Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

shells or toppers what ever you call it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:57 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shells or toppers what ever you call it.

ok I did a search and found little to nothing on them so I am asking who has a shell/topper?
what brand is it?
what do you like and don't like about it?
I am in the market for one and need some input from those who know.
if you got pics of yours that would be awesome to thanks all

Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're looking for the "commercial" look, check out the ARE "DCU" models. My family has owned several and been quite happy with them.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Atlee
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a Leer. They did a great job matching my truck's sterling gray. I did not start out with a camper shell/topper.

I wanted the same thing I had on my 2005 truck, an Undercover tonneau. Unfortunately, it was not made for an 8ft bed.

So I went with a hard foldable tonneau cover. Unfortunately, we never could make it water proof, so I ended up with my Lear topper.

So far it's good. I haven't had any leaking problems yet. Another good point is I can put more stuff in the truck bed, and it will stay dry.

One drawback is the weight it adds, which reduces my cargo capacity. Another drawback is I can't carry any tall stuff in the truck.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
I have a Snug Top. This is a premium brand and the price reflects it too. Thick body, high end hardware, and stout latches. You'll be given the option to send in the gas cap from your truck for an exact color match, otherwise they will use your paint code. These are available only west of the Mississippi. It was a challenge to get mine to ship east of the Mississippi.

'09-'14 F150 has a tailgate shape that makes it difficult for a topper to have good looking lines. There are some ugly toppers out there for our trucks! Just look around and you'll see what I mean. Snug Top "Rebel" does a good job flowing with the truck. No unfinished fiberglass edges showing (most do), hides the bed rail and tailgate rail.

Mine has a latch handle that recesses into the rear glass and there is a dust/water boot to keep the key hole free of ice and dust. Sounds like a good idea until the first ice storm when it becomes encased in ice and you can't open the tailgate. I had to use a hair dryer to get into the back of my truck.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 AM
vans
Senior User
I have the ARE Z series, nice cap, second Z series I've owned, both held up well.
The Bad- cost around 2K

Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I have a Snug Top. This is a premium brand and the price reflects it too. Thick body, high end hardware, and stout latches. You'll be given the option to send in the gas cap from your truck for an exact color match, otherwise they will use your paint code. These are available only west of the Mississippi. It was a challenge to get mine to ship east of the Mississippi.

'09-'14 F150 has a tailgate shape that makes it difficult for a topper to have good looking lines. There are some ugly toppers out there for our trucks! Just look around and you'll see what I mean. Snug Top "Rebel" does a good job flowing with the truck. No unfinished fiberglass edges showing (most do), hides the bed rail and tailgate rail.

Mine has a latch handle that recesses into the rear glass and there is a dust/water boot to keep the key hole free of ice and dust. Sounds like a good idea until the first ice storm when it becomes encased in ice and you can't open the tailgate. I had to use a hair dryer to get into the back of my truck.

I see what you mean. I just visited their website, very very good looking products.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:54 AM
mrrish79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like the limitation of height cargo, I had one on a ranger years ago and sold it because I couldn't stack up much. I just installed a trxsport trxedo tonneau cover and it only leaks by the tailgate because of the tailgate step. I've seen some caps that go over the tailgate which looks kinda funky to me

Old 02-26-2015, 08:58 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Atlee
I have a Leer. They did a great job matching my truck's sterling gray. I did not start out with a camper shell/topper.

I wanted the same thing I had on my 2005 truck, an Undercover tonneau. Unfortunately, it was not made for an 8ft bed.

So I went with a hard foldable tonneau cover. Unfortunately, we never could make it water proof, so I ended up with my Lear topper.

So far it's good. I haven't had any leaking problems yet. Another good point is I can put more stuff in the truck bed, and it will stay dry.

One drawback is the weight it adds, which reduces my cargo capacity. Another drawback is I can't carry any tall stuff in the truck.
thanks I don't see needing to carry tall stuff in my bed, I have a trailer for stuff like that.

Originally Posted by QwkTrip

wow I do like the snug top. dealer I went to said to watch out for the celling tends to sag over time? have you ever seen or heard of that? I think he was just pushing me towards a century cap he has had in stock for awhile.
Originally Posted by vans
I have the ARE Z series, nice cap, second Z series I've owned, both held up well.
The Bad- cost around 2K
is the z series carpet lined? sorry I have looked at so much I am loosing my mind lol.

one more question hows your set up with double windows at the cab or a boot?

thanks all I am really leaning towards the ARE tops but it was a shock to see that they will run me about 3k installed. I was hoping for half to to 2/3 that. I guess you get what you pay for! the century cap was only 1800 out the door but its handles look cheep and so did windows.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
I have the Leer Legend, which is not found on their website, it's the "value" version of the 100R I think. I am happy with the paint match to my Silver truck. I am also happy with the look. It doesn't have much in the way of "features", since it's the cheapest one, but it suits my needs just fine.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:36 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
wow I do like the snug top. dealer I went to said to watch out for the celling tends to sag over time? have you ever seen or heard of that?
I don't know. I deleted the upholstery on my order. Dealer thought I was weird.

