Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

To purchase additional warranty coverage of not to purcahse:

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 04:07 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Some of you guys are so cynical about dealers that you would lose opportunities to negotiate deals you hadn't anticipated.

I always let the dealer make their sales pitch. ALWAYS! The guy that keeps talking during a negotiation is the guy that keeps losing ground. Just let them talk and keep trying to sell you something. Never shut the door on the conversation, and always leave hope on the table so they keep making better offers. Sooner or later you're going to learn what is most important to them and get to their bottom line. Then you can use that information to negotiate the items you want the most, or just say no thanks.

You never know what kind of deals you can get if you don't explore. Going in cold and demanding exactly what you want is the game plan of an ineffective simpleton.

Great idea except for a couple of flaws:

1. The markup from the vendor to the dealer is very high.
2. The markup the dealer requires is still there.
3. The best price is still too high.

I say live a little and gamble a little. Put that money in the bank and let it grow. You will have more than if you buy insurance with it most of the time--Bet on taking good care of your truck and it will take good care of you.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:57 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
That's exactly how I feel about extra insurance. Over the long run you'll be money ahead if you take care of your vehicle hope nothing major goes wrong. On my 2012 the insurance may have been a break even since I had to replace my IWE actuators.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Skinner, I forget, do you agree with me that there shouldn't be any factory warranty or do you think they should include it out to 10 years on powertrain? As you know Ford makes money on including the factory warranty too. Factory warranties are really nothing more than forced extended warranties, and few people seem to think they are a bad idea.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:45 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will be a while before he's back, Frantz.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Oh well... He was amusing.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 AM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Having made it 56 years without buying an extended warranty on anything I've purchased...and thankfully never needing one, I've got to be on the plus side....hopefully to stay.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:26 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will be a while before he's back, Frantz.
I can't remember the last time there was someone on FTE that had so little respect for other people's opinion as Mr. Skinner. If he has a family, I can only imagine what life is like for them...

Old 07-06-2015, 07:20 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
We push the non-Ford warranty as I mentioned, and we sell it for less than the Ford warranty. You just have to know what the product is. I bought the non-Ford warranty for my car because it cost less for the same coverage and I know the company. We've had people say the same basic thing of "I don't want one they cost too much" and when they hear our price they end up buying it. So for us, yes, we make more money because the customer is spending less, but more often.

Frantz,
Do you know anything about extended warranties from Warrantech? Local dealer tried to sell me one with my truck last week. All my googling turns up a lot of negative reviews, very few if any good reviews.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:38 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
I can't remember the last time there was someone on FTE that had so little respect for other people's opinion as Mr. Skinner. If he has a family, I can only imagine what life is like for them...
I am really sorry if I offended anyone. I do tend to look down on people who buy warranties. I know they are very expensive and I consider them a gouge. Then, people will compare them to health insurance or car insurance to make a pointless attempt at justification. Without going into that, I see many attempts to justify many things using flawed logic. I think frants asked something above as to whether I agreed with him on an either or question. It didn't make any sense to me. What I do say is that the factory warranty is plenty sufficient for me.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:45 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
Skinner, I forget, do you agree with me that there shouldn't be any factory warranty or do you think they should include it out to 10 years on powertrain? As you know Ford makes money on including the factory warranty too. Factory warranties are really nothing more than forced extended warranties, and few people seem to think they are a bad idea.
Here it is. "do you agree that there shouldn't be any factory warranty..." No. I never said that. Then he continues "or do you think they should include it out to 10 years."

This is known as the Either or false argument. Then he goes on to claim "As you know Ford makes money on including the factory warranty too." Really! How does Ford make money on the warranty?

He goes on with a claim that factory warranties are forced extended warranties; apparently not realizing that warranties cost the companies money to honor and are part of the purchase price. They typical reason that companies offer longer warranties is to compensate for their reliability problems.

It is really hard for me to respect nonsense, but I am sorry for expressing it inappropriately.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Do you know anything about extended warranties from Warrantech?
I don't know them. Not that they are bad, I just don't know them. We use a pretty big company called Resource Automotive.

