Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Most useful Shop Equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:19 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Most important of all: Eye & hearing protection!!!!!!!! Take it from someone that has damaged hearing after too much noise in the garage. I wear the ear muffs for everything remotely loud to try & save whats left of my hearing. Goggles are always on if there is any chance of anything flying. Eyes don't grow back!!!

Mig welder of course.

4 1/2" grinders, I have 4 of them. One with a wire wheel, one with sanding disc, one grinding disc, one cutoff wheel. No more changing accessories constantly, I just switch grinders.

I bought a couple of masking gadgets, the ones that put the masking tape on the paper as you pull it off. Two different widths of paper, LOVE them! So much better than using newspaper! Got 'em at the flea market, 3M brand, $5.00 each, loaded with paper!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Concrete floor, then a creeper and roller chair, followed by over head cover, then followed by walls. A very secure way to lock up any and all tools.

My likes are a easy to grab small tool bag/socket set with a 1/4 dv ratchet and reg and deep set sockets up to 7/16. And another with 3/8 dv ratchet, again with reg and deep well sockets.

Assortment of to 15/16-1/4 to 1" combo wrenches. and always a couple extra 3/8 thru 9/16 wrenches. 1/2 dv ratchet set for the big stuff, is always nice.

Having a bunch of tools does not matter, but having just the amount needed to do what you have too, does. Quantity does not beat quality. Quality tools last longer, that is why they cost more. And that results in less stripped hardware and less busted knuckles.

But I do shop at Harbor Freight too. One adjustable wrench is NOT a socket set, but a great way to strip some nuts. Then what, vice grip time....and a good pair of vice grips.

If you have air, and air ratchet is a time and effort saver and makes for a quick disassemble of stuff with lots of nuts and bolts. Also a great way to pinch your finger between the end of a wrench and a what ever the air ratchet spins the wrench into.

A drop light.... plug in or battery, battery one that matches a Dewalt set of 19V with a drill, sawzall, skill saw, 4" grinder. "Red Diablo" sawzall blades, better than a hot buttered biscuit.

Get what you need and use alot, rent those nice to have, but do not use enough to warrant buying it. Ball joint press, a tie rod fork, steering wheel puller. Build a good quality base set of tools and then MARK them. I use highway road worker day-glo orange or green. And or a Ford blue spot, but easy to ID makes for a better day.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't need a Beer Fridge so that saves floor space, just a Coffee Pot on the counter. Also the Coffee Filters are way better than Band-Aids as the white ones help to stop bleeding and scabs will not adhere the coffee filter to you so it just comes right off with reopening the wound, apply with a little tape. After having to pay a $1,400 ER bill for them to take a Dremel to my Eyeball after 3 days of me trying to scrub it out myself... I wear safety glasses. Music is covered.

I should have mentioned that safety items are important, however I thought that would be obvious. Multiple extinguishers, something to clean wounds and and stop bleeding, Saline Solution to spray out eyes also a Shot Glass is perfect for Saline and sealing around your eye socket (don't use if it has trace amounts of alcohol), plenty of Floor-Dry (kitty litter works too), Jack Stands are both a Tool and a Safety Item.

I need to pick up a cheap computer for internet access when I need to reference all the great information on this site and others. I have a HUGE library of automotive reference materials and am always looking for more.

The home we are renting is owned by a Plumber who remodeled with the intent of staying there till they had an "oops" baby and out grew it. So I have nice bonus items like Cold and Hot hose bibs outside and water running in the shop.

I'd have to say that the tool I like the most currently is my Pressure Washer, it makes every job easier/nicer when it's clean, I usually spend more time Under a vehicle washing it that cleaning the outside. It's also very versatile in that I can clean the vehicles, shop floor, driveway, house, roof etc etc etc

Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Hearing and eye protection are givens IMO... I always have a pair of ear plugs with me and wear them all day... I even wear them at the office.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:07 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All I want for Christmas is an ironworker.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Concrete floor, then a creeper and roller chair, followed by over head cover, then followed by walls. A very secure way to lock up any and all tools.

My likes are a easy to grab small tool bag/socket set with a 1/4 dv ratchet and reg and deep set sockets up to 7/16. And another with 3/8 dv ratchet, again with reg and deep well sockets.

Assortment of to 15/16-1/4 to 1" combo wrenches. and always a couple of 3/8 thru 9/16 wrenches. 1/2 dv ratchet set for the big stuff, is always nice.

Having a bunch of tools does not matter, but having just the amount needed to do what you have too, does. Quantity does not beat quality. Quality tools last longer, that is why they cost more. And that results in less stripped hardware and less busted knuckles.

But I do shop at Harbor Freight too. One adjustable wrench is NOT a socket set, but a great way to strip some nuts. Then what, vice grip time....and a good pair of vice grips.

If you have air, and air ratchet is a time and effort saver and makes for a quick disassemble of stuff with lots of nuts and bolts. Also a great way to pinch your finger between the end of a wrench and a what ever the air ratchet spins the wrench into.

A drop light.... plug in or battery, battery one that matches a Dewalt set of 19V with a drill, sawzall, skill saw, 4" grinder. "Red Diablo" sawzall blades, better than a hot buttered biscuit.