You can get whatever doodads you like, but I highly recommend two things:
  1. Folding front window option. Allows you to clean the back cab of your truck.
  2. The pet screen (if you go with Snug Top). I ordered the pet screen thinking it was just heavy duty bug screen. Nope. Turned out to be a metal lattice in front of the bug screen. After my initial, "What the.... ??" I realized it was an awesome idea! Protects the window from being broken by things you put in the truck bed. Imperceptible from the outside with the dark window tint.
I have an overhead light but I never use it because I can't reach it. Would have been handier to opt for the automatic light switch, but I was too cheap and didn't want to risk malfunction and a dead battery. What I should do is just move the light to a location on the side at the back where I can reach it.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:42 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Most of these models can be highly customized, so make sure you get what you want. Order it if you have to - don't just buy what they have in stock.

As far as carpeting, I have a Bedrug installed in my bed with the ARE DCU cap on top. The Bedrug is very, very nice... especially if you intend to crawl around or sleep back there.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM
vans
Senior User
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
thanks I don't see needing to carry tall stuff in my bed, I have a trailer for stuff like that.

wow I do like the snug top. dealer I went to said to watch out for the celling tends to sag over time? have you ever seen or heard of that? I think he was just pushing me towards a century cap he has had in stock for awhile.

is the z series carpet lined? sorry I have looked at so much I am loosing my mind lol.

one more question hows your set up with double windows at the cab or a boot?

thanks all I am really leaning towards the ARE tops but it was a shock to see that they will run me about 3k installed. I was hoping for half to to 2/3 that. I guess you get what you pay for! the century cap was only 1800 out the door but its handles look cheep and so did windows.
Regarding your questions with my ARE caps
Yes the cap is lined with carpet
This being my second cap I installed my own lights, used led strip lights and mounted to ceiling, saved a little money and I think my setup is better than what the factory offered,
My new cap I chose to not have a sliding window installed, my truck is a four door and I never used the slider on first, my fixed window is a drop down so I can drop it down to wash truck sliders when I want, I haven't missed having a slider yet.
The bad things I had happen to first cap was some of the door hardware set up or broke during the 10 years I had that truck, I broke the handle off on rear door trying to open, it was cold and I think the door was froze to cap and the plastic handle broke while opening, I oreder replacement and installed myself.
Both cap doors have a black plastic dust cover that mounts to bottom of door that overlaps tailgate, I replaced the cover twice on first cap and my new, (3 years old now), cover has a crack in it. This is a cheap setup and I wish they would design a more durable cover.
The fit and finish is pretty damn good, the fiberglass/gelcoat has never cracked, paint job is decent-I have a few fish eyes in the top of cap and I only see them when I'm waxing.

I too shopped till I was sick of it, it's a shame they cost so much, I also have owned a Century cap years ago and that was decent also.

I love having a cap, I like the added security when I go hunting I leave my clothes in a tote in back all season, right now I have a portable Ice Fishing Shanty that stays there along with my auger etc.

Good Luck

Old 02-27-2015, 08:23 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts
I've got an ARE, can't recall the series though. Front tilt/slide window, interior light,[hardwired], and I got the dual latches for the hatch, so there's no linkage to crap out. Seals up well, no leaks, color matches to body identical. Has nice carpet liner on entire interior of the cap. I'm happy with it. I only have it on in the winter, and use a Truxedo LoProQT tonneau for the summer.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:00 AM
FalcoDog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an ARE Overland on mine and I'm very happy with it. Fit and finish is great. Paint match is very very good and It will go through a car wash without leaking. I ordered mine with dual latches on the rear window because we get a lot of snow and ice here. I also ordered it with a front slider, roof rack and door switch LED lights (I highly recommend this option). Mine was delivered in three weeks.

For me, a good cap greatly increases the all weather usefulness, versatility and value of a truck.

Contrary to the popular myth, you will not get better gas mileage with a truck cap. If anything it will likely drop slightly. It had zero impact on mine except I think it rides a little nicer with the added weight on the rear.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FalcoDog
For me, a good cap greatly increases the all weather usefulness, versatility and value of a truck.
Yes
Yes
And No

Value will not go up. Not a single dealer in my area will leave a topper on a truck. Every one is removed and then truck goes on the lot. Dealers groan when they see a topper come in. Let's face it, these things look geriatric. I love having one, but not going to win any show n' shines with it.

Originally Posted by FalcoDog
Contrary to the popular myth, you will not get better gas mileage with a truck cap.
Brilliant minds at work.... Add 230 pounds for better mileage.

I could feel my truck slow down the day I put the topper on. It is that heavy.

Quick Reply: shells or toppers what ever you call it.