Oil leak question, not from the valley or dipstick mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak question, not from the valley or dipstick mount

Hello,
I have a 2003 F250 with the 7.3. About 2 months ago I cleaned the valley and replaced every o-ring on the HPOP including the nonservicable plug, rebuilt the fuel filter assembly, redid the o-rings on the oil line connectors, redid the pedastal and turbo mounting points, redid the oil dip stick tube assembly on the oil pan. Well i got another leak, the valley is completely dry all the way back to the weep hole that drips it down the back side of the engine. The dip stick tube is still tight and no signs of leakage there either.
The transmission is really oily, and I am getting the drips from the passenger side but not out of the toque converter weep hole. The starter area and the transmission lines around that is excessively oily. The oil pan is tight and not rusted at all, it is definately oil and not transmission fluid or fuel. What else can it be? I have the hpx crossover and the fpx crossover from riffraff diesel and they seem to be fine as well. After an 450 mile drive towing a 40 foot 5th wheel I was about 3 quarts low.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Backdraft-14
Senior User
Is the valve cover dry? The gasket can leak, also IIRC there's an oil plug on the back of the head, fire wall side that can leak oil too. Also I would check behind the inspection cover while you're there. If those areas don't produce time to simple green/or use your favorite degreaser to start with a clean canvas to look over.

I imagine more members will chim in as well.
Good luck
Robert

Old 03-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
The valve cover is dry and the oil isn't coming from the weep hole as it is starting from higher than the inspection cover. My guess it will be the plug on the back of the head. Is it easy to get to? Can I get the kit from diesel o-rings for the plug? Hopefully this will be my problem. Since it is hard to see back there I might just order the kit and replce it then see if I am still losing oil everywhere.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:51 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I would follow Roberts advice and clean everything as best as you can, refill the oil and add a leak detection dye.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Backdraft-14
Senior User
I wouldn't throw parts just to hope you find the leak, that could become very expensive. By no means am I saying this leak won't have potential to be an expensive repair. It is just difficult to diagnose an oil leak with out having a first person view. If you could take a few pictures and post them that would help but no guarantee it will be an ah-ha moment. Getting the engine degreased will help tremendously imho.
I do wish you luck and a speedy repair.

Robert

Old 03-03-2015, 04:11 AM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
i'll have to chime in here.. i've got a MASSIVE oil leak. never seen anything like it. entire underside of truck is coated and dripping, block is soaked and dripping, even the underside of the hood is soaked near the turbo… truck seams to run fine.
thought my turbo blew but limped her home tonight and she ran fine… just oil everywhere… so, i'll clean and crawl under there just as soon as oil niagra stops.
i'm wondering if a rear main seal can leak this bad.
no tuner
no major mods
nothing to special about this truck… this problem happened out of the blue. also no smoke or coloration of exhaust. smells like normal burnt diesel.
keep you posted fellas.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:03 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bdpotts
i'll have to chime in here.. i've got a MASSIVE oil leak. never seen anything like it. entire underside of truck is coated and dripping, block is soaked and dripping, even the underside of the hood is soaked near the turbo… truck seams to run fine.
thought my turbo blew but limped her home tonight and she ran fine… just oil everywhere… so, i'll clean and crawl under there just as soon as oil niagra stops.
i'm wondering if a rear main seal can leak this bad.
no tuner
no major mods
nothing to special about this truck… this problem happened out of the blue. also no smoke or coloration of exhaust. smells like normal burnt diesel.
keep you posted fellas.
Degrease everything then start it up and look for the leak. Its not your rear main seal. To it sounds like one of your hpop hoses.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's almost never the rear main seal.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
yea, after reading a bit last night sounds like HPOP hoses or plug or valve cover seal or turbo pedestal.
I'll let y'all know what I find...

Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 AM
bdpotts
More Turbo
well, fired her up and noticed a couple' things:
1) filter bowl leaking from drain valve
2) fuel leaking from fuel pressure transducer attachment point
3) oil leaking from HPOP line from pump to drivers side cylinder bank
SOO…

gonna start shopping for new parts.
i didn't any oil leaking from turbo/pedestal which is good. the EBPV looked good. it was all just coated in oil… i got a good chunk of parts removed today to get easy access to filter bowl and HPOP.
i'll get down in there and clean the valley too..
i noticed a very small hole in the drivers side IC pipe. i hate to know what the stealership will charge me for a new one. i was thinking maybe just JB weld it? any thoughts on that?
also, gonna shop for intake plenums and maybe upgraded boots all around.

just don't have time or money right now to do injector work. bumma.

cheers guys! any input or feedback is always welcome. i work 'second' shift out here on the west coast.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Good to see you found the cause of the leak. Now why are you looking for new intake plenums? Something wrong with yours? If there's nothing wrong with them then don't replace it.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM
bdpotts
More Turbo
I was thinking of upgrading the plenums just b/c. I put them in my basket last night while shopping at RDP. after thinking about it and seeing the price and your statement, I agree. if it ain't broke don't fix it.
gettin married in August. that money could be spent on photographer and beers!