Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

To purchase additional warranty coverage of not to purcahse:

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:27 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was pretty open about how much I get my company on warranty. I mark up my commercial warranties $500. As I said, this puts the cost of the warranty under what most fleet managers spend over the same period of time and miles by enough money to make it a good deal, and the cost is planned as a monthly expense. It's a little thing in the economy called value adding. Even if my role is just explaining the value, that increases it. After all, if it was a zero profit product and I just didn't tell you about it, then that isn't doing you much good. Profit motive and greed are different things. Last year I sold about 150 vehicles for the company and personally made just over $50k. I work an avg of 55 hours a week. Just because I work on commission doesn't mean I'm ripping people off. And if you think the job is easy for the money, then every dealership is hiring because its hard to find people who can make it. Every jobs salary is determined by the profit it allows the company to make, mine just has a direct performance correlation. There isn't anything outright evil about that sir. I'm not on this forum to sell trucks myself. I'm here because I like trucks and own one. I participate in the new truck sections to try and help folks get good information so they can get a truck they'll like. I always encourage folks to work out a deal with their local dealership and build a relationship. I do want you to buy a Ford, I only want you to buy a warranty if you find the value in it.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:59 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
That's not the reason. The reason is because you make more money on them.
I swear, automobile dealers comprise the only business in the world that's expected to lose money on every single product they sell. Every customer expects "the deal of a lifetime," to absolutely STEAL the vehicle. I wonder if anyone walking into Whole Foods (or the Apple Store, or Nordstrom's, or Verizon, etc...) expects to accomplish the same. Until you find a car dealer that says "Salvation Army" on the sign out front, we're all just going to have to resign ourselves to the fact that the owner of said dealership expects to be on the plus side at the end of the year.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:35 PM
cdestuck
Mountain Pass
If you do buy, don't pay they price they quote. I just picked up my 2015 Lariat and I was asked and I first said no sayings there is too much markup. Then I asked just what 7yr/60,000 did cost. I was told $1750 or something close to that. I offered 1100 bucks and he came back with 1155, saying they would then make 200 bucks. I bought it.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Then I asked just what 7yr/60,000 did cost. I was told $1750 or something close to that. I offered 1100 bucks and he came back with 1155, saying they would then make 200 bucks. I bought it.
That looks like for "BaseCare" with a standard deductible of $100 (to the dollar on my sheet). That's not a full warranty. There are so many variables, you do have to make sure you know what you're buying.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:06 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
It seems to me that you are making many flawed arguments that are off point. Extended warranties have a very high mark up. The point I was making that is true is that Dealerships will sell plans that are not backed by Ford and the dealership gets an even higher commission. If and how that company honors that warranty is not the dealers problem.

I recommend against it.
Dealerships will if you allow them to. Educate yourself and go in there armed with information and you'll end up with a FORD ESP if you are in the market.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:17 PM
cdestuck
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Frantz
That looks like for "BaseCare" with a standard deductible of $100 (to the dollar on my sheet). That's not a full warranty. There are so many variables, you do have to make sure you know what you're buying.

No, got the Premium Care whatever it is called. Just checked my paperwork.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:29 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
I swear, automobile dealers comprise the only business in the world that's expected to lose money on every single product they sell. Every customer expects "the deal of a lifetime," to absolutely STEAL the vehicle. I wonder if anyone walking into Whole Foods (or the Apple Store, or Nordstrom's, or Verizon, etc...) expects to accomplish the same. Until you find a car dealer that says "Salvation Army" on the sign out front, we're all just going to have to resign ourselves to the fact that the owner of said dealership expects to be on the plus side at the end of the year.
The other side of that is that I want the best price I can get. As dishonest as I have found dealerships to consistently and repeatedly be, I have no empathy for dealerships.

If the stupid dealership wants the referral from Costco and the Costco price is $1200 below invoice, then that is the price. Too bad the dealerships you are defending make an agreement and then refuse to keep it. The are lucky I didn't sue them for fraud and ask for treble damages. I think I would have got them too.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Dealerships will if you allow them to. Educate yourself and go in there armed with information and you'll end up with a FORD ESP if you are in the market.
Holy crapamoly, we totally agree.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
No, got the Premium Care whatever it is called. Just checked my paperwork.
JW.. what deductible? is it 4x4?

Old 06-16-2015, 09:52 PM
cdestuck
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Frantz
JW.. what deductible? is it 4x4?

yes, 4x4. and i'm thinking its 100 deductible.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:56 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Not sure if it this still applies but Ford dealers as recently as 2010 were selling aftermarket extended warranties, FoMoCo did not provide extended warranties. Take that nice brochure you get from the dealer with FoMoCo all over it and look for the fine print. I paid half what the delaer was asking and got the same ext warranty for my Ranger, 6 months after the fatory warranty ran out. The kid also paid about half for ext warranty on his 2010 F150, he bought his when he bought the truck.

This holds true for Harley Davidson ext warranties and Chevy as well, at least in my experience anyway.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:36 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by 02FX4Dude
Not sure if it this still applies but Ford dealers as recently as 2010 were selling aftermarket extended warranties, FoMoCo did not provide extended warranties. Take that nice brochure you get from the dealer with FoMoCo all over it and look for the fine print. I paid half what the delaer was asking and got the same ext warranty for my Ranger, 6 months after the fatory warranty ran out. The kid also paid about half for ext warranty on his 2010 F150, he bought his when he bought the truck.

This holds true for Harley Davidson ext warranties and Chevy as well, at least in my experience anyway.
Ford has and does sell extended warranties.

Extended Vehicle Service & Protection Plans | Service & Maintenance | Official Ford Owner Site

If your dealer is telling you otherwise, they are trying to sell you something that makes them more money.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
We push the non-Ford warranty as I mentioned, and we sell it for less than the Ford warranty. You just have to know what the product is. I bought the non-Ford warranty for my car because it cost less for the same coverage and I know the company. We've had people say the same basic thing of "I don't want one they cost too much" and when they hear our price they end up buying it. So for us, yes, we make more money because the customer is spending less, but more often.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:11 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
Ford has and does sell extended warranties.

Extended Vehicle Service & Protection Plans | Service & Maintenance | Official Ford Owner Site

If your dealer is telling you otherwise, they are trying to sell you something that makes them more money.
I'm not saying Ford doesn't sell them.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:45 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
The other side of that is that I want the best price I can get. As dishonest as I have found dealerships to consistently and repeatedly be, I have no empathy for dealerships.

If the stupid dealership wants the referral from Costco and the Costco price is $1200 below invoice, then that is the price. Too bad the dealerships you are defending make an agreement and then refuse to keep it. The are lucky I didn't sue them for fraud and ask for treble damages. I think I would have got them too.
Well, since you brought it up, not ALL dealers are crooks. My dealership sells EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE on our lot for $300 below invoice, the sole exception being the one-of-137 2015 Mustang GT350 (we've had several customers offer way over sticker, and no dealer will say no to that). It's pretty rare for a local competitor to beat our price, but if they do we'll match their advertised price. To control floor-plan costs we actually prefer that you order your new vehicle, so we'll guarantee the current rebate in writing when you place your order. Think a used car purchase is too risky? We sell ours with a 20-day, 2,000-mile 102% money-back guarantee. That wasn't a typo: our owner will refund 102% of your purchase price if you're not happy with the car, no questions asked, and we've been doing that since 1985.

Quick Reply: To purchase additional warranty coverage of not to purcahse: