild it isn't out of line, and I'm sure that will fix it. I also think just changing the internal filter will fix it, but for about $2500 less. I wouldn't take it there and ask them to change the filter.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 PM
bballcrf
Mountain Pass
They had a couple e40d's out in their boneyard that he took me out and showed me, it was more like a square cap on the topside of the tranny, looked like it was crimped on but still loose and could be spun.

He then put my truck up on the lift and found mine, i could hear him spinning it. He said its good and dry. And right where his hand was is where he had just showed me on the other ones were.

I asked him if the filter could have came loose or is somehow causing the problem and if a service would help, he said if it was a clogged filter or something, the tranny would be noticeably slipping, at times id have to pull over to allow the fluid to get back down and recirculated.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

You were looking at the vent. If it is dry the fluid isn't coming out of the vent. So the question is, where is it coming from?

If the filter is loose or has a crack it will pick up air and can foam the fluid. This will greatly increase the volume of the fluid and force it out of the vent, the dipstick, or both.

If the filter is clogged the trans needs to be rebuilt. I doubt that's the problem.

It's your money and you can do what you like. I am nowhere near convinced that this transmission needs to be rebuilt. I think you have a bad filter, or a leaking dipstick tube, or another leak that I can't see.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:53 PM
bballcrf
Mountain Pass
The leak is definately coming out the top of the dipstick, ive replaced the o ring there and the middle part where the dipstick comes togethor. And the fluid is perfect, red, no burn smell, and never foams.

I think ill just do a service myself, is it just a matter of dropping the pan, filter will be right there, change it, new gasket with the pan and add fluid?

Only reason im so persistant is the tranny runs fine, temp and no slippage wise, fluid looks great. Just alot of fluid coming out the top of the dipstick, its all over my bottom cross mounts, driveline, and rearend, i can even see fluid on the rear of the valve cover just below the yellow dipstick handle

Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

You could also drain the torque converter. That would change another 8 quarts of fluid.

One you drop the pan the filter is held in by the o-ring on the neck of the filter. Just pull the filter out. Make sure the o-ring isn't left behind. It usually doesn't come out with the filter, you have to get it out.

If the gasket is a thick rubber gasket don't replace it, it is reusable. If it is a cork gasket you need a new one. It should come with the filter. The rubber gasket is FAR superior to the cork one.

The pan bolts should be tightened to 10-12 ft-lbs, or 100-120 in-lbs. DO NOT overtighten!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:03 PM
bballcrf
Mountain Pass
Ok ill give it a try, thx again mark