1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Upgraded ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded ignition?

I've been reading about upgrading my ignition system, but I can't make heads or tails of it

What I have so far is that I'm gonna want bigger better plug wires, maybe a new "high-power" coil and do some kind of wizardry to the distributor to make it work better. Can anyone explain the last bit to me like I'm five years old?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Mister_King
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Look into Pertronix Electronic Ignition and there Flamethrower coil. They recommend you run 8mm wires, but I don't. Super easy / basic to install and it works like a charm. So many factors go into making your points not perform as well as they should and this eliminates all of that. No more wet points, no dirty points, don't have to adjust points, etc.

I would say it is one of the most worth it investments.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the GM HEI style distributers so I installed one from Assault Racing, then installed a Davis Unified Ignition module and coil, along with an advance weight curve kit from Moroso.

The DUI module allows for higher rpm and increased dwell time, and the coil has a higher voltage output available. Increasing the dwell time allows for more coil output. The longer the current flows through the primary side of the coil the bigger the spark can be on the secondary side. This allows you to increase the gap on the spark plug electrode to have a bigger spark.

8mm wires have more insulation to help keep the higher voltage inside of them. Less chance of shorting to the block before reaching the spark plug.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:57 PM
bmwcarl
Senior User
I just recently purchased a 72 F100 and this weekend I installed an electronic ignition conversion kit from hot-spark.com and a Pertronix flamethrower coil. It took about 1/2 hour to install both and the truck fired right up. I can't really compare the difference between the points set-up and the electronic ignition one because I haven't driven my truck much since I'm in the process of correcting other deferred maintenance issues but from everything I've ready you can't go wrong with the swap.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:01 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
And sometimes ya get lucky at the salvage yard... found a Pertronix and a bolt-on, Bumpside-specific Class III hitch. $30!

Old 03-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Definitely look into a new distributor itself too. They wear out, get gummed up, wallered out, rusty, etc. the distributor is the "brains" of the ignition and wear out (at least the bushings) or get a little sloppy fairly quickly. You want to buy a "curved" distributor suitable for your application, or curve it yourself. Trust Me.

The mechanical wear that buggers up dizzys is partly why Pertronix is so popular - the electronic pickup compensates for a lot of that wear, points will just not set up right with excessive end play wobble or runout in the distributor itself. Pertronix is a good system and allows for use of the OEM equipment without modification, but it can't compensate for the idle miss or erratic mechanical advance, failed vacuum diaphragm, etc.

I would suggest spend money on a replacement distributor and Pertronix Ignitor before boutique wires or bajillion kilovolt coils. An ignition system only draws what is needed. If the fuel mixture/plug needs 12k to fire, that's what it gets no matter what coil is used.

Don't use the cheapest wires either, use good quality resistance wires, plugs cap and rotor though replace them every couple years, they are a wear item.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
The Petronix is an excellent inexpensive upgrade. I have used them for years. I don't think you can do better for the money.

John

Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
And sometimes ya get lucky at the salvage yard... found a Pertronix and a bolt-on, Bumpside-specific Class III hitch. $30!

Good score on the hitch! I see "Hardcastle's" on the sticker. Is this a brand name or a dealer name and is there a part number on the hitch?

I have a painted (black) sport style rear bumper/brackets (from NPD) but currently no means to pull a trailer. I would like to find a Draw Tite-style receiver hitch that would fit up close to the bottom of this bumper and not one that hangs way down below it.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
10-4.. I've got a set of the OEM brackets too and have been looking for a usable contour bumper but they're hard as heck to find in the yards. I will likely bit the bullet and get a primered one from NPD.

yeah man, I was totally stoked when I happened on that bolt-on hitch. I had my eyes out for like two years until one showed up in the hard. "Hardcastle" is an RV parts dealer that sells shells, bed mats, lumber racks, and the like.. there is no PN on it... the sticker on the left is the manufacturer and all it has is warning language and a statement about its rating.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Nicktitan
Senior User
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I'm in the middle of tuning the truck up, so when I'm ordering cap, rotor, wires, bla bla bla, I'll have to get a Pertronix unit too. See if it can't help liven her up a bit hahaha

Old 03-04-2015, 03:55 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't miss with the Pertronix/Flamethrower. Simple and you'll never have to deal with eff'n points again.