Oil & Lubrication  

amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:46 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pipes p
Ok, amsoil is crap. Hope it makes your day. It's still going to be my oil of CHOICE though. It's my first day on this site, came across this thread, responded! How dare I , I'm a newbie! Tell you what, this will be my last post on this particular thread, please respond so you can have the last word......��
Hey Pipes. Don't take any of this personally. You brought up a thread that was dead, which puts it on the first page of the forum and resurrects it for those who flip thru the sub-forums. Title is "amsoil" and if shows as the feature thread on the main page, it will draw people in.

Which means more people read it today and have something to say.

As I said--and you agreed--there are many people with a great deal of resentment about Amsoil because many forums over the years have had oil discussions monopolized by Amsoil fans (and/or dealers) to the extent that no other discussion is possible.

So maybe treat Amsoil discussions similar to those about religion or politics and just don't get into 'em. Be quietly content with your choice to use Amsoil and instead talk about cam phasers on 5.4 engines or something fun

Don't judge your experience with the whole FTE forum on this one thread. If you want to make oil your hobby, go hang on the Bob is the Oil Guy forum but abide by their rules as well. I have spent time there and decided I have more rewarding hobbies than obsessing over motor oil.

Honest, FTE is a great forum with some great people and a good place to get tips and tricks that you might not find elsewhere.

Take care, and better to let this thread go away....
George

Old 11-17-2015, 06:13 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
What I don't understand is why anybody uses anything other than Ford recommended parts on their Ford. Why would I spend $13.99 for a K&N filter when a FoMoCo is only $3.99 and specified by the manufacturer?
This idea that we, as consumers, are better equipped to determine the "best" stuff for our trucks than the engineers that designed it or the scientists that selected it strikes me as rather odd.
I understand that people need to make a living and presenting their products in the best possible light is part of that, but we do owe it to ourselves to be smart consumers and learn to separate facts from hype.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:15 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wrvond
What I don't understand is why anybody uses anything other than Ford recommended parts on their Ford. Why would I spend $13.99 for a K&N filter when a FoMoCo is only $3.99 and specified by the manufacturer?
This idea that we, as consumers, are better equipped to determine the "best" stuff for our trucks than the engineers that designed it or the scientists that selected it strikes me as rather odd.
I understand that people need to make a living and presenting their products in the best possible light is part of that, but we do owe it to ourselves to be smart consumers and learn to separate facts from hype.
Although I agree with you on the examples of Motorcraft motor oil and filters (knowing that the filters are good Purolators with excellent anti-drainback valves) there are other brand cars where I would seek out a better part.

Just sticking with oil filters, both my Subaru and my wife's Civic use OEM filters made by Honeywell (Fram) whose construction I don't like as well as Purolator (having seen numerous comparison tests). So if I had my choice, I would prefer a Purolator Pure 1 oil filter on either of these cars. Actually, Subaru was using a good Japanese filter made by Tokyo Roki in '09 when I bought my Forester and knowing they were going to Fram, bought a case of 12 Tokyo Roki filters which were OEM but were better filters than the Frams they were switching to. And my opinion is not swayed by advertising but instead by tests where filters are cut apart, measured for filtration, etc.

And with something like front end parts, the hot tip on the van forum is to replace OEM stuff (which often wears out in 75k miles) with Moog. One guy runs a fleet, changed out OEM to Moog, and has (cough) 1.3 million miles on the van. So IF you do your homework, you can find parts superior to OEM.

George

Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Although I agree with you on the examples of Motorcraft motor oil and filters (knowing that the filters are good Purolators with excellent anti-drainback valves) there are other brand cars where I would seek out a better part.

Just sticking with oil filters, both my Subaru and my wife's Civic use OEM filters made by Honeywell (Fram) whose construction I don't like as well as Purolator (having seen numerous comparison tests). So if I had my choice, I would prefer a Purolator Pure 1 oil filter on either of these cars. Actually, Subaru was using a good Japanese filter made by Tokyo Roki in '09 when I bought my Forester and knowing they were going to Fram, bought a case of 12 Tokyo Roki filters which were OEM but were better filters than the Frams they were switching to. And my opinion is not swayed by advertising but instead by tests where filters are cut apart, measured for filtration, etc.

And with something like front end parts, the hot tip on the van forum is to replace OEM stuff (which often wears out in 75k miles) with Moog. One guy runs a fleet, changed out OEM to Moog, and has (cough) 1.3 million miles on the van. So IF you do your homework, you can find parts superior to OEM.

