Sponsored by: DP Tuner

whats the best chip for the e99 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 PM
keiseldiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the best chip for the e99 7.3

Howdy! I am the owner of a early 99 f250 7.3. It has 155,000 miles and runs like a champ (other than cackle) Aftermarket wise it has a fully built auto transmission with a billet steel double clutch tourque converter and all the clutches inside have been doubled. It also has a tugger shift kit in it. It has a 4 inch mbrp straight pipe, cold air intake, and gauges. I used the ts chip and didnt like it much ( so im selling it). Ive seen that dp tuner is a favorite but what about tony wildman? Or any others. Im very open. Thanks and i hope to see some respond.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
DP is our sponsor here. TS has many tuners than can program it, you can send it to Tony Wildman, Brian at BTS, or Matt at Gearhead and one of them can fix you up. Many people have jumped away from the "send it in for reburn" type chips, they want instant burns. Hydra and the DP F6 can have programs emailed/downloaded to your laptop - then loaded into the chip.

I bought/installed the F6 with a lot of tunes, pulled it, bought/installed Hydra, then traded the F6 for some help with my truck.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:53 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keiseldiesel
Howdy! I am the owner of a early 99 f250 7.3. It has 155,000 miles and runs like a champ (other than cackle) Aftermarket wise it has a fully built auto transmission with a billet steel double clutch tourque converter and all the clutches inside have been doubled. It also has a tugger shift kit in it. It has a 4 inch mbrp straight pipe, cold air intake, and gauges. I used the ts chip and didnt like it much ( so im selling it). Ive seen that dp tuner is a favorite but what about tony wildman? Or any others. Im very open. Thanks and i hope to see some respond.
What's the best chip. I kind of cringe when people pose that question. What I hear them saying is I want to blow my **** up.

Rich (Tugly) has a post somewhere you should read.

I have Chips on both my 7.3 and 6.0. I love them. But, I'm also "conservative" when it comes to throwing fuel at these engines. Not without EGT Monitoring. You already have a 4" Exhaust. Anything bigger is a waste of time and money on an e99.

I have pulled many a Head on a Customers Truck only to see what somewhat resemble a Piston remaining (that's how I got my 6.0).

What one really needs to consider is how they want the truck to run under varying circumstances. Such as:

Daily Driver
Towing Light
Towing Heavy

and so on. AND, just as important is the Engines ability to perform before is says "I give up, I'm not playing anymore".

Every engine has its limitations. And, you need to make sure your truck is in tip top shape and running to specs BEFORE adding a Tuner.

I had my 6.0 for many years. Not near as long as the 7.3 I will never part with. But, I can tell you this from experience. The 7.3 in proper running condition, with a mild-moderate tune will out perform the 6.0 hands down.

It's not as fast, doesn't spool up as quick (totally different Turbo), but is more dependable, tows better (much better with a 20 HP Tow Tune and some transmission pressure programming).

It's like the Tortes and the Hare.

I've used just about every tuner / chip combination known to man. When you trade your truck in, the Tuners come off. I have a drawer full of them and have tried many.

I "personally" like the DP over the rest. Not because it's cheapest, nor most expensive. It's because the tuning performs well across the board so long as your "reasonable with your expectation".

I see a 7.3 around town that rolls coal constantly. It's one of the prettiest trucks with dual stacks out the bed I've ever seen. I've sat next to it at stop lights and turned my truck off to listen to it when it takes off. The fuel smell alone at idle will make you high. Before long, it'll be in a service bay with a healthy bill attached.

So, do your research. Like I said, get the truck 100% before tuning, and realize it will only do so much without costing you in your bill-fold.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Whatever chip you end up getting, to get anywhere near the most out of it you'll want a better HPOP. I have the Terminator T500 HPOP in mine and it made a big difference, in power, economy, and drive-ability.

In all honesty, the Terminator T500 was something that would have easily paid for itself over the life of my truck since I got an honest 1 MPG or so increase. But, it's the part throttle drive-ability along with the overall power that I enjoy the most. I used to have trouble holding any where near 2000 PSI of ICP and now it'll hold 3000+ at WOT under load. This is with the stock AB injectors.

I have an ollllld 4 position chip on my e99 that was brainwashed by Jody at DP and I'm very happy with it.

Terminator Engineering

Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke

Old 02-28-2015, 11:32 PM
keiseldiesel
Freshman User
I only wish to increase my fuel mileage and get better mpg. It is my daily driver. I tow with it maybe 20-30 times a year. So jody at dp can put his tunes on my ts chip?

Old 03-01-2015, 05:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
{beep beep beep} That was the sound of a backing bus.

Now you really need to click that custom tunes link in my signature. While there are tricks that can be performed in tuning for better MPG, I've seen some of these tricks in the AE data. The tuning can be, in essence, a foot cop. If I were to exercise restraint with my right foot, it would have about the same effect (which is very economical). However, if the truck needs "a set" to pass - your economy tune has them in a grip that dissuades the truck from getting too rambunctious.

The tuning link in my sig should cover how to get the truck to make better fuel economy - foot habits notwithstanding.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Changing the rolling resistance and aerodynamics of the truck will net you better mpg's, a chip not so much. You might see a small increase with good tuning, but most blow that right out the exhaust with their right foot.