Notices

Soon to be RVers Looking for Truck/Trailer advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:20 AM
WayneinChatham
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon to be RVers Looking for Truck/Trailer advice

Anna and I are retiring in 21 months. We've had Ford trucks all our 50 years of married life (we're healthy 68 year olds). We've had slide in campers. We've hauled goods in a fifth wheel with a F-350 diesel in the 1980s, and boats with a Suburban. We have a 2001 F-150 that we will give to our oldest son and buy a truck for hauling the trailer. We're guessing we want a 24-28 foot trailer, and we're thinking of buying a used one and remodeling for our lifestyle (any suggestions here). We are very good woodworkers, plumbers, and electricians. Don't know if we want a bumper trailer or a fifth wheel trailer. We want to travel the Northwest, maybe visit most of the National Parks. If you have advice about trailers and the specifications for the Ford truck, please help us. Thank you.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:10 PM
GuardDuck
Junior User
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Might want to try over in the Towing, trailers and 5th wheels section.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:04 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
My advice is buy a fifth wheel. They pull nicer, and the truck rides nicer. Plus you get a bedroom that doesn't take up floor space. A trailer that small, a new 150 will do it all day long... if it were me, I'd start no lower than a 350. Just because it's fun to set the cruise at 75mph and not worry.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-16-2015, 07:04 PM
HearseDriver
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I know this thread is a little old but if you still haven't purchased a travel trailer I would talk to people in Your Age Group about what to get. After talking with my brother who owned two 5th wheels (he recently purchased a pull behind) I bought a pull behind. I'm only 61 and disagree with SDElwood. Here's my reasoning as taught to me by my brother - who by the way is 2 years younger than me. Where's the hottest part of the house? Up at the ceiling. Where's the bed in a 5th wheel? At the upper most part of the trailer. Even with the A/C on in the summer there is no circulation up there. Also at 61 both my wife and myself have to get up in the night to use the toilet meaning one has to crawl over the other to use the bathroom. To get into bed you have to climb a ladder - fine if you're young but my knees aren't what they used to be and I have trouble climbing a long stairwell. Someone has to make the bed that's surrounded on 3 sides and do it standing on a ladder. At 61 this wouldn't be fun and at 68? My brother talked me into buying a pull behind with a walk around bed. Even with that I wish the bedroom had a slide out for even more room. We ended up purchasing a 28' (used) and bought a memory foam topper for the bed too. We got a good deal on the trailer so if we didn't like it I'm sure I could get out what we paid for it. So far I'm very pleased with it and glad I went with a pull behind. This is my first travel trailer so I can only give you info I was told by my brother which made sense to me.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:49 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
I've had both types and I prefer the 5'er. Having the bedroom at the "top" of the RV makes no difference. Ya just gotta make sure you have the right sized A/C and the fan works and the ducts are clear.

Oh and BTW, there ARE floor plans on 5th wheels that have the bedroom in the lower level.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Jonnybow
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as towing, a 5th wheel is far easier to tow BUT also generally means a bigger truck. I have a F250 and pull a 34' travel trailer. It's not difficult and I have plenty of truck but the 5th wheel trailers ride so much better.
I think looking at as many campers as you possibly can and asking every person you know who owns one what they like/dislike is a great start. New campers are so much different than ones even 5-6 years ago.