2005 F250 steering issue - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

2005 F250 steering issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2015, 04:18 PM
New User

100-10x is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 F250 steering issue

Steering problem
2005 F250; Four Wheel Drive; Automatic; 93,000 miles; gas engine

The basic description that I have been giving people is that the steering will "stick" or "lock up" to the point that I have to use some force to get the steering wheel past the stuck point, when it releases, it's a " jerk, " THEN it sticks the other direction and I have to force the steering wheel back the other way again. So, in other words, when the truck decides to do this, in order to drive a straight line I am literally turning the wheel back and forth, probably only an eighth of a turn each way, but back and forth. If it's bad enough, I have to pull the truck over. If I pull over, sit and turn the wheel back and forth a few times, loosening it up (when I'm stopped, I can't say that I really feel it stick at all), I can pull back on the road and be fine. A lot of the time, it happens right after I've turned a wide corner (not specifically right or left. It does it both ways), say taking a corner at an intersection as a yield or turning through a wide intersection onto say, an entrance ramp to the highway. I would say in a lot of cases, even when the truck doesn't have "an episode," I can still feel a stiff spot when I'm driving down the road/highway. This is not a vibration-type problem.

Any light someone could shed would be much appreciated.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 AM
Elder User

Mcrafty1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just went through this last fall with my 07 F350........The u-joints in the front drive shaft(s) out at the front wheels (steering knuckles) are dry and sticking because the needle bearings have worn grooves in the cross under one or more of the caps, I found that when I replaced these my steering issues were completely cured. Hope this helps, It can get to be a scary situation when they get bad enough.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Senior User

427ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had a similar problem. The steering stabilizer rod had a slight bend. Couldn't see it with the stabilizer on the truck. I disconnected one end from the steering linkage and found the problem gone. Installed a name brand aftermarket stabilizer (don't recall which).
Old 11-21-2015, 02:09 PM
New User

Jeff Sheley is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100-10x View Post
Steering problem
2005 F250; Four Wheel Drive; Automatic; 93,000 miles; gas engine

The basic description that I have been giving people is that the steering will "stick" or "lock up" to the point that I have to use some force to get the steering wheel past the stuck point, when it releases, it's a " jerk, " THEN it sticks the other direction and I have to force the steering wheel back the other way again. So, in other words, when the truck decides to do this, in order to drive a straight line I am literally turning the wheel back and forth, probably only an eighth of a turn each way, but back and forth. If it's bad enough, I have to pull the truck over. If I pull over, sit and turn the wheel back and forth a few times, loosening it up (when I'm stopped, I can't say that I really feel it stick at all), I can pull back on the road and be fine. A lot of the time, it happens right after I've turned a wide corner (not specifically right or left. It does it both ways), say taking a corner at an intersection as a yield or turning through a wide intersection onto say, an entrance ramp to the highway. I would say in a lot of cases, even when the truck doesn't have "an episode," I can still feel a stiff spot when I'm driving down the road/highway. This is not a vibration-type problem.

Any light someone could shed would be much appreciated.

I am having the same problem and I was curious what you did in the end to fix it. Also, can the axle u-joints still be an issue even if the hubs aren't locked? I am so desperate. I've had it checked out and the ball joints are good. I've had a tie rod end replaced that was bad anyway and the others seem good. I have also replaced the steering damper and it made no difference. I had a mechanic flush and pressure check the system and the pressure reads good, and I am still having the problem. I've had three different mechanics drive it and of course it won't it won't act up when they drive it. Mine seems worse the colder it is. I am so over this problem. Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Junior User

Dbergeson is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the SAME thing, Everyone told me U joints etc. Ended up being I chipped a gear in the power steering box. IF joints and front end look good I'd start looking at the Gearbox.

Mine I would be turning left mainly try to go to right and steering would stick slight re push to left then back to right I would turn.