Get what you need and use alot, rent those nice to have, but do not use enough to warrant buying it. Ball joint press, a tie rod fork, steering wheel puller. Build a good quality base set of tools and then MARK them. I use highway road worker day-glo orange or green. And or a Ford blue spot, but easy to ID makes for a better day.
^^The basics ..

That is an impressive list

Old 03-05-2015, 10:18 PM
g-man-75
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
...but we have had a few trips to the ER over the past 23+ years, and if you've had any alcohol, i.e; BEER from beer fridge, they tend to not want to give you any pain killers.
Very true. I bumped my head, my friend took me to ER, they put 7 staples in my head with zero pain killers because I smelled like beer. Then I walked to the closest bar and called my friend to pick me up and the bartender saw my papers from the hospital and my shirt soaked in blood and refused to serve me because he thought I was on meds!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
That is not even a scratch on the surface of what I have. I inherited all my dads tool and guns when he passed away.

220 stick welder, 110 Craftsman wide feed, big bottle victor gauge torch set, 1/2 and 3/4 drive ratchet socket sets. Lots of air tools, hand tools, test equipment, hub socket both type, gear pullers, tie rod forks. Gravity metal band saw, 2 14" chop saws.....2 drill presses.

"Estate sales" and Auctions old automotive shop closing down are a great way to get some good "old" tools.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:31 PM
g-man-75
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A lift! Finally got one! Picked this guy up last week, 9,000 lbs capacity for $900 on craigslist. I'm in the middle of putting a disc brake conversion on the front of the Bronco. Life is good!

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts

Now that's funny right there!! When ya really want a drink!!
Yep, stitches or staples w/o painkillers,,, sooo not fun!!

Oh,,, I am jealous of your shop, AND 2-post!!! SWEEET!! Nice score!

Originally Posted by g-man-75
Very true. I bumped my head, my friend took me to ER, they put 7 staples in my head with zero pain killers because I smelled like beer. Then I walked to the closest bar and called my friend to pick me up and the bartender saw my papers from the hospital and my shirt soaked in blood and refused to serve me because he thought I was on meds!

Old 03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Bud Mud
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This thread went south,LOL. The OP asked about what every ones opinion was on most use full tools, turned into well i have this and that.lol Guess its my turn, i down sized because of back issues i can not build like i use to,sold my fab/chassis table,shear,54" slip roll, and 1 of my tig welders. My most use full is my 2 post hoist, best thing there is having back issues. Most of my tools i dont use much anymore but i can build about anything from metal and wood, there nice to have just incase but in the next few years im gonna have a heck of a tool sale. Maybe a thread showing our own personal shops, not where we work or our buddies but at our homes.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:37 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will happily update with progress photos of the shop I just got and as I outfit it.

Yes, a 2 post post lift would be lovely, I also blew 2 of the disks in my Lumbar a few years ago. They come up on CL pretty often but I don't have the ceiling height to utilize one unfortunately. I have worked in multiple shops with lifts and they are worth their weight in gold, especially for someone who's injured.

I don't mind seeing other people's shops. It's beneficial for seeing Layouts, what collection of tools works for the work I see people do on the site and I respect a well organized/clean environment as I am **** about that and with multiple Shared-Shop arrangements the last few years with people who could care less.... I can't wait to clean and setup all my tools, part of why I want to prioritize a list of what is useful so I can account for the sizes of the equipment and make my shelf heights and cabinet placement accordingly.

Truck ****, Shop ****... all the same to me. haha

Old 03-07-2015, 01:41 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
I can relate to being physically challenged and not being able to lift past my waist. I'm rebuilding my large shelter currently and putting a track system into my wonderfull crushed gravel floor. Then its time to finally build this gantry system I've wanted for the last year. Its going to be cable operated from the A frame through under the tracks to the other end of the A frame. Made a long list of cons and cures this last winter and I figure most of the bugs are worked out. Will find out in a month or so, its project 5a, 5b is rebuilding the shop.LOL

PS. I got a ton or 2 of "stuff" / crap.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:29 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Make a place in the floor along the wall opposite the door to put a Hazard Fraught Tools winch mount and winch. Use that to pull vehicles inside. If you have a place to mount a ****** block outside you can use it to pull the truck back out without moving the winch.

Put the air compressor outside in a seperate room/shed.

An old office chair works as a roll around stool, more comfortable too.

Instead of a hamper, get an approved oily rag can. They can generate heat and combust.

Fire sprinklers.

Go-Jacks, wish I had a set.

Top side creeper. I plan to buy one for work, maybe one for home.

Good dial back timing light with tach.

Exhaust hose. CO kills.

Mobile welding shields. Pieces of plywood with stands work. Keeps the unsuspecting from getting flash burns.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:09 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe my favorite tool is an 18 volt cordless impact. Small enough to get into tight places and powerful enough to break bolts loose. I actually used it last time I worked on rusty exhaust manifold bolts. Removed a few , what it wouldnt get the air did. It is perfect for this because it wont break them but will sometimes break them loose. And you dont have to drag an air hose out. Pack it with you when you go 4 wheelin or a road trip. Just keep batteries charged and you are good to go.

Quick Reply: Most useful Shop Equipment?