Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the forum, saying hello and looking for feedback on this truck...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 PM
andy9743
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to the forum, saying hello and looking for feedback on this truck...

hello all,
looking to get into an x and stumbled on this forum. i am in the NW ohio area. familiar with forums and this looks to be a no bs good one! looking for a sub 150k mile 4x4 v-10 limited or EB in white or black to lift slightly and run 35's for road trips and to tow my snowmobile trailer ( 4000 lb) several times a year...and too look cool. budget is 10k ish with another 5 or so to to lift, bring maintenance up to snuff and to make cool. this one just popped up close to me. has some modes that i value, few more miles then i'd like but seems the v-10 is solid.

any thoughts on it is appreciated positive or negative!!

Ford Excursion 4X4

thanks!
andy

Old 02-25-2015, 04:18 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Offer him $7,000 cash and keep your money for petrol.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:19 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V10's are great reliable motors... Looks like a nice Ex but the price is a little high for the mileage.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM
1NiceHarley
Senior User
Good:
Nice lift.
08+ mirrors is a plus
Nice Wheels
New headlights
body looks to be in good condition
2nd row buckets

Need attention
Drivers seat needs redone.
I would fix the rust.
Why selling after doing all the work and fluid changes?????

Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM
slowlanemcvane
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's way too much money. Were it a diesel, I would think about it...

Old 02-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Too much money unless those mods are exactly what you want then it might be a good deal. Personally I would pick it up if it were in my budget and the rust weren't there.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:52 PM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
As a point of reference we have been searching for an Ex with the same requirements as you for our pal Apocalypse over in this thread:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15116885

There's a ton of pages but just scan for the links we have posted. This could give you a better understanding of what you can expect to see around the southern half of the country.

That being said, I agree with everyone else the Ex you posted is overpriced.

Edit: I updated the link to go right to a post that has several trucks for sale. No need to wade through all 46,303,729 pages.

Last edited by JuanHuevos; 02-25-2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Link
Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WELCOME to the world of XXXs Andy: Dang that's a nice looking X. However if it spent the last 13 years & 185,000 miles in Ohio well the salt is a real bitch

"V10's are great reliable motors... Looks like a nice Ex but the price is a little high for the mileage. "

X2 <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig --> __________________ I also don't think they will ever sell it for that, so you can let them know you are interested & keep an eye on it

Old 02-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
As a point of reference we have been searching for an Ex with the same requirements as you for our pal Apocalypse over in this thread:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15116885

There's a ton of pages but just scan for the links we have posted. This could give you a better understanding of what you can expect to see around the southern half of the country.

That being said, I agree with everyone else the Ex you posted is overpriced.

Edit: I updated the link to go right to a post that has several trucks for sale. No need to wade through all 5,322 pages.
Fixed that for you, some of us adjust the amount of posts per page

Old 02-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Gungrove
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just bought a 2004 Eddie Bauer 4x4 v10 with 115,000 in very good condition with service records for a few thousand less but mine did not have the lift, wheels and tires so if you are planning on those upgrades anyway and are happy with the price I would try to get the best deal you can on it and be happy!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:42 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Being a fellow buckeye, don't buy a rusty Ohio truck for that kind of $$$$. If the doors are going, that's the tip of the iceberg.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
that's the tip of the iceberg.
Icebergs aren't that big
-Titanic lookouts

Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From the rusty ones I've seen, open the rear doors and look at the bottom rocker. The rusty ones go bad there. I would rather travel and pay more for rust free, then do your best to keep it that way.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:29 AM
andy9743
Senior User
thanks for the replies guys. spoke with the guy last night. the truck was a "toy" for him and wasn't used much. more of something to tinker with. he sent me some pics of the rust areas tough to tell whats what on my cell. also of note he owns and operates a body shop. he had plans to get it in and do the rust repair him self but has had to much work and working on his own stuff doesn't pay the bills, but he said we could negotiate that work as part of the price, at what cost i have no idea. said that he has some room to work on the price as well. truck was originally from east coast jersey area and has not been driven in an ohio winter. i do not know if they salt on the east coast like they do here in the midwest? i'd assume yes. said exhaust studs are original as far as he can tell but it is not leaking, steering is tight and the truck doesn't have any leaks. a/c works as well. he's about an hour from me think i may go take a look this weekend. anything else i should look specifically at?

pros for me:
color/options that i want
lifted to height i would lift to
shocks, springs, plugs, fluids are all things i would do but wouldn't have to
minor but radio is upgraded i like my tunes
mirrors
grill
headlights
brakes
essentially everything he has done are things i would have done and now would not have to...how much $ would the shocks/springs he used cost to do? 1k? i know how those type of things add up. i am capable of doing some wrenching myself but time/materials do add up.

cons:
miles scare me a bit (not sure if they should? have read about the v10s going 400k idk though?)
i do not like the wheels/tires (however he has the stockers that im sure i could get some $ off if i took it with them-i want the wheels in post 428 here:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...rsions-29.html
i think the above wheels are oem ford of off a duper duty?

it needs to not smell funny like a used car or my wife will object, lol he said it didn't. what do we think the truck is worth cash price? he may also be interested in one of my current dd's an 05 escalade on trade if we can meet in a good spot.

thanks for taking the time to read guys!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
East coast salting habits are extreme! I wish they would tone it down a notch and require folks to drive with winter tires instead of slicks.

Quick Reply: new to the forum, saying hello and looking for feedback on this truck...