Skinner, It is a sliding scale. I've never heard anyone say "The factory warranty is perfect as it is", so I did make an assumption that you either wanted less warranty, or more warranty. If that's false, then lucky you, the factory nailed your needs!

They are forced warranties because I have to get it when I buy a new car. Ford, Chevy, and every company has figures to determine how much they will likely spend on warranties. If you think that isn't included in the price of the car, you're being pretty naive. If you think the companies don't error on the side of caution with those numbers which in term generates profit, once again.... Typically when a company extends a warranty beyond the industry norm it's for marketing, either to have a perceived edge over the competition, or to cover up for past sins. Every car that Ford makes has a profit margin. Manufacturing, marketing, warranty repairs, transportation, etc. Ford makes money selling each car. I really don't care if you consider a warranty a set part of the purchase price (as I do), or if you say it's part of marketing only, it still has an avg cost per unit, and we the consumers pay more than that cost when we buy the car.

I'm sure the reason they are forced is because people wouldn't be willing to fork over $40k for a pickup that might have a computer go bad a mile down the road. In this way the warranty would be calculated as part of marketing. A vehicle people don't have to worry about expenses on is value adding. Because many people don't want to pay more for more coverage, but are perfectly content to accept the factory warranty that may or may not fit their lifestyle very well, they simply balance the marketing value with the actual cost. They find a positive position and that's how we ended up with 3/36 and 5/60 as an industry norm. So some of the cost of the factory warranty is absorbed by the marketing value, I'd argue that the MSRP would have to be significantly less in order to justify an higher risk purchase. Ford has simply found a way to justify us paying more for a vehicle because they are assuming risks after the purchase. Hence, more profit, higher purchase price, and my point.

At the end Skinner, it's not that you disagree that gets annoying, it's that you sound like Eric Cartman making fun of Sean Hanity in the dances with smurfs episode of South park. You attack my specific statements (which is fine and healthy), but you do so without substance. Tossing a few phrases you learned in philosophy class doesn't win an argument. Even if I'm wrong about some of it, I'm genuine in my intend, as I'm sure you are. I try to fully explain my understanding to both prove my point but to allow for group refinement of an idea that does affect us all. I do buy cars too, quite a few actually. I don't have the figures of how much profit Ford makes when factoring its warranty compared to when you buy an aftermarket. I do know that the company we deal with offers the same coverage for less than when I price out a Ford backed warranty. There is obviously a profit motive with warranties, but that doesn't mean it's a gouge... you know, unless you're being forced to get one and you don't want it like the built in factory warranty.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The factory warranty is treated as an expense, not a source of income. As far as the business is concerned warranty dollars reduces operating profits. On the flip side of that coin the product pricing does include an assumed warranty expense per vehicle. The amount is slim but it does exist. So, yes, you are paying for factory warranty but it is a much better deal than extended warranty.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
The amount is slim but it does exist. So, yes, you are paying for factory warranty but it is a much better deal than extended warranty.
Do you have figures to back that up? Do you have figures that shows the profit Ford makes selling the extended? (not dealer, as that is dealer set).

I'm not disputing the statement at all, but in order to have a value based discussion, we have to know the values. Regardless of the amount of profit, your statement would confirm it IS an expense, and therefore, something I'm being forced to buy, be it a "great deal" or not.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:04 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
The largest profit center of the dealership I worked at was finance. We made more money slinging loans & selling insurance than selling the vehicle. When people came into finance we said they were in yes mode so our mission was to sell them the extras. The dealership probably couldn't support itself off the profits from new car sales alone.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:33 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
The factory warranty is treated as an expense, not a source of income. As far as the business is concerned warranty dollars reduces operating profits. On the flip side of that coin the product pricing does include an assumed warranty expense per vehicle. The amount is slim but it does exist. So, yes, you are paying for factory warranty but it is a much better deal than extended warranty.
Correct. It is not a "forced" warranty in any way. It is included in the price and Ford has a very accurate accounting for what it will cost, which is managed.

Quick Reply: To purchase additional warranty coverage of not to purcahse: