1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1968 ford 2 to 4wd swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 AM
Jessie Walden
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1968 ford 2 to 4wd swap

I've got a 1968 f100 2wd and a 78 ford bronco that was rolled and I wanted to know if I can put the 4x4 running gear under the 2wd frame

Old 03-09-2015, 03:23 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What transfer case / transmission combo on each of the vehicles?

Are they the same wheelbase?

Are the differentials the same gear on each vehicle?

If not, do you plan on swapping both differentials from the Bronco onto the F100?

Is the F100 a floor shifter?

Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 AM
Jessie Walden
New User
I think they are the same wheelbase not sure what transfer case the bronco is a autotrans and the f100 is a 3speed and I plan on swapping both differentials

Old 03-09-2015, 03:33 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
Originally Posted by Jessie Walden
I think they are the same wheelbase not sure what transfer case the bronco is a autotrans and the f100 is a 3speed and I plan on swapping both differentials
Do you plan on swapping the automatic into the F100?

Is the bronco's transfer case shift level in the floor?

What engine's do the vehicles have?

Old 03-09-2015, 03:36 AM
Jessie Walden
New User
yes I was going to because 3 gear is out in the 2wd truck and yes the shifter is in the floor the bronco got 351m or 400 not sure I got a built 302 I would like to put in if it would fit

Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
yes I was going to because 3 gear is out in the 2wd truck and yes the shifter is in the floor the bronco got 351m or 400 not sure I got a built 302 I would like to put in if it would fit
What engine is currently in the F100?

Old 03-09-2015, 03:45 AM
Jessie Walden
New User
no motor and trans is out of the f100 and the bronco is still together

Old 03-09-2015, 03:49 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
no motor and trans is out of the f100 and the bronco is still together
302 and a 351W are both Windsor engines and utilize the same motor mounts. The only issue is what engine was in your F100. If the transmission fit on the 351W it will fit on the 302, the only issue is, these are going into the F100. Do you plan on modifying the motor mounts for the F100? I do not believe Windsors became an option in F100s until 1969 so you are more than likely going to have to make modifications for the engine to mount. Assuming you get the engine relatively in the same location as it sat in the bronco in regards to length from the front wheel, (because we are talking about wheelbase here), then you could swap over EVERYTHING including front and back differentials and driveshafts. The only issue is you are going to have to make modifications / custom brackets to hold the transfer case / transmission. If the engine mounts differently in regards to wheelbase than it did in the Bronco, you may come into driveshaft issues. Hopefully you have metal cutting / welding tools because you are going to need them.

Is it possible? Yes.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:59 AM
Jessie Walden
New User
yes I plan on doing some modifications I just wanted to make sure I was able to swap the stuff before I took everything apart the bronco wheelbase is 104.7 and the f100 is 115

Old 03-09-2015, 04:04 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
yes I plan on doing some modifications I just wanted to make sure I was able to swap the stuff before I took everything apart the bronco wheelbase is 104.7 and the f100 is 115
The only reason the wheelbase matters is due to driveshaft issues. Also, since your truck was a column shift without a transfer case you are going to need to make some major modifications to the floor of the cab, especially with that auto transmission going in there. I do not have any information on how the differentials will bolt up, but I would assume it should go smoothly. With modification, anything is possible. You could put a 460 in a Falcon if you wanted to. (I actually know someone who put a LS Corvette engine in a 66 VW beetle. ) You may have some driveshaft issues depending on how and where the engine mounts, and be prepared to do some cutting / welding. If you do go through with this, be sure to post many photos and you will get some great help along the way. (Especially from the guys here in the 67-72 section.)

I wish you luck my friend as it is no easy job.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:11 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
Also, are you using the automatic transmission out of the Bronco? If not, make sure the transfer case will bolt up to whatever transmission you are using. Also, having an automatic transmission in front of a transfer case makes the transfer case so far back that you need a bracket / extension going from the lever in the cab back to the transfer case which is closer to the bed. (If that makes any sense.) If you are using the automatic transmission from the Bronco, it may have the bracket / extension already but it may not be the correct length due to the wheelbases being different. I cannot tell you for sure, and the only way you will find out is by doing it.

I do know that no 4x4s had twin I beam suspension. Why? I do not know, it may have something to do with the front end / front drive shaft. 4x4s are also factory lifted an inch or two. Im not saying you will have to do this, but a body lift may free up some necessary room you may find yourself needing. Remember, that truck was not designed to have a front drive shaft.

Like I said, keep up with your build and post some photos and questions and you will get all the help you need here in the 67-72 section.

See you around,

Mister_King

Old 03-09-2015, 04:21 AM
Jessie Walden
New User
thanks for the help I was going to use then bronco trans and it suck that the bronco got rolled its has 32,000 on it and was really nice I do have a highboy I was go to put the bronco stuff in it but my f100 need to come apart and ive always wanted a 4x4 f100 67-72 but ive put efi in a 88 ranger and never had a problem with it so I should be able to do it

Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I've got a 1968 f100 2wd and a 78 ford bronco that was rolled and I wanted to know if I can put the 4x4 running gear under the 2wd frame
.... and modify the massive 2wd front crossmember plus and anticipate mounting the steering system.

IMo, those who ask the 2wd to 4wd question are typically ill-prepared to undertake the job.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
New front x member to hold front leafs...not too bad

Locate and make holes for shackles(front leafs)...easy but make dang sure they are located right.

Custom engine x member cause 2wd aint gonna work...easy or difficult depending on your plan.

Might need engine mounts..at least sourced or modified from 4x4 truck...easy

Custom trans x member or at least relocated....difficulty unknown I made my own. Check for driveshaft clearance at trans crossmember at full bump and droop.

Might as well thrown a Redhead steering box in there along with a Borgeson shaft....should box frame and sleeve it for steering box mounting holes....due to 78-79 steering box being a bit short for 2WD frame you might have to sink it into the frame a bit.....kinda easy but dont forget it needs to clear core support.

T/C shifter and linkage..source from 4WD truck...easy

Mod floor for T/C shifter....easy

Support for T/C...easy

I wonder if the speedo cable will work????

New D shafts...it's only money. 203 transfer case and adapter will push the T/C yolk back far enough to keep front DS angles ok. Your stock setup should work ok.

Make sure the oil filter wont get whacked by the new front axle at full bump...ask me how I know. you want the oil filter mounted horizontally or relocated.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2 wheel drive frame is different then a 4x4 frame.Might be easier to lengthen the bronco frame to fit the F100 body onto it.Or cut the bed down to fit the new wheel base

Quick Reply: 1968 ford 2 to 4wd swap