1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

LOOSING OIL BAD....IDEAS??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:50 PM
6.0techwannabe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its going into The fuel. Im certain of this. 100,000% positive its entering the fuel. So,brand new o-rings....aww hell...i just thought of somthin...wallered out inj cup.. for you north city folk wallered=wore out...could it be?

Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Where did you get the orings from? What did you use for lube? And how much oil is it using? Still kind of waiting for an answer to that one lol

Old 03-11-2015, 07:33 PM
6.0techwannabe
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Where did you get the orings from? What did you use for lube? And how much oil is it using? Still kind of waiting for an answer to that one lol
1 gallon every 60 or so miles. Ford motorcraft o-rings...always. my 6.0 customers get multi layered steel ford motor craft as well... off subject but just 2 let u know. Ford parts...corn head greese. Its used in agriculter. Ive had the best luck with it. Besides,there viton o-rings. I dont even think the vasaline effects them like they say it does.
Before anyone ask. Yes,there torqued to spec

Old 03-11-2015, 08:50 PM
williameub
Senior User
1 gallon every 60 miles?

If it's injector orings, the pull the fuel filter and make sure. That much oil is going to dye a filter real quick.

Also, if your losing THAT much oil through injector o-rings, you'd know. It probably smoke like a trailer queen and run like crap.

Considering these truck don't run when they get 2qrts low... I'm assuming your topping off every 30 miles?

Hmmm...

Old 03-11-2015, 10:08 PM
6.0techwannabe
Senior User
Originally Posted by williameub
1 gallon every 60 miles?

If it's injector orings, the pull the fuel filter and make sure. That much oil is going to dye a filter real quick.

Also, if your losing THAT much oil through injector o-rings, you'd know. It probably smoke like a trailer queen and run like crap.

Considering these truck don't run when they get 2qrts low... I'm assuming your topping off every 30 miles?

Hmmm...
Yes filter is black. Thats why i was say 10 billion% sure its going in the fuel tank.or watevr. Yall tell me wat to pull. Ill tell u if ive done it. If i havent then ill do it and report back.

some one chime in on the scanner results. I ran evry test. P1111...system pass..... i was sure id pick the prob up during the contribution test....nope

Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
If the fuel filter is black there is only one way it's getting there. I've never heard of warped cups but you never know. I guess it could be a possibility.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 AM
6.0techwannabe
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
If the fuel filter is black there is only one way it's getting there. I've never heard of warped cups but you never know. I guess it could be a possibility.
Me either brother. How would you diag a fuddged inj? Thats showing no failure on a high end scanner. Imo the best scanner out there.

WTf do i do next? Well,it would be pricey but mr jim in ohio. Bench test....

Old 03-12-2015, 12:21 AM
williameub
Senior User
Easiest, cheapest and what will probably fix this problem is to get new orings and pull the injectors. Bet you'll find one (or multiple if it's really using that much oil) bad seals.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:00 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 6.0techwannabe
Me either brother. How would you diag a fuddged inj? Thats showing no failure on a high end scanner. Imo the best scanner out there. WTf do i do next? Well,it would be pricey but mr jim in ohio. Bench test....
if the oil is going past the internal orings it would be burnt, not in the fuel. One of the external orings must have been damaged or somehow got damaged upon intstall IMO. It's a crappy situation for you my friend. A lot of work to do again.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I'd pull the sticks and look at the o-rings. Maybe one of them rolled when you reassembled it. If a cup was bad and the oil was leaking past the o-rings I think you'll see evidence of that on the o-rings themselves. 3000 PSI oil flowing past a Viton o-ring has got to leave a mark. My guess is that it would cut and erode the o-ring.

If they all look good, then yep. I'd box 'em up and send them to Rosewood. There has to be something amiss with one or more of them internally. That's the only place it can be getting into the fuel.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:40 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by williameub
1 gallon every 60 miles?

Hmmm...
Not completely true, back when my o rings went bad my bowl was crystal clear with a light coating on the bowl surface(clean oil though), and filter slightly grey, not near as bad as I have seen some. Truck was eating 8 qts of oil in 35 miles. No smoke, no wet pipe, just shot injector orings.... upgraded the injectors at that point.

Me either brother. How would you diag a fuddged inj? Thats showing no failure on a high end scanner. Imo the best scanner out there.

WTf do i do next? Well,it would be pricey but mr jim in ohio. Bench test....
What is this scanner you speak of?

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Yep, I'd pull the sticks and look at the o-rings. Maybe one of them rolled when you reassembled it. If a cup was bad and the oil was leaking past the o-rings I think you'll see evidence of that on the o-rings themselves. 3000 PSI oil flowing past a Viton o-ring has got to leave a mark. My guess is that it would cut and erode the o-ring.

If they all look good, then yep. I'd box 'em up and send them to Rosewood. There has to be something amiss with one or more of them internally. That's the only place it can be getting into the fuel.
Agreed 100%

Old 03-12-2015, 12:18 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, most likely something happened to an external o-ring. Even the best mechanics can make a mistake on occasion or something could've been wrong with the o-ring out of the package. Stuff happens.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:05 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
1 gallon every 60 or so miles. Ford motorcraft o-rings...always. my 6.0 customers get multi layered steel ford motor craft as well... off subject but just 2 let u know. Ford parts...corn head greese. Its used in agriculter. Ive had the best luck with it. Besides,there viton o-rings. I dont even think the vasaline effects them like they say it does.
Before anyone ask. Yes,there torqued to spec
Who says vaseline effects them? I used 50/50 vaseline and oil for lubeing up the O rings.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Who says vaseline effects them? I used 50/50 vaseline and oil for lubeing up the O rings.
I can't imagine it being bad.we assembled trans w it for years.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:34 PM
6.0techwannabe
Senior User
guys listen,and im not tryin to be a d1ck.....THE INJECTORS HAVE BEEN PULLED 3 TIMEZ....i too thought i tore 1 going in.....NO.

Ill say it again. Its not the o-rings fellas. Not the turbo,and not the oil cooler. Its gettin in the fuel....PERIOD. lets look at the anatomy of an injector. Theres a poppet valve at the top thats pulled on by the sillynoid,letting oil flow. At the bottom,plunger and barrel. Think of it like an internal engine. Theres the intensifier piston follow by the barrel. HOW DOES OIL GET FROM THE POPPET TO THE BARREL? im not jim,and i really dont wanna bother him with this. I bother him enough. And besides,this truck belongs to a cheap basterd. He aint gonna buy from jim.
Whats between the poppet and plunger/barrel. Ill scoure the net. Any1 wanna help. Pls post your findings. Again not being a d1ck. And a huge thanx guys

Quick Reply: LOOSING OIL BAD....IDEAS??