Sponsored by: Moser

Rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:11 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Rear speakers

I'm redoing my interior. At the risk of sounding heretic (?)has anyone ever tried to put speakers in the side/back of the cab behind the doors? It seems to be pretty hollow there and possibly a good location. 6" X 9" or 6 1/2" with seperate tweeters? It would have to be cut out of course (Yikes!)

Beartracks

Old 02-25-2015, 01:55 PM
greentruck72
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have seen it done, i have also seen people build boxes and mount them to the back wall of the cab, if you go to cut into be sure to get it even.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:30 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you go to a concert and sit with your back to the stage? A nice quality front stage is all you need.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:53 AM
ZohanisBack
New User
I would place them somewhere in the front of the cab down by where your feet go. I've seen good results in classic cars with this setup before.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:27 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Don't cut up your cab for speakers. Make some simple mdf corner boxes if you have the room. These are the ones I made for my truck. They tuck up out of the way pretty good and should clear even a bench seat as long as you don't have a in cab tank.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 AM
I_Am_Ozymandias
New User
Hey CO425...

Those boxes are sharp! Great job man. You should consider making a batch of these and sell 'em! I'd stand in line.

My carpenter skills suck when it comes to angular geometry. Anything outside of 90 deg gets the eyeball guesstimate and nothing ever fits. (Because I have the attention span of a squirrel).
Where do I send the check to?

BTW: What is the backing material you used on the back wall of the cab? And the ledge on the floor? Is that toolbox/drawer liner cut to fit or spray on bedliner? I want to put black/charcoal indoor/outdoor carpet on the back cab wall but I wasn't sure how to trim out the edges. Is that angle iron I see as moulding mounted to the cab wall?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 PM
redneck_davis
Senior User
I also have 5x7s(I think,maybe 6x9) mounted in MDF half boxes(shaped like a C,I never got around to finishing them) in the corners. Mine aren't fancy,or angled BC I wanted the sound to get between the seat and door. They were supposed to be temporary, one day ill fix them. That angled box looks great_nw i have somethin to shoot for.

I've also seen trucks with them cut into those corners. Would love to have bought a truck like that BC I know I don't have the heart to cut it out myself.

Those boxes are sharp! Great job man. You should consider making a batch of these and sell 'em! I'd stand in line.
yes I'd buy some too. What holds them upright anyway?and tight to the corner.
Mine stay tight BC there is 5ft worth of ported subwoofer box between them. No where to slide

Old 02-26-2015, 02:18 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Actually there is no place in the front for good speaker placement. I have very high quality Infinity speakers in the door but the opening is only a 4 1/2" in the door panel. If you go to a concert you here sounds from everywhere around you. Not just from the front.

I'm running kicker three ways behind the seat but they take up all the room. Those corner boxes are interesting.I'm just exploring all the options. thanks for the replys.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:26 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The holes for door speakers in these trucks are sized for a 6.5" speaker ... yes, the grill covers the top and bottom edges, but it's not going to attenuate low frequencies much, so that doesn't matter. The downside of the factory door speaker location is that it's not a great place for the tweeters. You could go with a component system with 6.5" woofers in the door and dash-mount the tweeters though, and add a sub under/behind the seat, if you're really going for sound quality.

As for rear speakers, their purpose isn't to improve fidelity or stereo sound staging, but to add volume. If you want it louder than you can get before distortion with good fronts, then go for it.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:59 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How is the amp mounted to the rear co425? I like the look of those speakers and the amp. I need better tunes in my 77.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:52 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
My front speakers do have a separate tweeter. I actually get more highs than I need. There not bad just being that occluded doesn't seem efficient. My amp was mounted on the floor. I may move it to the back plane.

The nice thing about the Kickers is feeling the bass through the seat but you have to get loud for that effect.

I added a pic in my user cp album.

As you can see I subscribe to more is better.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I_Am_Ozymandias
Hey CO425...

Where do I send the check to?

BTW: What is the backing material you used on the back wall of the cab? And the ledge on the floor? Is that toolbox/drawer liner cut to fit or spray on bedliner? I want to put black/charcoal indoor/outdoor carpet on the back cab wall but I wasn't sure how to trim out the edges. Is that angle iron I see as moulding mounted to the cab wall?
Thanks, I have too many project to start building for other guys though.

My floor is 1/8" Vinyl from ACC, and the speaker boxes, console, and amp board are all sprayed bed liner. The mount on the back of the cab is the old fuel tank bracket. Highboys came factory with an in cab tank.

Originally Posted by bucks77ford
How is the amp mounted to the rear co425? I like the look of those speakers and the amp. I need better tunes in my 77.
I used rivnuts through the cab. I mounted 3/4" mdf to those and the amp is mounted to it with T nuts.

Also I will attest to using a component system for the front. Use the 6.5 hole in the door for a small sub, and a tweeter near the top of the door. In my book it sounds much better then a two or three way in the bottom of the door.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:42 PM
beartracks
Lead Driver
My project so far.

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Ethan5610
New User
Man that looks great. I am thinking of doing something similar to this very thing. I havent decided if i am going to do it or pay someone yet. You dont have the dimensions of those boxes do you?

Thanks,
Ethan

Quick Reply: Rear speakers