Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high oil pressure at start up

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 08:03 AM
drm7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-23-2002, 12:50 PM
razer70
New User

Razer70....Hey guys,If anyone of you have read my posts .I have been having a prob,with my oil pressure.I have now blown the seals on two oil filters 1 bosch and 1 fram.I got a motorcraft filter on now.Added fresh oil.Started her up she ran fine, gauge is stock but i believe it is accurate and reads pressure as far as low, norm,or high. .Normal position in center is where it usually stays maybe a lil above normal.I let her run for a good 20 min and the gauge as i watch was at normal or lil higher,then it would fluctuate to about 3/4 gauge reading and go back to just above normal again.It will do this fluctuating off and on and when totally warm,It stays just above normal.I shut her off for awhile bout 45 min.Got in started her up and the gauge rapidly almost pegs to high oil pressure,i shut her down at this point quickly. this is about the point my oil filter seems to want to let go and shoot oil out i'm talking spraying right out everywhere.Any ideas guys i'm stuck on this one.Hope it's not the oil pump,looks like a big job getting in.Here are some facts for your info on this van.88 E-250 ford econoline 351-W engine new pcv valve,oil filter does not have 2 seals,pvc lines are clear and the plentum on efi is sucking plenty from the pcv valve.I can't drive her like that she could blow at any moment.Thks Razer.....................................

Old 03-23-2002, 02:11 PM
mickelsons
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what weight of oil are you useing?

Old 03-23-2002, 02:18 PM
razer70
New User

Razer70....10-30 wt razer

Old 03-23-2002, 02:24 PM
razer70
New User

Razer70....I went out and cranked her over again.oil pressure just above normal.Seems to be intermitent.If i instal a mechanical oil pressure gauge would i tap into the sending unit?Is there a adaptor that will fit on there so i will have both gauges operating,I would like a good gauge any recommended?Thks Razer.................

Old 03-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Avanti
Elder User

Sounds like a sticking pressure regulator. I had the same thing in a Y block Ford v8 years ago and had to pull pan & replace the oil pump. Some older cars hat the oil pump regulator on the outside of the engine which was great, not so Ford. I would attach the gauage where the current pressure sending unit is. You should beable to get the pipe fittings at a good auto parts place. Take in the oil pressure sensor so they can match the threads. On my 302 & 2.9 engines it looks like pipe threads.

Old 03-23-2002, 10:45 PM
razer70
New User

Razer70....YA THAT'S WHAT I AM THINKING IT COULD BE.i'M GOING TO PUT A OIL GAUGE ON HERE.i'D LIKE TO KEEP AN EYE ON IT ,TO SEE WHAT SHE'S DOING.tHINK ABOUT THIS ONE BUDDY OF MINE THINKS I GOT SOME BLOCKAGE SOMEWHERE,aND THIS OIL PROB WAS NOT A PROBLEM UNTIL.i REPLACED SOME LIFTERS ON HER AND OF COURSE REMOVED EFI AND INTAKE TO DO SO,BUT ALSO THE INTAKE LEAKED A LIL OIL FROM THE FRONT AND REAR INTAKE.nOW IT'S AS TIGHT AS KING TUT'S TOMB.PRIOR TILL THIS REPAIR MY OIL PRESSURE WAS NOT EVEN AN ISSUE OR A PROBLEM.rAZER................