1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Airbag Light On...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Trelease
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Light On...

2004 Exp XLT 5.4

Getting the airbag light staying on, its remains lit most of the time, occasionally it will turn off while I am driving, but eventually comes back on.

Getting code 1-2 (12) after ignition

Anyone know anything about what the code means and how to fix?

also, if you have read my other posts about the battery situation, this airbag light was on before THAT situation happened.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Check fuse #19 (10-amp). There should be +12 volt power to ground on both sides of the fuse at all times.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Trelease
New User
Sooo.....checked fuse 19 with voltmeter, only get voltage on both sides of fuse when I have the ignition on acc/run, no voltage on either side when car is off....what's the next move

Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Trelease
New User
Forgot I had the ford service repair manual for my truck, looked up the airbag codes and it's saying that a code 12 means a faulty/bad rcm and it needs to be replaced...ugh!

Anyone happen to know where is located? Need to get the part# off of it

Old 03-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my manual for the '05, which I suspect is very similar if not identical to the '04 on this part, the RCM is located in the center console, looks like it's under the storage box or at least very near it. Part number 14B321 in the manual.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Trelease
New User
Originally Posted by Skauber
In my manual for the '05, which I suspect is very similar if not identical to the '04 on this part, the RCM is located in the center console, looks like it's under the storage box or at least very near it. Part number 14B321 in the manual.
yes I located it in the ford service manual and you are correct, it is located underneath the center console.

My only problem is.... can I use a used RCM from another expedition?

Apparently there are different RCM's because some are with side curtain airbags and some are without (I have the side curtain airbags), I also found out that there is a slight difference in the systems with having either the 2nd row bench seating and 2nd row captain chairs (I have the 2nd row captains).

I noticed that the only things that change on the part numbers are the the first set of 4 number/letter combo and the last two letters, but the basic part number in the middle remains 14B321, can I just get one that matches the last two sequences, as 14B321-DA, or do I have to match the entire part number?

DA is what signifies the airbag system W/side curtain & W/O bench seating.

also, if I do get a RCM from another vehicle, do I need to have it reprogramed because of the VIN situation, or is it plug and play?

Lastly, I read somewhere that I can try to reset the RCM by unplugging the connector that goes into the junction box under the right kick panel and using a small jumper line to connect the two connections inside the connector and turning the car to ACC/RUN until I hear a loud beep, signifying the system has been reset.....anyone have any experiences with this..?

I don't think its actually my RCM that is bad, because the airbag light DOES TURN OFF occasionally while I am driving and stays off for a decent amount of time (during the drive only)

Old 03-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a faulty connection somewhere, I'd follow the circuit and inspect all plugs and reseat them and check for wires that has been rubbing on something.

Other than that, it could be a solder point inside the module, perhaps on the connector that has broken, if you're proficient with that you can try to open it and check the solder points. (unless it's potted and sealed, I haven't actually seen this module myself.. )

I suspect that using a module from a different car should be fine, at least for troubleshooting purposes. If you throw in one with side curtains, I guess you'll still get a airbag light, but with blinking codes indicating faulty side curtains and sensors. I don't think the module is specifically programmed to the vehicle with VIN or anything, maybe the configuration is programmed into it but I'm not sure. A dealer would be able to answer this, and may also be the only one that can perform the programming unless you have the Ford IDS thing...