Sponsored by: Moser

Factory Sony Sub lacking in power

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Indslpwr04
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Sony Sub lacking in power

Anyone else have a premium Sony sound system with the sub under the back seat? For saying 700W of power it sure does not hit very hard. I've messed with all the settings on the radio and cant make it any better.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:41 PM
pepito113
Senior User
Originally Posted by Indslpwr04
Anyone else have a premium Sony sound system with the sub under the back seat? For saying 700W of power it sure does not hit very hard. I've messed with all the settings on the radio and cant make it any better.

I believe 700 watts is for the whole system... I agree that the sub sounds like cr@p... A option you can look into is the kicker subgate. I have read people saying its a great upgrade. If I do the change it will be for the sub change only. They have a option that you can power up the other speakers as well.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the Sony premium system and it's pretty good for something offered by the OEM...but yes, it can easily be blown away with aftermarket components. I picked the system because no one ever wants to break into your truck to steal a factory system. If I replace it, I'd keep all the factory speaker grills to hide the better components.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:10 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

I think mine cranks pretty good. The kids always complain about the bass when sitting in the back seat. The sub in mine is behind the back seat facing forward where the armrest drops down.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The Sony 8" POS is rated at about 80watts of that 700watts total for the system. Adequate but lacking, especially if you're accustomed to larger systems.

The Kicker Substage is a very sufficient addition. 10" sub powered by a class-D 200w amp that's all contained in one module that bolts in place of the Sony unit. The system provides you with the necessary power run and wire taps. Its about an hour long install from start to finish. The 10" provides very good low end (enough to shake all three mirrors) and looks like factory finish. Some have found it on Ebay for around $300-$500 shipped to their door. It's not as crisp as a true pieced together system, but it's a good addition.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:37 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I think what McDavis meant was the Kicker Soundgate Sub.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
700 watts ........no way Ford ......lucky to be half that and doubt they are

Old 03-15-2015, 02:32 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
the sony system was a standard feature on the King Ranch but I would have opted for it if it wasn't standard. I've never had any sort of after market system just oem but this the best audio system I've ever had. My previous truck was a toyota tundra and it had a factory JBL system in it. No subwoofer just door speakers and tweeters but it was a noticeable upgrade from the standard factory system in the tundra I had before that. I listen to mostly country and rock in the truck so I'm not really working the subwoofer. The sound is always super sharp and clear but I do notice on songs with more bass and treble to them how much more pronounced and clearer those tones are in this system compared to the JBLs which I attribute subwoofer.

Every once in awhile, I'll get a wild hair throw the ipod on shuffle and listen to some rap. The other day "Still Dre" came on so I cranked it up close to full blast and was actually pleasantly surprised with the performance of the stereo. The bass and treble tones came through Thanks to the sub there was no distortion in the speakers like you would get playing rap at full tilt without a sub but I also wasn't getting that "thump" that every car at the intersection can feel. The bass from the sub is strong enough that when modern rap songs that are super heavy on bass tones come on, the system does start thumping and I turn the music down at intersections but it obviously isn't gonna be as obnoxious as the 16 year old kid with two 10's, an amp, and the latest lil wayne cd in his civic at a stop light.

I still find it curious that they would include a sub from the factory as part of the premium audio package considering the trim levels that it comes standard on. I don't see you typical F-150 King Ranch/Platinum/Limited buyer being in the demographic that is looking for a factory subwoofer in his next car. Honestly the only complaint I have about the sub is that I wish it was somewhere else in the cab besides on the floor. The fold up seats and flat floor leave you tons of room space as it but theres been a few times putting things back there where it would be nice to not have the box be right there.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

For 2015 they moved it to behind the rear seats and not on the floor

Old 03-15-2015, 10:08 AM
mrrish79
Senior User
Yeah the location of the sub in my 2010 is annoying. I want to get one of those under the seat gun holders but can't because they aren't compatable with the sub

Old 03-28-2015, 03:18 PM
bigpoppapump_5
New User
Originally Posted by King Ranch
For 2015 they moved it to behind the rear seats and not on the floor
That's good to hear. Sucks as I like having the space under the back seats. The sub takes a bit of space up

Old 08-11-2015, 03:16 PM
mtnxtreme
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I hear ya on this, my girlfriends 09 Audi Q7 puts my Sony premium to shame, I thought maybe Ford had a better stereo that just didn't come in my truck, but I think mine is the better ?? Is anything better available on the 15 or 16's?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:44 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish the Sony system in my new Limited sounded near as good as the Alpine system in my 2013 RAM 1500 did.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Scum Frg
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO the bass in the Sony system is plenty powerful when listening to my two teens hip hop tunes LOL

Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All of my flash drive music came off of the internet back when I was using a file sharing program. The sound quality of most of the songs are lacking in tone and volume just in the recording. If the sound quality isn't decent when it was recorded it's not going to sound great on any system. I've got just a few songs that will rock the house with a little volume. Not that I'm into Michael Jackson but his recording of Billy Jean is one of those few songs that sounds really great in my truck. If all of my flash drive music sounded that good, I wouldn't have any complaints.

The sounds coming out of the system when the Sirius radio in on is another matter.

Quick Reply: Factory Sony Sub lacking in power