Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

March chat and general BS thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:15 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Well we came through the winter weather unscathed. Just enough ice to keep us off of the roads and sitting in the house watching birds fight over the feeders.
The deck looks great! Don't see the spa, guess the deck is bigger than it looks. The roads were exciting this morning on the way to work, but by noon the were nothing more than slush...and by 1700 they were dry and the idiots were back out in force.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
The deck looks great! Don't see the spa, guess the deck is bigger than it looks. The roads were exciting this morning on the way to work, but by noon the were nothing more than slush...and by 1700 they were dry and the idiots were back out in force.
Hot tub is in the lower center of the pic, the brown cover. Have no idea of what road conditions were here today, never left the house.
I'm back to working on the remodel, starting on rebuilding some of the kitchen cabinets. Then it'll be time to get a little more experience with laying tile for the countertops and back splash.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a little stripping done on the C750 today, pulled the fire hose reels and the pump house covers so I can start removing the water pump, manifold and valves. I want to have the Ward LaFrance body off ASAP.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:25 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Steve Noland
I got a little stripping done on the C750 today, pulled the fire hose reels and the pump house covers so I can start removing the water pump, manifold and valves. I want to have the Ward LaFrance body off ASAP.
Is there something wrong with the body? And I hope you've got a two post lift...or a forklift. Clearly it's not something you and "a couple of buddies" should do by hand.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:51 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Hey fellas. Realized today I need another truck, wrecker, or a winch on the front of my rollback. Chuncked out, half bald 10.00-20s in my swampy yard SUCK!!!!!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
Is there something wrong with the body? And I hope you've got a two post lift...or a forklift. Clearly it's not something you and "a couple of buddies" should do by hand.
I'm only removing the fire body/bed. I'm pulling off everything I can and then I'll drive it to work to lift the bed off, we have a fleet of fork lifts there. And you are exactly right, nothing light on this truck!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:52 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
Hey fellas. Realized today I need another truck, wrecker, or a winch on the front of my rollback. Chuncked out, half bald 10.00-20s in my swampy yard SUCK!!!!!
Who doesn't need another truck? And welcome to my world, my front yard right now...if you don't catch early in the mornings when it's frozen, don't plan on walking across it. I just about buried up to the knees Friday morning trying to get to the truck....thought I was going to have to call for a wrecker to drag my fat butt out of the yard.
I'm only removing the fire body/bed.
For restoration? Or do you have different plans for the truck?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
For restoration? Or do you have different plans for the truck?
The fire apparatus is out of certification and of no value. I am saving the pto driven water pump for irrigation, that's about it.

This is my goal, of course it will sit a bit higher being that it is FWD.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:16 PM
zhilton
Postmaster

This is my goal, of course it will sit a bit higher being that it is FWD.
Now that is kewl! What kind of ride are you planing to put on the back end? Maybe you and Walley should talk...especially since he just posted he was looking for something unique for hauling project/client vehicles a couple of weeks ago.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
Now that is kewl! What kind of ride are you planing to put on the back end? Maybe you and Walley should talk...especially since he just posted he was looking for something unique for hauling project/client vehicles a couple of weeks ago.
Well, I help host the MidSouth Econoline Meet up at Petit Jean every year and have a small collection of early Ford and Chebby vans. Most of what I haul will be 61-67 Fored Econolines.

There is another C900 fire truck in Hot Springs that would make an even better hauler. It has a little longer wheelbase and the frame is a bit lower to the ground. It's for sale on Central Ave. $3500.00

The nice thing about the fire trucks is that the fire apparatus scraps out well enough to pay for a bed that is better suitable for hauling. They also have a GVW max around 24000 lb, most have very ow miles and don't require a CDL.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
This is the C900 in Hot Springs

Old 03-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Steve, I've lived with my wife for over 38 years. She took one look at that truck and said, "I want a divorce.".
Descretion being the better part of valor, I guess I'll have to pass.

Spent some time on the '61 over the weekend, swapping out the cheapo floor shifter with no detents for a ratchet shifter I took out of someone's truck. Got it all trimmed out and adjusted today, and the damned starter went out on the way home from work. I don't really need another project...no matter what I say. Don't even have all 3 Harleys running yet and spring is almost here.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Water, water everywhere! Looks like all of that rain and ice you guys got is going to cause me a little trouble. The boat sound be out by the trees behind it and about 17' lower.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
We pulled the oak hose racks from the top of the 700Gal water tank in my C750. It has a full lid that bolts on, looks like we will have a nice tank for soaking parts in molasses. Gotta cut the rear skin off the fire body then we can slide the tank out. The dimensions are just right to be able to soak the bottom 3' of a full size truck cab.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:06 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Still

rising. :-( Slowly, but rising. Hope it turns around soon. We've already lost two flower beds with over $100 worth of bulbs in them and another is about to go under.
Oh well, that's the breaks of living on the river bank. Never permanently place anything on the ground that you can't stand to lose.
We have about another 1.5 ft. before the water cuts us off from the marina, but I'm sure its not going that high.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: March chat and general BS thread