6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Lost and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 AM
tdsforddiesel84
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lost and need some help

I have a 2009 f250 6.4 king ranch bought it used from a buddy of mine. This is my first diesel. The truck ran great with no issues when bought. I have dogged it out a little having fun. Quick back story that may have caused issues. Was doing doughnuts in a gravel lot for a good 5 minutes or so. After stopping i noticed i had no break pressure and no power steering. went a parked it that night and took a look the next day. No leaks or any thing!! Went to the local ford dealership and had them take a look. They said it was the power steering pump and maybe Hydro Boost. I replaced the power steering pump first on my own. Didn't solve issue so them i had a buddy help me install the hydro boost. After installation i noticed i had no pressure on the pettal. We bled the breaks and it it gave me more pressure but not all. I can step on the break and it is loose but stops the truck after about an inch of give or play in the petal. Went home and noticed the break lights were on and bought a new brake switch. That didn't solve that problem. I have installed the switch 4 times now and cant seem to get the lights to go off unless i unplug the switch. I need any and all suggestions that can help me get this truck back to 100% I don't know if i need to put another pwr steering pump in or where to go from here. I'm almost to the point i want to sell the truck. I know you have to pay to play and that's fine but everything i have to done fix the issues above hasn't helped...

Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 AM
fatboytx
Senior User
So, you changed out power steering pump and your steering is fine. Correct?

To change out the hydro boost you had to pull off the brake master. Did you disconnect the wires? Mix them up? Forget to reconnect? If you bled the brakes and it improved things then I'd say you got more bleeding to do or just pay someone to pressure bleed them. Have you crawled around and looked for brake fluid leaks?

Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM
tdsforddiesel84
New User
Originally Posted by fatboytx
So, you changed out power steering pump and your steering is fine. Correct?

To change out the hydro boost you had to pull off the brake master. Did you disconnect the wires? Mix them up? Forget to reconnect? If you bled the brakes and it improved things then I'd say you got more bleeding to do or just pay someone to pressure bleed them. Have you crawled around and looked for brake fluid leaks?

After replacing pump i still had issues with brakes and steering. brakes would whine like the power steering pump was bad as well as turning the wheel. after i replaced pump nothing changed. When i replaced Hydro boost no whining with breaks i have maybe 50% power steering but whines when not moving. while driving if im not on the break it turns better. If i have to use breaks and turn it whines and i have to use a lot of muscle.

My brake lights wont go off. someone said once the petal is still that should solve the break light issue.

I disconnected the master cylinder with two bolts and dropped it out of the way while i pulled Hydro boost out. No leaking power steering or brake fluid that i can see. I'm going to clean the engine soon and i will recheck after.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You might still have air in the system. Did you use Power Steering fluid, or Transmission fluid in the pump?

Check air pressure in front tires. Low air pressure will make steering difficult.

Is the ABS light on?

Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 PM
tdsforddiesel84
New User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
You might still have air in the system. Did you use Power Steering fluid, or Transmission fluid in the pump?

Check air pressure in front tires. Low air pressure will make steering difficult.

Is the ABS light on?
Tire pressure is good it has a sensor. i'm using transmission fluid as that was what it had in it when i bought it full synthetic mobile one. Whats the best way to work it out. And when you say air in the system are you talking about Brakes or the Power steering??

Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Air might be in the power steering/hydroboost system. They are tied into the same system. The only way I can think of getting it out is time from driving it, or jacking the front end up and sitting it on jackstands, start the motor, and work the steering from lock to lock, and hitting the brakes. Make sure the fluid is full, and check it often while doing this if you choose to go that route.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM
tdsforddiesel84
New User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Air might be in the power steering/hydroboost system. They are tied into the same system. The only way I can think of getting it out is time from driving it, or jacking the front end up and sitting it on jackstands, start the motor, and work the steering from lock to lock, and hitting the brakes. Make sure the fluid is full, and check it often while doing this if you choose to go that route.
So i have been driving the truck for a while now and i still have the same issue. I will try to jack up the front of the truck and rotate. The other issue i have is the brake lights wont turn off now that replaced the hydro boost. I bought the refurbished one from auto-zone. The only difference i noticed was the arm that attaches to the petal looks a little different. The OEM one is round with a flat surface on the front where the brake censor goes the one that i got from Auto Zone is just round all the way around.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:50 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
If I'm not mistaken, the brake light switch is under the dash by the brake pedal. I wonder if the rod on the new hydroboost is a little shorter and not allowing the brake pedal to come back all the way and hit the brake switch?

As for air in the system, if you drove it very much, it should be out, especially if you did some tight steering going from lock to lock.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Hydroboost requires the ATF fluid. Don't put powersteering in there.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you disconnect any lines or hoses from the master?

I'd be checking all the lines for the power steering system. Cooler and all. Look for kinks as well as anything strange. Could be sucking in air somewhere. Did you use the new teflon seal for the pump?

Also look at the pedal where it hits the brake switch. Make sure it's fully closing it.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:44 AM
ssharber
Tuned
I have found Auto Zone parts are crap. Especially when it comes to these diesels. You may pay more for factory pets but Ive never gone wrong with the exact same part being replaced by getting it at the dealer. Only true way of keeping these things running like they should be. Just my .02 cents worth