Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Chip install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:45 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Chip install question

I finally got my PHP 6-way chip with Gearhead tunes on it. I followed all the instructions and got it installed. I turned the key on, and the dash lit up. The truck fired right up, but the red "THEFT" light is blinking rapidly. The "Water in fuel" light is also on, and neither light behaved this way before the gauge install.

I'm certain I cleaned the contacts thoroughly before installing the chip. I haven't driven the truck yet, just let it run for a minute or so.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Themoose56
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
I finally got my PHP 6-way chip with Gearhead tunes on it. I followed all the instructions and got it installed. I turned the key on, and the dash lit up. The truck fired right up, but the red "THEFT" light is blinking rapidly. The "Water in fuel" light is also on, and neither light behaved this way before the gauge install.

I'm certain I cleaned the contacts thoroughly before installing the chip. I haven't driven the truck yet, just let it run for a minute or so.
My Theft light blinks for a few minutes then goes away, not really noticeable. As far as the water in fuel light that has me stumped, I've never seen or heard of anyone having that problem with a chip install but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in for you.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:40 PM
andym
Post Fiend
I test drove it and it ran great. I didn't really get on it but you can really tell there is a LOT more power in the pedal.

The theft light blinked rapidly for about a minute, then blinked out a 1-6 code at me 4-5 times before going dark.

The water light is still on - it may not even be related. I'm going to go out and dump the fuel bowl and see if that clears it up.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Themoose56
Senior User
Yeah the chip really wakes the truck up thats for sure. I've only used the 65 daily tune and it feels good that I can accelerate and keep up with traffic finally haha
How do you like the 4" MBRP exhaust? Thats going to be my next mod.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:05 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Themoose56
Yeah the chip really wakes the truck up thats for sure. I've only used the 65 daily tune and it feels good that I can accelerate and keep up with traffic finally haha
Right? I used to have to time freeway on-ramps to get between cars. I don't think I'll have that problem anymore.

How do you like the 4" MBRP exhaust? Thats going to be my next mod.
It drones quite a bit more than the stock exhaust does, at least to me. I didn't drive the truck all that much before I starting doing a ton of mods to it, and gauges were the last thing I did so I don't know how it affected EGTs on my truck. Between the exhaust, the engine noise at freeway speeds, and the CAI sucking in air every time the transmission shifts, there isn't much room left for conversation in the cab.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Themoose56
Senior User
Originally Posted by andym
Right? I used to have to time freeway on-ramps to get between cars. I don't think I'll have that problem anymore.

It drones quite a bit more than the stock exhaust does, at least to me. I didn't drive the truck all that much before I starting doing a ton of mods to it, and gauges were the last thing I did so I don't know how it affected EGTs on my truck. Between the exhaust, the engine noise at freeway speeds, and the CAI sucking in air every time the transmission shifts, there isn't much room left for conversation in the cab.
I opted for the 6637 upgrade over the CAI, I've got three buddies with the 7.3 F250 and they all had nothing but good things to say about it, it definitely made the turbo a little louder.

I feel you on the in cab chatter, theres none of that going on haha you end up screaming at each other until OD kicks in lol

Old 03-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
CAI is quieter in the cab. AIS for stock sticks, S&B for single-shots - those are the quietest. Resonator as close to the down pipe as possible tones the drone down, as well as the EBPV noise - but it sacrifices some exhaust whistle.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where I able to get the water in fuel light to go back off?

Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
CAI is quieter in the cab. AIS for stock sticks, S&B for single-shots - those are the quietest. Resonator as close to the down pipe as possible tones the drone down, as well as the EBPV noise - but it sacrifices some exhaust whistle.

55 up a grade and a whistle - YouTube

50 80 Uphill - YouTube

Are these vids of your "too quiet" exhaust?

I'm looking for very quiet. Whistle and outside exhaust is cool, but given a choice, silent inside cab wins.

I've read many of your threads and posts about...so many things (thanks!), including the FTE resonator thread where you complained about your exhaust being too quiet, losing the whistle.

I am 2002 7.3L EX Limited, all stock, looking to go to 4" exhaust for PHP Hydra with likely AIS intake, stock injectors, and Billet turbo wheel (ww2 or RiffRaff). For mostly long haul with family and towing our 6.5k camper.

Performance mode + MPG modes + Towing mode is what I expect from the programmer.

Can you share your best exhaust configuration for a decent performance and as quiet as possible inside the cockpit?

4" or 5" doesn't matter, whichever does best. Preferably stainless due to salt and snow here in PA.

Sorry, can't PM yet, still about 4 days, 23 hrs remaining

Thanks, and keep up the excellent topics. A lot of good info comes out in them, from all directions

Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Those vids were taken before the resonator was installed, but it's not the exhaust that makes the noise in Stinky. My S&B intake whistles a little, but the AIS was dead-silent when I had it. If you want a really quiet ride - sound-proof the cab (my Lariat has a lot of factory sound-proofing), and coat the VCs with something. I've heard the painted bed liner does a great job, but it's a topic of research because of the engine temps.

Injectors are the loudest thing on the truck. The new rigs aren't quiet because of magic exhaust components - it's the injection system. Watch a video of a 7.3L injector flow bench - you would swear the whole engine was on the bench.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Those vids were taken before the resonator was installed, but it's not the exhaust that makes the noise in Stinky. My S&B intake whistles a little, but the AIS was dead-silent when I had it. If you want a really quiet ride - sound-proof the cab (my Lariat has a lot of factory sound-proofing), and coat the VCs with something. I've heard the painted bed liner does a great job, but it's a topic of research because of the engine temps.

Injectors are the loudest thing on the truck. The new rigs aren't quiet because of magic exhaust components - it's the injection system. Watch a video of a 7.3L injector flow bench - you would swear the whole engine was on the bench.
The AIS that was 'dead silent' is the Ford Extreme Duty AIS? I seem to be narrowing down to that or the S&B. The S&B is fancier looking, but not decided if 'cool' is worth extra noise?

The exhaust is something harder to insulate against because of the temps, so I want to get it 'right' the first time. It is also the area I feel I know the least about.

You're right about the engine bay noise. I have in the 'later list' of possibilities some Dynamat or similar under the front carpets and up the firewall behind the dash.

Some sound will remain, for sure, and that's okay I like the sound of a diesel. But my hearing isn't so great any more as it is and I would ideally like to have a normal volume conversation with my daughter in the middle seat.

Maybe it isn't a realistic goal, but the closer we can get to it, the better.

At its quietest, you had a MBRP turbo back, then FTE resonator, then the MBRP muffler, all in 4", right?

My apologies if this was obvious or wrong, but been sick a couple of days- gotta be direct and use little words with me

Thanks.