Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

March chat and general BS thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:12 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
March chat and general BS thread

February started out nice & pleasant...low's in the 40's with highs close to 70 and sunny allot. Then the psychopath turned nasty and we've had rain, snow/sleet and just down right unpleasant weather the last two weeks. It started snowing here Friday afternoon, snowed through yesterday afternoon when it transitioned to sleet then freezing rain. While I haven't been outside yet...the weather guessers are saying cold rain. Good reason to stay inside! I'm hoping the nice weather will be back soon, got too many things I need to get to outside and this crappy weather ain't helping at all.

From last month...
Originally Posted by riverking
I know where a 70 3/4 dually is, not sure about shape. I might let go of my 78 wrecker.
There you go Wally! This day & age at '70 dually would be rather unique.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
February started out nice & pleasant...low's in the 40's with highs close to 70 and sunny allot. Then the psychopath turned nasty and we've had rain, snow/sleet and just down right unpleasant weather the last two weeks. It started snowing here Friday afternoon, snowed through yesterday afternoon when it transitioned to sleet then freezing rain. While I haven't been outside yet...the weather guessers are saying cold rain. Good reason to stay inside! I'm hoping the nice weather will be back soon, got too many things I need to get to outside and this crappy weather ain't helping at all.
Agreed! Asked the wife to make a big pot of chili last night... hit the spot!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Yeah, the dually sounds kinda interesting, but then so does the wrecker.

Steve, I was out cruising snowy roads in the Jeep Saturday and saw a guy with several firetrucks in his yard. One is about like yours and the others appear a bit older. Want I should stop and get you a phone # next time I'm out that way?
I'm sure your wife would love another project in the yard about as much as mine would.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Steve, I was out cruising snowy roads in the Jeep Saturday and saw a guy with several firetrucks in his yard. One is about like yours and the others appear a bit older. Want I should stop and get you a phone # next time I'm out that way?
I'm sure your wife would love another project in the yard about as much as mine would.
Probably better not, shopping for HER truck now.

Do you know an old scrapper/preacher around Coyote Canyon named Bill? He is not far from you.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:41 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Doesn't sound familiar. Doesn't mean anything, though, I could know him and not know his name. I'm getting pretty bad about that as I get older.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Uhg.... Came home today to no electricity, what's it gonna be like when the ice comes tomorrow night.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Uhg.... Came home today to no electricity, what's it gonna be like when the ice comes tomorrow night.
Starting to sound like it's gonna get nasty.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by cookie88
Yeah, hope they're wrong, but we are expected to get 1-2" of ice and sleet. You guys are supposed to get snow, I'll take snow any day.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Steve Noland
Probably better not, shopping for HER truck now.
Ok, I'll bite. What does the boss have on her shopping list for a new (newer?) ride? After driving a 2013 Escape in Wyoming last summer...the wife wants to replace the little blue car with one. I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of leg room in the back seat of these new style Escapes. While they don't have as much as the Princess...but a lot better than the first generation of the Escape.
You'd think a guy that spins wrenches professionally would have an about 7Kw generator ready to go when things haywire. The only limiting factor would the tea bags for ice tea & sanity.
Originally Posted by cookie88
Depending on which radio/TV station you listening to...it's either not going to do much or we're going to have a blast again this week. Got the chain on the saw sharpened up, plenty of ear plugs, mix gas & bar oil...I say bring it on.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:10 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Whats the prognosis on your power?

It is looking like Wed eve into Thurs could get bad. I have heard everything from Ice to sleet to snow here, although I think they have settled on more snow than anything else.

I did go pick up a generator, it wasn't the one that I wanted, but it was cheap and it will run the necessities. Maybe even the heat pump if I disable the heat strips.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by zhilton
You'd think a guy that spins wrenches professionally would have an about 7Kw generator ready to go when things haywire.
Well, I have a little 2-stroke camping genny that's a total of 1K. It will run the fridge or freezer alone or the TV, satellite, Hughesnet and surround sound all together, so we're not without. There's the 4K Rv genny that needs some work, but........someday. ;-)
Wood for heat, so we're good to go!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tojoski
Whats the prognosis on your power?
We got power back about 8:30 last night, pretty quick seeing that they had to climb poles and put lines back up. Figure if we have a major ice storm we'll be one of the last to get power back since there's only two of us that live on that side full time.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:50 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
For the third time in a couple of weeks...the view out the window of my office today.

This is starting to get out of hand; this is Arkansas for crying out loud
Well, I have a little 2-stroke camping genny that's a total of 1K. It will run the fridge or freezer alone or the TV, satellite, Hughesnet and surround sound all together, so we're not without. There's the 4K Rv genny that needs some work, but........someday. ;-)
A two-stroke generator....gees that's got to be loud because it sound like it's got one of those Detroits spinning everything. Last spring I was looking at a 3.5Kw that has a built in 30Amp plug for use with the 5th wheel. The price was attractive...but I didn't like the "made in China" tag. If I could bring my work home with me...I figure the pair of 1500Kw "generators" that I use should be more than enough to power the whole neighborhood! I just couldn't afford to fuel them up (2500 gallon tanks each). And at 170 tons, I'm fairly certain the city would get upset after I dinged the asphalt.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Surprisingly the little genny isn't much louder than the Honda generators, even under full load.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Well we came through the winter weather unscathed. Just enough ice to keep us off of the roads and sitting in the house watching birds fight over the feeders. A pic from my living room window this morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: March chat and general BS thread