1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F6 "Virginia" build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 PM
wardsd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1952 F6 "Virginia" build thread

I am thoroughly impressed and somewhat overwhelmed by some of the build threads I have been reading. This is my first restoration, I took an auto body class as a kid for fun but have no idea what I am doing overall. i also am not a good welder. But, with the help of this forum and over the course of this restoration I hope to get better at all of it. I don't expect to make the fast progress many make - slow and steady.

I had a 1952 Ford F1 that I bought in Austin Texas in the 1990's. I moved to Phoenix Az and decided I needed a truck with air conditioning so I sold it. Regretted it ever since. Been kinda looking the last few years just to see what was out there. Then this 1952 F6 showed up on Craigslist around the corner from me.

Took me three weeks to get it home - had to borrow a truck and trailer to get it.

The truck is the long wheel base. I think it is in very good condition - not so bad that I can't handle it. I bought it before hearing it run but when I went to pick it up the owner had gotten it running. The fuel pump wasn't working so he gravity fed fuel from a bottle. Run good considering. Also there was no radiator in it so we only ran it for short bursts. Not sure I can get these videos to work. If not I included a link.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vP9A_nqzjwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video loading it on the trailer

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ja_2Sp0EWkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another video lining it up with the trailer.

loaded on the trailer

Loaded

Unloading

Unloaded

Old 03-05-2015, 06:18 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to this end of the forum. Great way to start with lots of good pictures. I sure do like to see another one of the bigger trucks come alive.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 PM
wardsd
Freshman User
Here are some pics showing the condition. There is some rust - and previous repair - in the fenders. And there is some rust in one of the back corners of the cab.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Very nice looking truck. You've got a really good start there.
Mark

Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE Steve!

The fuel problem may not be the fuel pump. You may have crud in the tank and/or fuel lines blocking the fuel from the pump. I'd check that before trying to start it with other than the gravity feed.

Nice looking start. I do love the bigger trucks.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice place to begin. We really enjoy seeing a big one being saved.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Good bones on that one. It'll be a handsome truck when you're through. I wouldn't get too much into the replacement mode until the basics get looked at: fuel lines, tank condition, grounds/wiring, coolant flush, fluids replacement. Should be a fun project.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:59 PM
wardsd
Freshman User
The fuel problem may not be the fuel pump. You may have crud in the tank and/or fuel lines blocking the fuel from the pump. I'd check that before trying to start it with other than the gravity feed.
I was very happy to hear it run. Now that I have, i don't plan to do much with the engine right now. I Want to start with the body. Specifically the fenders.

However, when trying to start it initially, we were using a small gas can as the "tank" and a new piece of hose between the tank and fuel pump. So while the tank and / or fuel lines may have issues, it wasn't what was stopping the fuel pumping to the carb in this case.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good start, looks like a solid truck. Welcome to the FTE. Lots of good people eager to help. Nothing too stupid to ask. Where are you in Virginia? I could hook up with you if you need some help.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:00 AM
Grey Beard
Senior User
I like it, Then again I'm partial to the bigger ones.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:20 AM
wardsd
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ZOOT
Good start, looks like a solid truck. Welcome to the FTE. Lots of good people eager to help. Nothing too stupid to ask. Where are you in Virginia? I could hook up with you if you need some help.
I'm between Richmond and Williamsburg just off I64. Looks like your North. Probably less than 2 hrs. Maybe as I get into it we can meet up.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:59 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Mine's a F-1 so I don't have any experience with the drive train, but I rewired my truck, and did lots of body work. Certain areas will typically be rusted before others. Where the lower and upper fender pieces come together is a prime area for rust. I had to put in some patch panels there on mine. Welding skills required. I don't know how much experience you have for this project, but I'd be happy to help. Good luck with it.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:09 PM
wardsd
Freshman User
Question: The frame on my F6 has a double wall - a channel inside the channel. At least it is like that until the rear axle. It looks like there is some rust between the channels. what is the best way to treat that rust - in others words what is the best way to get in that gap between the channels. See pictures below.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Well, the only way to get rid of the rust would be to take them apart, but that is not at all practical. Because the steel is very thick, a good sandblast and then a rust inhibitor like Por 50, or Eastwood sells a rust inhibitor in spray or apply with a brush. It's never going to look like new, just get rid of what you can and coat over it with product of your choice. It may need re coating at some point, but it should last a long time. I'm sure others will chime in about which product they prefer, but that is the gist of it.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 PM
51F1VA
New User
I saw that one on CL. Very nice truck and it sounds great! I am also in VA just outside of Richmond in Midlothian. I have a 1951 F-1 all original driver in the process of restoration. Let me know if you need help, I can bring my truck for a visual.

Quick Reply: 1952 F6 "Virginia" build thread