General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ammunition Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:19 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Ammunition Question

Hi,
I'd like to get a little clarification here. This has to do with changes in some laws , so please don't make any political comments that could send this thread to the club.

This is probably old news, but I saw something today about restrictions in ammunition -- "armor piercing" types could no longer be sold. This was reported as the most popular type (maybe just for AR-15s and the like).

I have my doubts that folks want it to actually attack anything armored ( at least any sane folks ). So, I'm just wondering why it is popular. I also wonder
if it's generally described as armor piercing, or if there's another less inflammatory description.

Thanks,

hj

Old 03-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
My understanding is that it has something to do with how ammunition are classified due to a 1986 law, that gives regulatory authority - whether something is deemed a pistol round or rifle, and whether there is a steel core or lead projectile, and whether there is a "sporting" purpose. Certain rounds already would fall into certain categories, but were exempt. I'm not up on the AR stuff because my tastes run more towards blued steel and walnut, but the ammo of choice for many is surplus from overseas - brass being somewhat expensive steel cased ammo is a bit cheaper. The same holds true for the projectile, I guess. Steel core instead of copper over lead, something like that.

Basically they plan to disallow what was formerly allowed. They probably mean body armor. The "interesting" part would be a ban on all steel core ammunition as "armor piercing", as well as a ban on conventional lead ammunition. Ergo, all ammunition is Verboten. Hm.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Here is the ATF site regarding this. As I read it, the prior "rule" on this stuff was they weren't too worried about it as it was rifle ammo. They aren't too worried about single shot pistols either. But AR based pistols have caught their attention. Note if you scroll down and read this whole thing, they mention keeping 30-'06 AP exempt, as they know of no semi-auto or other multiple shot capable weapons in that caliber.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...g_purposes.pdf

Correction: I should have said "handguns" for 30-'06.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Here is the ATF site regarding this. As I read it, the prior "rule" on this stuff was they weren't too worried about it as it was rifle ammo. They aren't too worried about single shot pistols either. But AR based pistols have caught their attention. Note if you scroll down and read this whole thing, they mention keeping 30-'06 AP exempt, as they know of no semi-auto or other multiple shot capable weapons in that caliber.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...g_purposes.pdf
I guess they forgot the M1 Garand rifle......arguably the finest combat rifle of WWII all the way into Korea........30-'06 caliber, 8 round box magazine semi-auto.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
I guess they forgot the M1 Garand rifle......arguably the finest combat rifle of WWII all the way into Korea........30-'06 caliber, 8 round box magazine semi-auto.
My error. What they didn't see is handguns in 30-'06. Unlike 5.56:

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/w...A_PDS-9300.jpg

Old 03-03-2015, 03:20 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Its a ban on 62gr green tip ammo. Very common for AR15 users like myself to train with a 55gr brass ammo for cost and save the 62gr for defense purposes.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:03 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I believe there is a pending presidential executive order to ban the green tipped rounds because they are designed to pierce body armor. There is a movement afoot by the Republicans to over turn or reverse these last-minute orders coming from The White House.

I can see the wisdom in this sort of thing because what law-abiding civilian really needs such tactical ammo? The sad part is if this is allowed to go into effect its potentially the slippery slope of further regulation we all do or should be concerned about greatly.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:49 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
On a related note, what's the latest news on the ammo shortage?

I heard awhile ago they were working on legislation that would prevent the government from limiting production and hoarding all the stock. Thus preventing any future shortage.

Things are getting a little better, but .22 is still impossible to find around here.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:27 PM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
On a related note, what's the latest news on the ammo shortage?

I heard awhile ago they were working on legislation that would prevent the government from limiting production and hoarding all the stock. Thus preventing any future shortage.

Things are getting a little better, but .22 is still impossible to find around here.
22lr is around. Problem is hoarders that buy it and resell on armslist to double there profit.

Haven't seen the 62gr stuff either.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:11 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I didn't read all the posts but the big problem is the term armor piercing. Any steel core round is labeled as armor piercing even though it will not pierce plate armor. They use the term armor piecing because a steel core round for the most part has a higher chance of penetrating body armor. Down side is any rifle caliber will penetrate body armor even if it was a lead core round.

Now not to get too political but there was a big sink out in California about banning lead core rounds as it supposedly harmed the envoriment via lead poisoning which they could not prove. With this "ban" that was being pushed then and the "armor piercing" ban that they are pushing right now, in California technically all ammunition would thus be banned as you couldn't use lead based ammo and now steel core ammo is being labeled as armor piercing and being outlawed.

Now while they are only attacking the .223/5.56 caliber steel core rounds because they are the most common the question people should ask themselves is where will it stop. Once you ban the first caliber labeling steel core rounds as armor piercing it makes it easier to get rid of the others. All of my rounds are steel core just for the simple reason is that they are the correct ammo my firearms were designed for. They didn't use lead core projectiles in 8x56R, 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, 7.62x38R, 7.62x25, or even 9x18, .45 ACP. At the time the firearms I have that uses these cartridges were designed they were steel core military rounds not lead based. That is the only reason why I use them and not because the government classifies them as armor piercing. We are talking about the same government that labels firearms produced or replicates one produced before 1899 as no longer being a firearm. While they are out dated and obsolete they still technically are a firearm but the law is written saying they are not.

In the end use what you like and don't let someone else tell you what you should or shouldn't be using by using "scare tactics" through mislabeling.