George
I passingly thought about including the disclaimer that other brand vehicles would call for other brand supplies. Admittedly, I haven't had a non-Ford or Lincoln vehicle in quite some time, so I don't even know what GM is using for OEM filters, etc.
The focus of my rather rhetorical question is, as you saw, oil, oil filters, air filters, even spark plugs, etc. I'm not above using non OEM parts such as bearing assemblies, or shock absorbers, or bushings and gaskets. Those items are often demonstrably better than OEM. Ford (and others) recognizes this as evidenced by the way their specifications require OEM or better, or ANSI or better, etcetera.
I am just baffled how items such as oil, oil filters, air filters, air intakes, and such continue to separate individuals from their money in some kind of placebo effect.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:20 PM
yetiman38237
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if amsoil is any good at getting blood out of a cotton shirt??

Old 12-03-2015, 07:18 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by yetiman38237
Anyone know if amsoil is any good at getting blood out of a cotton shirt??
Peroxide works best for that task...............

Old 02-17-2016, 04:32 AM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
Read a very good article on this but did not bookmark it. Oil is very political and everyone has their favorite. Mine was Royal Purple up to when Calumet bought the company. The article did indicate full synthetic has good qualities. On the ratings of the various qualities, Amsoil and Mobile 1 were consistently at the top on most all the data categories. I was surprised where Royal Purple fell to on most of the ratings. The overall consensus of the article was to keep the oil clean and use the recommend viscosity. Mixing regular and synthetic is not a problem. As an overall choice, not winner, the author would use, not recommend, Mobile 1. The article was not written to promote one oil, but to review the quality and cost of many of the name brand oils.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 AM
TruckinAL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snake oil is snake oil is snake oil . Don't believe the hype.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugzilla46310
Read a very good article on this but did not bookmark it. Oil is very political and everyone has their favorite. Mine was Royal Purple up to when Calumet bought the company. The article did indicate full synthetic has good qualities. On the ratings of the various qualities, Amsoil and Mobile 1 were consistently at the top on most all the data categories. I was surprised where Royal Purple fell to on most of the ratings. The overall consensus of the article was to keep the oil clean and use the recommend viscosity. Mixing regular and synthetic is not a problem. As an overall choice, not winner, the author would use, not recommend, Mobile 1. The article was not written to promote one oil, but to review the quality and cost of many of the name brand oils.
Knock it off damn it.

Who the heck do you think you are saying that in here.

This is an oil thread.

Ranting is okay.
Making outrageous claims is great!
Being prejudice and trashing any other oil except what you use....and the idiots who use it.

But no....you come in here being nice.
Spew some common sense and logic around.
Tell the truth.

Just stop it!

There is no place for this in an oil thread.

☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
I think AMSOIL would garner a lot of respect if they came to market with a full line of SAE, ANSI and any other specification on their lubes and filtration products.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think AMSOIL would garner a lot of respect if they came to market with a full line of SAE, ANSI and any other specification on their lubes and filtration products.
I think Amsoil would garner more respect if it was sold thru regular retail outlets and not by evangelistic pyramid-scheme "dealers" with a bunch of propaganda-based literature like the old Amway salesmen or Jehovah's Witnesses standing on my porch... Let 'em loose on any oil forum and they take over like locusts.

It's just oil. Some of our members drive trucks a million miles on any decent modern oil. Engines are so good these days that it's hard to scare people into using a specific brand product if they have never had an oil-related issue.

No offense to Amway salesmen or Jehovah's Witnesses

George

Old 06-04-2016, 06:45 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts

George
Aww c'mon---tell us how you really feel!

My mind wonders if Amsoil and Amway are/were in any way related?

Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
I think Amsoil would garner more respect if it was sold thru regular retail outlets and not by evangelistic pyramid-scheme "dealers" with a bunch of propaganda-based literature like the old Amway salesmen or Jehovah's Witnesses standing on my porch... Let 'em loose on any oil forum and they take over like locusts.

It's just oil. Some of our members drive trucks a million miles on any decent modern oil. Engines are so good these days that it's hard to scare people into using a specific brand product if they have never had an oil-related issue.

George

Thanks for the laugh.
I really enjoyed that....maybe too much since I mostly agree ☺

Old 06-07-2016, 12:26 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Singer sewing machine oil and toilet paper filters work fine by me

Old 06-08-2016, 05:50 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader