brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 03:10 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Your problem must be on the two colored wires going to the rear. You might want to go to the rear of the truck, find the plug back near the rear bumper that unplugs the lights, and unplug it. Plug back in the column and press the brake and see if it blows the fuse.

Keep thinking of what might be causing it. Do you have trailer wiring back there? Fender bender in the rear lately? Anything happen along the driver's side frame rail?
I plugged the lower plug back in and the multifunction switch is still plugged in. I unplugged both rear plugs and the fuse didn't blow when I pressed the brake. Just the hazard lights works now.

Nothing happened to the rear of the truck, no hookup for trailer lights.

Something happen when I removed the dash. Only the wiring was left, some wires must of got pinched between the metal frame that's above the steering wheel.

From the lower plug at the bottom of the column, where does the wiring to the rear light run.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Through the firewall, and then down along the frame to the rear.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:16 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Franklin2
Your problem must be on the two colored wires going to the rear. You might want to go to the rear of the truck, find the plug back near the rear bumper that unplugs the lights, and unplug it. Plug back in the column and press the brake and see if it blows the fuse.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I plugged the lower plug back in and the multifunction switch is still plugged in. I unplugged both rear plugs and the fuse didn't blow when I pressed the brake. Just the hazard lights works now on the multi switch.

I'm I looking for a break on one of the two wires, from the lower plug on the column. To the rear of the truck? Now what do I test?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:26 AM
Franklin2
Plug everything back in. What do you have happen now?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 AM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Plug everything back in. What do you have happen now?
There's no power to fuses 1,6,7,10,11,14,15,17,18. Fuses 4,8,9,13,16 work. I check each fuse for ohms inside the truck and under the hood each are good. Could there be a relay that bad?
When I had the rear light unplugged. I backed probed the brake switch light green wire. I think that what caused the problem, no power to the fuse box. What 's next?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Franklin2
I don't have a good diagram for a 93 and it's power distribution. It does have a underhood fuse box? If it does, it's one of the first years that they started that.

The older trucks had fusible links under the hood, over near the starter relay/solenoid on the fender. When the early trucks started having fuses under the hood, it was usually just for special options and had very few fuses in them. They still used mostly fusible links for power distribution. As the years get later, they used less fusible links, and started using very large fuses for power distribution, usually in the 50-60 amp range.

If you have a large section of the fuse box that is dead, it's probably going to be up in the power distribution, more than likely a fusible link has blown. If you have a underhood fuse box with some large fuses in it, check those too.

P.S. I answered you last question as best I could. But again I cry foul like I did before, you said you were blowing fuses. You can't blow fuses if they don't have power on them. It sounds like you are going around in circles again. I will try to answer your questions as you ask them, but I keep having to go back to see what the original problems were, and it seems we are not progressing through this in a orderly manner. The bottom line is, you tore the dash and the column apart, and now it's not working. So the problem is most likely caused by that event, whether it's a loose plug or a pinched wire.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:31 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by mike L
There's no power to fuses 1,6,7,10,11,14,15,17,18. Fuses 4,8,9,13,16 work. I check each fuse for ohms inside the truck and under the hood each are good. Could there be a relay that bad?
When I had the rear light unplugged. I backed probed the brake switch light green wire. I think that what caused the problem, no power to the fuse box. What 's next?
This is a brand new problem. I backed probed the brake switch light green wire. I think that's what caused the problem, no power to most of the fuse box.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:39 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
some fuses are not getting power

"There's no power to fuses 1,6,7,10,11,14,15,17,18."

I meant the fuses are not getting power. When I pull out each of those fuses listed above out and I check for power there is no power.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Fuse box under the hood:

Two fuses 5, 22 don't have power going into them. Fuse # 5- o2 sensor heater back up lamps, daytime running lamps module canada models only trailor battery charge relay 15 amp small fuse. Fuse # 22- tfi module, ignition coil, distributor pickup, electronic engine control relay coil, 20 amp maxi large fuse. Any reason why these two (fuse locations ) would not have power ?

Old 03-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by mike L
Fuse box under the hood:

Two fuses 5, 22 don't have power going into them. Fuse # 5- o2 sensor heater back up lamps, daytime running lamps module canada models only trailor battery charge relay 15 amp small fuse. Fuse # 22- tfi module, ignition coil, distributor pickup, electronic engine control relay coil, 20 amp maxi large fuse. Any reason why these two (fuse locations ) would not have power ?
All those need the keyswitch on to receive power.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:51 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
fuse box fuses work now

Sorry Dave my mistake, I forgot to put in the key in. Back to the original problem now.

That makes no sense at all. What are you doing when you bypass the brake switch? You are doing it's job. It's job is to connect the two lightgreen wires together when the pedal is pushed. Why doesn't the switch blow the fuse when the brake pedal is pushed?
Working on that idea. I replaced the brake switch and fuse 13 blows each time now, when I press on the brake. What now?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
I unplugged the two plugs at the bottom of the column, the multifunction switch and the two plugs at the rear bumper. When I pressed on the brake pedal this time the High Beam On indicator, come on. My lights were not turned on and the key was not in the ignition. Fuse 13 didn't blow when I pressed on the brake.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
No brake lights

Dave I'd like to start a new thread with you. I'll come back to this thread and let every one know how we fixed the problem. I confused you to much.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:42 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
Got the dash off. I removed all the wire wrapping and I don't see any broken or pitched wires. Now none of the rear lights are working. I still can't plug the brake switch in, it blows fuse #13. What can I try next ?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:13 PM
mike L
Fleet Mechanic
no brake lights

Update All my other lights work. The key is not in. The truck does run. I have unplugged the two plugs at the rear bumper to the rear lights, the mufti-function switch on the steering wheel, the 21 pin plug going through the firewall and the headlight switch. There are two plugs at the bottom of the steering wheel. The one plug that turned off the lights in the cab, I left plugged in. I have cleaned the two ground at the kick panels. It blows fuse number 13 when I press the brake. What are some things I can check next?

Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: brake lights not working